Sign in to follow this  
rezmut

Bucket caches

I'm thinking about placing "mini caches" every few miles on the way to my hidey hole-nothing much,just some water,a couple cans of food,maybe a knife,matches&roll of TP. I live in high dessert country so stuff gettin wet isn't much of a problem. Thinkin about using 5gal buckets and maybe painting them redish brown to blend with local rocks. Anybody got an answer as to what spraypaint will work good? Any other thoughts?

I'm thinking about placing "mini caches" every few miles on the way to my hidey hole-nothing much,just some water,a couple cans of food,maybe a knife,matches&roll of TP. I live in high dessert country so stuff gettin wet isn't much of a problem. Thinkin about using 5gal buckets and maybe painting them redish brown to blend with local rocks. Anybody got an answer as to what spraypaint will work good? Any other thoughts?

that sounds like a pretty good idea! as far as spraypaint goes i would use the krylon fusion. it's supposed to bond with plastic, i have used it on some gun stock butt plates and they have held up well. hope this helps.

So, you are planning to leave them out in the open?

that sounds like a pretty good idea! as far as spraypaint goes i would use the krylon fusion. it's supposed to bond with plastic, i have used it on some gun stock butt plates and they have held up well. hope this helps.

Yes Sir thats the Paint !!Works on my buckets...color coded shale we say..

Keeping small stash'e is a great Idea. Im putting some thing's in the ground myself..JUST In Case!!

Tinderwolf,I'm not realy too woried about anybody finding 'em-out here somebody might take a drink if they were thirsty,but they'd most likely leave the rest where they found it: guess that's one more pluss to livin here. Oh ya, where I'd be leaving them is pretty sparsely populated,realy not much chance of anyone finding them anyway.

Caches have a lot of advantages and I basically like the idea you've proposed but I'm always a tad leery of caches. Once you walk away from the site, you no longer KNOW you have those preps! If you are playing 'you bet your life' it helps to have backup plans for a cache that has been discovered and is missing. Also, be sure you can find it again WITHOUT any technological aids. It does not help to have the GPS coordinates if the satellites are down or a wild fire burns down all of your landmarks.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Capt Bart-just to clarafie, I'm not stakin my life on these-just cuttin down on what I 've got to carry-I'll keep plenty of reserve to get me to the next one if somebody has helped themself to one. Mostly this is about water-only one "for sure" water spot between here and the bol and people live there-I'd like to bypass it if at all possable in a shtf situation.

having no Idea of the terrain if it were possible or useable how about a single large wheel cart kinda like a

drag wheel barrow the larger wheel like a solid / filled with silicone bicycle tire so punctures are not an issue.

aluminum tubing and a cross bar it can be used for shade / cover and as you go from cache to cache you could pack

off what you want even if it is a empty bucket.

I think it is a great idea and a person should understand that if you camp or stay if you attract attention or are being trailed

you can be pinned for a period of time or you may need to rest make repairs to gear etc.

in an area like the desert canned water and emergency food bars socks azz wipe as has been inferred by others, expendable

items and or extra water filtration a few drug and or medical items in travel sizes if you can seal them in mylar or

vac bags to add longevity and should something leak other items are not damaged if you use canned water dip them in

paraffin wax this keeps them from rusting should a liquid leak in the bucket I save and use medicine bottles for

numerous uses and buy different long term items than what i use short term I use lip balm in the plastic tube but for

a cache item I would use a jar type over plastic tube or bottle.

If you not worried about breakage you can can water in mason jars weave a T shirt socks and sorts between and you

have water and a set of clean clothes on top canned food and the new fire starter can be stored in jars as well hell

I store matches and many other things in mason jars and they come in all sizes and can last as long as the seal

an inert gas like nitrogen can be used to FILL as it is heavier than air and it will stop degradation if your just going to

hand tighten them the other great thing is you can use part of the contents {except food} and reseal and you would have a

cache still available to you if you had to return.

I think it is a grand idea and with a bit of tweaking with the knowledge of each persons area and needs it would work well

a few jaw traps a box of some ammo included and your more self sufficient than our ancestors I love to play with and make

ancient traps and tools but hey many of those people starved and died from want and need if I can avoid it I like

newer tried and true tech.

the nice thing is it can fit your wallet it can be as basic as water and beyond.

And think canned bacon, cheese, powdered peanut butter and pilot crackers HUMMMM good