Sign in to follow this  
Sherrie

Video called ALONE IN THE WILDERNESS

WOW Has anyone seen it?

This is a story about a fellow who went to Alaska and used a 15 m camera to document him building a cabin

His name is Dick Proenneke and he is in a very remote area. Does everything by hand from start to finish and even grew vegetables.

Love even listening to his voice. Just a salt of the earth type of a person.

They show this film on cable channels.

SO good

So glad he got to see it. I have to wonder if he remained living there. I saw it so long ago. Its on tv now.

Do you know if he retired there or what happened to him.

Wouldnt you of loved to help him build it or even build one for yourself

As much as I have lived a fast lifestyle I have to say there is that other side to me that would do quite well in that remote

area

I always wanted to build my own place or assist doing it with my own hands. Loved to even watch him use the old fashioned tools that I have never seen before

he retired to california once he hit 80 something, his eye site was bad when he went into the wilderness but while he was there it improved for some reason, they made a second video of him out there that wasn't quite as good i have both on video/CD. yes i would have loved to make my own cabin like him or helped him build one like he did. i'm only 47 so there is still time he did it in his mid 50's. DOH! i loved the way he worked with wood he was a true craftsman. the show is on PBS all the time if you watch TV alot.

he retired to california once he hit 80 something, his eye site was bad when he went into the wilderness but while he was there it improved for some reason, they made a second video of him out there that wasn't quite as good i have both on video/CD. yes i would have loved to make my own cabin like him or helped him build one like he did. i'm only 47 so there is still time he did it in his mid 50's. DOH! i loved the way he worked with wood he was a true craftsman. the show is on PBS all the time if you watch TV alot.

I have seen that show twice now. I just LOVE it. What a great guy. If I ever have the opportunity to be involved in creating something like that I will. You really could appreciate his oneness with wood. He was respectful of nature, vegetation, animals and trees. Even watching him cook his little pot of stew was endearing. I wanted a taste so bad. LOL

here are some shortcuts one is the film you refer too sherrie I think they have 3 the other is a cabin made out of pallets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFGaW2FdKB4

http://repallet.com/3.html

Thank you SO much Juzcallmesnake I watched that pallet one and got inspired. LOL . Next time I see free pallets I am picking them up and I am going to try and build myself a shelter for my wood. I want a spot to stack any wood I chop and I want a shelter to keep the snow and rain off my back when I chop. As it is I only do it 15 min at a time. Hurts the muscles I forgot I had. Not sure if my axe is too heavy for me. Hopefully I will build my self up enough to be able to handle the axe better. Anyway, my point is I am grateful for the inspiration you gave me. I have no clue how to build one but I know I can !

It's one of my all-time favorite documentaries. Proenneke is something of a god to us in the bushcraft community. :)

OH yea ignore mi familia Mexican families living in the dump making a living in the NEW ECONOMY {rag picking}

it is always the guy in the pristine woods living in a beautiful sliced log cabin LOL.