Sign in to follow this  
Kountry Boy

A.L.I.C.E packs?

Hey guys I need some help in determining what type and who makes an affordable Alice pack. My wife and I are planning on hiking the Appalachian trail next spring and I want to get the best bang for my buck. I'm looking for good product and one that will last all for a good price, any ideas or suggestions?

Well I plan on using the pack in the bush as well as for this trip and I have a large Alice pack from gear issue with an external frame which works great but it's military issue and I can't figure out who makes it. I'm jus wanting to avoid spending my wallet on buying a name as oppose to the actual product.

Since I'm active duty, I can only take two weeks at a time and we will eventually hike the whole trail but right now we are limited to about 10 miles a day and will spend 5 days going up and another 5 days in reverse on our return. We have and still are thoroughly researching this event and this will by far be the most demanding on foot traverse for me and new to her all the same and I'm use to having my Alice for large treks.

you could check Ebay. i have seen some good deals there. they also link some surplus dealers that could get you a good price. If you are active duty, find some places out in town. that was where I got my ALICE packs when I was in. Got some good deals. i got a brand new frame from a salvation army store in Jville. $9, no kidding. Perfect shape. No straps, but for 9 bucks, you cant go wrong. There was a milsurp store that had them for around fifty for a good one. just shop around, you can find em.

I paid about $35 for my large alice pack with frame/straps delivered off ebay.

I use it to haul about 45 pounds worth of guns and ammo to the range.

I sprang an extra ten bucks to get the shelf that attaches to the bottom of it to strap an ammo can to FWIW. Mine also came with upgraded padded shoulder straps.

The waist belt takes the weight off your shoulders and makes it a lot easier to carry with. the downside is that it's hard to get the pack to hug your body and not sway while you're walking. The molle ii packs are supposed to be better in that regard.

I'm actually getting a molleii large size assault pack(frameless) for a BOB with a lighter 20lb or so load. The molle straps really make it versatile.

I've read pros and cons of the molle vs the alice for hiking, a lot of reading and maybe some browsing at an army navy store could help maybe?

I use the Rifleman pack, It's big and when full it's heavy. Like me I'm 6'4 and at 300lbs I can handle it. I got it off ebay for 70 bucks. It is a surplus so it was used but still looks new. I you do get surplus alice pack make sure it's real and not a china reproduction. The tag will let you know

If you are looking MOLLE, get something NOT milsurp. My personal experience with the MOLLE packs that were issued (I have used the MOLLE 2 assault pack, and the ILBE assault pack) were they were subpar. Get something from some other company. Blackhawk, and 5.11 make good bags, and I would trust them more than the Milsurp MOLLE packs. I have posted on my good fortunes with the Rush 12 by 5.11. It is about the same size as a MOLLE assault pack, but it is much better, both in the comfort department, and the holding your stuff department. Shop around, and read reviews. Best advice I can give.

I have a large Alice pack, and I have a question for the better informed members. Is the secondary pouch inside the main compartment intended for a hydration system or just extra gear. Forgive my newbie esque inquiry but I'm curious about it. It's an odd shape imo

Makes sense. Mine is holding misc first aid stuff untill I acquire a decent box for it all. Thanks reg! You have been informative as usual!! I almost had to post a question about the straps not staying snapped when it was loaded, but i figured out how the little plastic fork deals worked through experimentation.