Sign in to follow this  
antony

BoB food selection

A small plastic bottle of olive oil would probably be a good choice because you could cook with it or merely eat it for the caloric value of a healthy fat. Seasonings are also a must so the GSI Spice Missile would be a good choice as well. Clif bars and/or Soldier Fuel Energy Bars are good choices so everything I've mentioned could supplement your BOB well. I don't have an official BOB and really don't want one because the events that may occur in my area wouldn't require me to evacuate in such a capacity that I would need this type of food stuff.

From looking thru the answers that we are getting I see a divide it seems in how long we intend to eat from our BOBs although this should probably be a separate thread........just how long do you intend to eat out of your BOB? Not including food from trapping or fishing or hunting( I have a .22 in my BOB) or forage ( my oldest has a wild edibles book in his) just the food alone that you have in there.
i have 3 MRE's and 3 ready to eat sandwiches so i figure

6 days max then i'll be using the old 22 to pot small game...

I have a question?

has anyone Vacume sealed peanutbutter/I purchased large jars and want to down size them ..

Oh I do have dehydrated apples in vacbags..thanks for reminding me about jerkey and rice..Im bagging rice in 1/2 cup portion's,add1 cup of water and it's a meal with any meat and beans.

I have a question?

has anyone Vacume sealed peanutbutter/I purchased large jars and want to down size them ..

Try www.minimus.biz for scaled down peanut butter. They probably sell it in a cup similar to what you'd get butter in with a fastfood baked potato. The site sells miniature versions of all kinds of stuff. If nothing else take a look at it and see all the miniatures.

Try www.minimus.biz for scaled down peanut butter. They probably sell it in a cup similar to what you'd get butter in with a fastfood baked potato. The site sells miniature versions of all kinds of stuff. If nothing else take a look at it and see all the miniatures.

Thanks ..I spent some time looking at thier stuff..not cheap but useable and some good Ideas.

I live in an area where the weather can and does change alot in a hurry. If it is cold and wet a hot meal like a dehydrated camping meal, and or a hot tea/soup/chocolate/coffee, etc can be a true lifesaver. I know from experience that it makes a big difference in staying warm on a cold night if I can get a warm meal and drink into me before bedding down for the night. My pack & my girlfriends will always contain enough mountain house meals for a few evenings plus an Esbit stove and a few fuel tabs to prepare them. I pack some quick items also for trail food like Cliff bars to eat during the day. I also pack beef bullion cubes and tea bags. I try not to drink much caffeine during normal times so that I get the full effect of it when I need it. I plan to rely heavily on the traps, 22's, and fishing gear for food and try to save as much of the processed food as long as possible. Worst case we'd have some snack items and enough 2 serving mountain house meals for 4 days apiece.

Add a minnow net to your pack I have caught a lot of perch and bait for fishing also a grunt stick to call up worms they are good bait for bird traps.

I choose 2 cliff bars, 2 granola, bars, 1 lb of beef jerky, trail mix, rice crackers, 1 small can of tuna with crackers, and a small jar of peanut butter. I choose the 3 day window. I can always grab another duffel bag and fill it with food that I have on hand, but only if the situation would allow time.