Sign in to follow this  
rezmut

Dog cart as a bov

I have several dogs and wouldn't bugout without them, but Igot to thinkin'-Idon't realy want to have to tote all their stuff if we go. Then Ithought of a dogcart-I typed in dogcart and hit search-was hit by just a s**tload of sites,even a couple with plans for making your own out of PVC and old bike wheels. ThinkI'm gonna try it a simple frame and one of those 6gal milk crates,my neighbor has a little kid bike he's asked me to take to the dump.Think that's about all I'll need. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

rezmut,

it worked for the Indians for centuries before they got horses. Depending on the breed, the dog may actually do better with a "JOB" to do for the "pack". Working breeds need jobs to be happy.

Just my not so humble opinion.

rezmut,

it worked for the Indians for centuries before they got horses. Depending on the breed, the dog may actually do better with a "JOB" to do for the "pack". Working breeds need jobs to be happy.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I agree Capt. Even a simple travois for each dog will work, just have some serious tracks to cover if evading pursuers. The travois allows tarps to be used that will be used to build shelter and the poles can also be used for building shelter.

I finished the cart yesterday,harnessed the dog to it and you shoulda seen her take off! funny as hell-she was just sure that whatever was back there was gonna get her bad... She finaly decided it wasn't going to do anything and calmed down,today she pulls it ok-still not quite sure about it,but handeling it ok. She didn't break the cart,so it must be pretty sturdy.lol

I made the cart -the frame is a U shape out of 2 5ft long chunks of 3/4inch PVC glued into Tees spread by a piece 14 inches long plugged the outside of the Ts,then drilled a hole for a 3/8 allthread double nutted-14"bike wheel-double nut again. The ends of the "shafts"Idrilled a hole through for a 1/4inch bolt,then put a loop of nylon rope from arround the bolt out the end to a swivel snap that clips to a Dring on each side of her harness. The bed of the cart is just 1 of those 6gal milk crates held on with 3 Ubolts. REAL SIMPLE!