Sign in to follow this  
CMHN

Hello from Northeastern Pennsylvania

Hello everybody,

I have been lurking for a while, reading some of the articles, reading the blog, and getting ideas. I decided to join the community. So for a little about myself.

Family:

I am happily married going on 13 years, and I have 2 children.

They are the most important thing in my life and I will do anything to protect them.

Education:

I have an Associates of Science Degree in AutoCad Design.

I am currently an AutoCad Designer and a CNC programmer for a structural skylight company in my home town.

In the past I have been a carpenter, electrician, plumber, welder, forklift driver and a supervisor for many of them professions.

Interests:

I have many;

I enjoy the outdoors, if I can work outside I am happy.

I collect scrap metal, its amazing the things people will throw away.

I enjoy carpentry, plumbing, electrical work, welding, woodworking, and sewing (yes sewing).

Im interested in learning blacksmithing and herbal medicine. I have been doing some studying on the subjects and find them fascinating.

Books and Manuals I enjoy:

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank I read this one in high school and thought it was great I recently bought a copy and plan to read it again.

Blacksmiths Manual Illustrated by J.W. Lillico

Wilderness Survival For Dummies by John Haslett & Cameron M. Smith (yea I know there are more serious books, but it has some good ideas and tips in it)

FM 21-76 US Army Survival Manual

Why am I interested in Prepping/Survival?

I was watching the news after the "Super Storm Sandy" came and wiped out parts of NY and NJ. I saw people that were without power for less than 24 hrs crying about how they were going to die if the power wasn't returned soon. Now I have never considered myself a prepper or a survivalist, but I know that I could have lasted for about a week without power if needed. I had enough food in the basement, I have a well with a backup hand pump on it for water, and I have alternative heating arrangements. Luckily I didn't have to use it since we never lost power nor did we get any damage from the storm. It still got me thinking about preparing for the next one, Im not a "Doomsday" fanatic, but I do believe that being prepared for what life throws at you is very important.

I am now doing searches on the internet for stuff that will aid me in an emergency, and if by chance a Doomsday scenario does happen, I would like to have the skills and resources to survive. I will be lurking a while, reading past posts to the forum and reading the blog. After I get comfortable here I will start asking questions and maybe even put my 2 cents in once in a while.

Thanks for having me,

Chris

Welcome Chris. I wish you Godspeed in your endeavors and we'll try to answer questions you pose..... insightfully even...lol.

yeah what he said. lol

hey chris, dont wait until you get comfortable, just jump in feet first. lots to learn here and going off your background you have lots to give already

but might not know it yet. so jump in and get ta postin up bro.

Welcome, Chris! My guess is that we'll learn a lot from you and hopefully you'll find a lot of useful information for your own preps here.

While we have some of the "create a fortified bunker, get lots of guns and food, and take on the zombie apocalypse" types here, we also have a lot of people who are focused on very practical, immediate needs - like what to do in case of a natural disaster in their area, or short-term survival needs if there's a problem with the grid or a temporary breakdown in order. You don't necessarily have to be convinced that TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) is imminent to recognize that being prepared to handle a smaller SHTF (s--- hits the fan) scenario is wise. Sandy was a big wake-up call for people, as Katrina was, and we'll all be better served if more people like you started thinking about how they could keep themselves going if there's major disruption somewhere.

Okay - I'm off of my soapbox now. Again, welcome to the forum! Can't wait to read more from you.

welcome CMHN or Chris and if your ever in Philly, piss on it for me.

well Matt101 asked for a something, I thought i would be remiss in not doing the same LOL

My job takes me to Philly and to NY City. I prefer my home town, the city life is not my cup of tea.

welcome CMHN or Chris and if your ever in Philly, piss on it for me.

well Matt101 asked for a something, I thought i would be remiss in not doing the same LOL

LMAO.............The city of Brotherley LOVE..as long as your carrying!!!