Sign in to follow this  
OLD HOG

Patriots, by Rawles

Just finished this book, Good Read, It had some Informitive data as well as being able to keep my intrest.... started on "Survivors" During the Cowboy game, looks good so far!

Edited by OLD HOG

Patriots was a good read and had some very useful ideas. Unfortunately, I don't have the money or the type of career where I can pull up stakes and move to the American Redoubt. I feel certain I am in the minority here on this forum by not being independently wealthy or the beneficiary of a trust fund, but please don't hold that against me (tongue firmly planted in cheek).

I did not find Survivors as good a source of information and I am not sure I am going to pick up the third one, which is due out next year.

Had some great info, very though provoking. Of course I'm with Texas Bill on that one. If I could make all of the survival buys i need I would. However, I thought Patriots was an amazing read. It was very interesting, and written by a great author, the same author who runs survivalblog.com . I liked how the author included the parts hinting at the New World Order and the National ID Card during the rebuilding of society. The man is definitely educated but for those of us who have a very limited budget to work with it leaves much to be desired in terms of survival knowledge. As a work of fiction its fantastic and definitely enlightens you on the current financial climate a little bit. The best read I've had had to of been, The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving Economic Collapse. Hands down the most informative.

Story was alright in Patriots. Many of the pieces of the story are nothing but a how to. And it does have a lot of information. The author did a very good job of weaving information into a story. Worth picking up and reading.

Well, I screwed up and ordered "Survivors" before reading "Patriots". Dooh. I'm about 1/3 thru it. Pretty predictable. Prolly won't go backwards to read "Patriots". I already read his "what to do....TEOTWAYKI" book. How many people CAN actually pull up their roots and move to a remote location because of the POSSIBILITY the world could go to hell? To me the whole premise is frankly, ridiculous

I started to read this book and frankly couldn't finish it. While I respect Mr. Rawles and all that he has done and is doing, the book just didn't peak my interest. What threw me off was the "lingo" everyone was using. While I know "preppers" have certain acronyms and terms that are used, I felt what I read was a lot "you need to get these products/items".

That being said, I'm sure the book is a great source of information. IMHO I feel One Second After was a much better story. I'm looking to pick up Lights Out next.

I read cover-to-cover "Patriots". Was not impressed with it at all. While the information contained therein, is out-of-reach for MOST families and others in the real world. Realistic preparation seems to be poo-poohed, with an emphasis on more shoot-em-up style stories, etc. While bang-bang, shoot-'em-ups can sometimes be entertaining, I learned a LONG time ago, that trying to avoid certain situations by recognizing them for what they really are early on, is far better than engaging in violent action as a reaction. Just my experience and take on it.

I already posted this on the "Survival Fiction" thread, but thought it might be a good idea to do it here, too:

Just read Patriots by James Wesley Rawles (here's a link to the review on the Survival Cache site). It really is quite an achievement, with so much instructional information about prepping included along with the storyline, although I feel the "readability" of the book suffered at times because of it. For example, I didn't need 5-10 pages of explanations of all of the potential military and civilian comms and the history of encryption using coded book passages to understand that secure communication was essential. The first half of the book is the scenario that worries me most, so I found it especially enlightening; the second half got a little preachy and far-fetched, IMO.

I found it ironic (or perhaps fitting?) that one of the authors that is mentioned a few times in Patriots is Ayn Rand, because Rawles does fall into some of her patterns... specifically, picking action/characters that perfectly illustrate the point the author is trying to make, then after apparently deciding the reader is going to be too clueless to understand that point, hammering away at it again and again until it's more annoying than illuminating. By the end of the book, I was sarcastically thinking, "Wait, was I supposed to think that the Federal Reserve, Washington fat cats, the UN, and big government are bad? And the Constitution has been undermined due to mercenary, power-hungry agendas and the foolish and unaware permissiveness of citizens? And you say something about Jesus being Lord, and how reading The Bible is good?" LOL

That said, Patriots is a great book. I was thoroughly impressed by the breadth and scope of the writing, as well as how involved I was in the struggles of a fairly large group of characters. For someone relatively new to prepping, this could be a great way to kick-start asking those important "what if?" and "how would I?" questions. And for someone who simply likes a dynamic story, this is also a good choice.

I also read Survivors, which was a poor second as far as I'm concerned (Survival Cache review here, my review here). I'm not sure if I'll bother with the next installment.