Sign in to follow this  
antony

BoB food selection

What food do you think is the best option for your BoB?

To me the obvious answer is calorie dense ration bars like mainstay rations. They are nutritious and very calorie dense and need little to no time to prepare. As weird as this sounds olive oil might also be another good addition to food supplies in your BoB. Just add it to what ever else you are eating and you have some extra fat a good long term fuel for your body and a heap of extra calories.

I really don't see the advantages of MRE's or dehydrated hiking food. Both are heavier per calorie and the dehydrated food takes more time to prepare. I guess you have the flavor advantage but that seems silly to take into consideration in a life or death situation. Can any one give me there opinion on why alternatives to my preferred choices are worth considering.

These are ok IF you can take the SUGAR.

"calorie dense ration bars like mainstay rations'

I contacted mainstay last week to check the sugar content,My wife is a Typ 2 and we watch her surar very close.

Main Stay would only say that they were HIGH consentrate of sugar/Not how much sugar is in it..so If I want Sugar I'll take sugar.

but for normal people a sugar buzz does them good.Im normal and can take it not a problem.

But I will take Dehydrated because of the fiber count and the taste,and some dryed beans..soak them beans in a plastic bag..UMMM good..

JMO..

Hay Welcome antony...first post was great..

Welcome antony. I prefer a fishing kit, my traps and hunting/foraging for my food. I have MREs (what Vet doesn't...lol) and some dehydrated meals as well, but I count on chia seeds, trailmix, pemmican, jerky, parched corn, etc for my emergency rations. Regardless of what food you pack, it will run out if all your food plans are consumables.

Your choices are fine for just calories and I have not studied enough of their nutrition value to say whether they are capable of replacing full meals like the MREs or dehydrated meals. I see having a combination of the 2 types (ration bars and dehydrated meals) as being ideal. When TSHTF, even small mundane tasks such as eating a tasty meal can greatly enhance survival chances by keeping a person's spirits up.

Also, it would depend on how long you would be planning to be living off of your packed foodstuffs, just a day or so to get home or to a BOL, or are you thinking of needing something for longer term?

What food do you think is the best option for your BoB?

To me the obvious answer is calorie dense ration bars like mainstay rations. They are nutritious and very calorie dense and need little to no time to prepare. As weird as this sounds olive oil might also be another good addition to food supplies in your BoB. Just add it to what ever else you are eating and you have some extra fat a good long term fuel for your body and a heap of extra calories.

I really don't see the advantages of MRE's or dehydrated hiking food. Both are heavier per calorie and the dehydrated food takes more time to prepare. I guess you have the flavor advantage but that seems silly to take into consideration in a life or death situation. Can any one give me there opinion on why alternatives to my preferred choices are worth considering.

Each BoB abd Bug Out situation is a little different, unique to the individual or family involved. THis uniqueness is the variance you see in many BoBs. SOme people have plans to bug out, only to return a few days later after the dust settles, for instance those who live in hurricane flood plains, or tornado alley. FOr such short tem 'problems' Rations or MREs may be.. enough, to get by until you return home. However, given my particular situation, I dont live in a place prone to natural disasters, so if i were to 'bug-out' it would be a long-term solution to whatever Event occured. SO my food preps in my BoB would be a bit different. All non-perishable, but about as varied as I could get, to last me about a week.

I believe all us here agree rations aren't real 'FOOD'. But itll get you by for a while.

Also, it would depend on how long you would be planning to be living off of your packed foodstuffs, just a day or so to get home or to a BOL, or are you thinking of needing something for longer term?

My planned bug out location is at a family friends farm which is about 270km(168 miles) from my own home out in the country. So assuming I had to hoof it all the way there which is a depressing possibility I could easily be on the road for 12 days assuming I am not slowed down by injury catastrophe what have you. So I guess I plan to have 12 days worth of food in my bag 2000 cal a day.

Does any one have any experience eating ration bars for any period longer then a single sitting? If so how did it effect you? I guess its possible that the human body can not live off those bars after a certain period of time.

I would like to thank every one for there input.

Antony, I would look at mixing your food options up a bit. I would also add a few extra days worth of rations to my pack to make sure I had enough if complications arise. There is another thread on here about real calorie/portion needs (I'd have to look for it. I think it's under the food preps forum) are with some very good advice.

I keep the trailmix as a "trail" food, which is something you can eat while walking to keep energy up. Also look at adding some honey and peanut butter for high energy and high calorie foods.

My planned bug out location is at a family friends farm which is about 270km(168 miles) from my own home out in the country. So assuming I had to hoof it all the way there which is a depressing possibility I could easily be on the road for 12 days assuming I am not slowed down by injury catastrophe what have you. So I guess I plan to have 12 days worth of food in my bag 2000 cal a day.

Does any one have any experience eating ration bars for any period longer then a single sitting? If so how did it effect you? I guess its possible that the human body can not live off those bars after a certain period of time.

I would like to thank every one for there input.

a guy on youtube did it for awhile and lost weight while doing so

he ate datrex food bars it was more than 12 days i believe...12 days shouldn't be too bad...

I have a few pouches of instant oatmeal with fruit they are lite keep well and are easy filling meals, also I keep some instant cider, coffe, and hot chocolate, if your boiling water might as well make use of it, as well as beer nuts, and a can of oysters.

excuse me it wasn't 12 days it was 59 hours here is the video of his experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZbItcPJ990&feature=context-gfa

and then he crapped a cinder block

peanut butter, honey sardines and or anchovies raisins freeze dried pinto beans and coffee olive oil to cook game and some dry soup w/ noodles and chili mac mixes, jerky is a great additive to pinto beans.

I also love dried figs or dates or both LOL.

The problem with the food in the BOB is that it's in my car, I am constantly pulling thing out for snacking and sometimes putting them back. There is always food in there but depending on the season it could be jerky, or Reese's cup pumpkins or tuna pouches, or peanut brittle. Rotation is never a problem!

Not to high jack the thread but is parched corn like corn nuts, I really have been thinking of figuring out how they make them, seems a good way to store corn somewhat long term or to refresh some corn that is nearing its end

No, parched corn is closer to corn meal. They would dry it, cook it, then grind it down. Many of the Natives would add a small amount of maple sugar to help with the taste. It's a very simple and light weight trail food that accompanied many a war/hunting party on the trail.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2100129_make-parched-corn.html

I looked up a quick link for a reference. You'll find the recipe in many of the old cookbooks and books on Native American foods.

excuse me it wasn't 12 days it was 59 hours here is the video of his experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZbItcPJ990&feature=context-gfa

Thanks for the video it defiantly convinced me I probably should not try to live off ration bars in a situation I am going to be doing a lot of work in. I think I will pack some thing along the lines of 14 days worth of meals 30% mainstay 70% dehydrated hiking meals plus olive oil, peanut butter, trail mix and pemmican with dried fruit in it.

I live in an area where the weather can and does change alot in a hurry. If it is cold and wet a hot meal like a dehydrated camping meal, and or a hot tea/soup/chocolate/coffee, etc can be a true lifesaver. I know from experience that it makes a big difference in staying warm on a cold night if I can get a warm meal and drink into me before bedding down for the night. My pack & my girlfriends will always contain enough mountain house meals for a few evenings plus an Esbit stove and a few fuel tabs to prepare them. I pack some quick items also for trail food like Cliff bars to eat during the day. I also pack beef bullion cubes and tea bags. I try not to drink much caffeine during normal times so that I get the full effect of it when I need it. I plan to rely heavily on the traps, 22's, and fishing gear for food and try to save as much of the processed food as long as possible. Worst case we'd have some snack items and enough 2 serving mountain house meals for 4 days apiece.

From looking thru the answers that we are getting I see a divide it seems in how long we intend to eat from our BOBs although this should probably be a separate thread........just how long do you intend to eat out of your BOB? Not including food from trapping or fishing or hunting( I have a .22 in my BOB) or forage ( my oldest has a wild edibles book in his) just the food alone that you have in there.

Seems somewhat close the main difference is soaking the corn and pan vs deep frying. Thanks both look great!

Anytime Don. I bet it will be as fun to make as a family as they are to eat. Family time can be 1 night making it and the next enjoying it while watching a movie.