Sign in to follow this  
ArkansasFan30

Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) Review

Last Wednesday I decided to visit Cal Vet Supply online and purchase some of the antibiotics we preppers often read about. I was skeptical, but from what I know about the marketing of pharmaceuticals I considered it entirely plausible that drug companies sell drugs to pharmacies at outrageous costs which we incur when we purchase retail while selling the exact same products to veterinary supply compaies for next to nothing although amoxicillin costs very little at any rate.

I have a limited education surrounding antibiotics. I am merely a registered nurse, and new at that (formerly a police officer), and I'm in a graduate program to become a nurse practitioner. In my lifetimes I have been prescribed amoxicillin more than any other medication, and the purpose has always been centered around "green snot." Seasonal allergies with the occasional sinus infection and sore throat are the only illnesses I've ever had to combat, and amoxicillin is one of the typical oral antibiotics for such use.

I chose to purchase 250 mg capsules to investigate because my go to drug source, ePocrates, as well as lessons in my advanced pharmacology coursework suggest 250 mg and 500 mg doses as the for the problems I'm most likely to encounter and need an antibiotic for. One can easily use two capsules to arrive at 500 mg, but opening a capsule and weighing out half to arrive at 250 mg is unreasonable. I chose from the following:

https://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Amoxicillin_Capsules_250mg/Oral_Antibiotics

For $20.98 I paid for the 100 count bottle of 250 mg Fish Mox capsules as well as shipping. The bottle arrived Friday in a padded envelope. The clean bottle was vacuum sealed and covered with a foil-backed paper covering as well as a screw on cap similar to what you would find on many OTC pill bottles. The inside of the bottle smelled similar to a bottle of vitamins. The capsule has a red half and a pink half with "WC 730" printed on both halves in white letters. A use of drugs.com's pill identifier provides the following.

http://www.drugs.com/imprints/wc-730-wc-730-11998.html

ePocrates corroborates.

The bottle does warn that the product is not for human use nor for use in fish destined to become human food. It is also labeled to have been distributed by Thomas Laboratories.

http://www.thomaslabs.com/default.aspx

The next time I'm ill enough to see a need for antibiotics I'll take a pertinent dose of the amoxicillin (Fish Mox) in effort to determine efficacy. I believe the following antibacterials were also available from Cal Vet Supply: ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, cephalexin, clindamycin, azithromycin, metronidazole, and doxycycline. Tetracycline may have been and on another site I've seen fluconazole (an antifungal) as well as injectable forms that could be reconstituted for administration IM or IV if the user so desired.

Im not a nurse of any kind. All i know about antibiotics is from research ive done.

Ive read much about the debate over what is considered a suitable dosage and duration. (ie. How much anitbiotic is truely needed) Because of the whole issue of hospitals & doctors over prescribing anitbiotics. Thats why i read into it.

So i have also made a purchase of Amoxicillin. i had a tooth abscess giving me some pain, and chose to try the minimal successful anitbiiotic dose i read out of that research. And worked. SO i made other purchases.

I don't know nothin about this..so I will gladly eat pet antibiotics before going and paying (no insurance) ungodly amounts for a antibiotic..it's sad to think that right down the road i can probably find ANY prescription anyone could ever want or need...and I can't get penicillin or amoxicillin unless I go rack up doctor bills as pay full price out of pocket for them.

'pills' consist of 2 parts really. #1 being the actual Medicine and #2 being the white powdery stuff that acts as a method to contain the medicine.

THe pet meds stuff MIGHT be made out of something different. But everything ive read and information ive gotten from others... i havent heard one person say 'animal meds suk'

As for the label, these animal med companies HAVE TO label that way, to get around other requirements for distributing 'medicine', by saying its for animals and not humans. But as i understand it, people like thier own animal names. :P

If you think about livestock it shouldn't really matter. Mathematically, if you've ever looked at a decay growth curve you'll know nothing physical ever goes away completely. The residual amounts merely get even more miniscule. If a cow were to receive an antibiotic meant for cows it would never completely leave its system. Below you'll see a link from UC Davis that quickly showed up from a google search of "common cattle antibiotics."

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/INF-DA/Antibiotics-Dairies.pdf

If we extrapolate and assume that the same families of antibiotics are used for beef production as well as dairy production we know that some amount of the utilized antibiotic will be present in the beef and consumed by humans and be incorporated into the human tissue as well regardless of enzymatic breakdown. Some medication will not pass into milk in humans so we can extrapolate and presume that some antibiotics will not pass into cow's milk while others will. Whatever the case, they're definitely approved by the USDA and FDA.

I'm fine with taking the Fish Mox, but I'm not going to do it until I assess that I need it.