Sign in to follow this  
Sherrie

Do batteries last longer if kept in the package

Might be a dumb question to some.

If I buy a bunch of batteries from costco then break them up and put them in freezer bags am

I degenerating their life

Should I buy smaller packages and keep them in the package to make them last longer

Thank you my learned friends

Okay Thanks NavyVet

Matt I dont want rechargable because i may not have access to electricity.

Thats why I am thinking of stocking up on batteries

exactly sherrie and good thinking. i think our good friend matt was thinking more along the lines

of a renewable resourse for now and to keep your battery supply untouched.

The real key is not to allow conduction so do not just throw them in a bag if that is your plan tape the pos and neg with electical tape, keep them cool some batteries you can freeze and some you can not so the overall recommendation unless you know the difference is do not but keeping them cool 38-56 F can lengthen their storage life and keep them dry.

It seemed like Warrior really knows his stuff about batteries.

I have found the wealth of knowledge we can all tap into is mind boggling.

Saves the rest of us from researching absolutely everything.

thats what a forum community does sherrie. they share their knowledge.

I do not believe there is any credible data to show that storing batteries in any special way prolongs their lifespan. Mostly just old wives's tales otherwise.

Jumbo

US Army Air Force TB 43-0134 Battery storage, disposition and disposal. and each batterie also has it own DA PAM or Dept. of the Army Pamphlet.

Navyvet7 is doing some great stuff with small solar re charging..

Ok Im a re charge bigot!!

OUR phones/Nexes7/wifes wireless mouse &keyboard/All of our flash lites...our Midland GXT1000 radio's..wife's portable charger for the e cigs(she stoped smoking 3 years ago) are re chargable with the system we have,Long view..i have at least 12 of each aa&aaa..and rotate them in and out as needed..

jmo..

Jumbo

US Army Air Force TB 43-0134 Battery storage, disposition and disposal. and each batterie also has it own DA PAM or Dept. of the Army Pamphlet.

All I could find in that government gobbledygook was to "store in a cool, dry place". LOL. The manufacturers specifically do not recommend storing their batteries in a refrigerator or freezer. I'll take their advice. Everyone knows it is not good to take a cold battery and use it immediately, right?

Cold helps slow down the chemical process that results in degradation of the batteries (the standard chemical kind, can't say one way or the other for NiCads). While in the Navy we would store them in refers and freezers, but we would also wait to bring them up to room temp before use.

All I could find in that government gobbledygook was to "store in a cool, dry place". LOL. The manufacturers specifically do not recommend storing their batteries in a refrigerator or freezer. I'll take their advice. Everyone knows it is not good to take a cold battery and use it immediately, right?

Damn! I did not know that either.

I have much to learn <3

Get Sanyo brand Eneloop rechargeable batteries and use this charger

http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Solar-Panel-Battery-Charger/dp/B001ACXY6E

here is a list of the best as of now rechargeable batteries brand for the particular voltage you need and you need at least 4 of all of them and

double the amount of any device of one size if your device uses 4 have at least 12 if one goes bad your sunk.

is it perfect no it is the best for the price as are the batteries and the batteries recharge many hundreds of times without memory charge worries

and have a charge state that of a fresh commercial battery.

Get Sanyo brand Eneloop rechargeable batteries and use this charger

http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Solar-Panel-Battery-Charger/dp/B001ACXY6E

here is a list of the best as of now rechargeable batteries brand for the particular voltage you need and you need at least 4 of all of them and

double the amount of any device of one size if your device uses 4 have at least 12 if one goes bad your sunk.

is it perfect no it is the best for the price as are the batteries and the batteries recharge many hundreds of times without memory charge worries

and have a charge state that of a fresh commercial battery.

forgot the shortcut to the battery page dog gone it...... I hate not having an edit button......

http://www.metaefficient.com/rechargeable-batteries/best-rechargeable-batteries-battery-chargers.html

Hmmm

I think this is going on my list of things to buy. I like the idea that it will last a year.

My biolite stove will have the ability to charge ipads, ipods, phones etc... wonder if it could charge the recharger for batteries.

I am trying to prepare for a lack of electricity possibly long term. Meaning I cant recharge the recharger.

OH I am so pleased... that site you sent me to had a review on best flashlights and I JUST bought the one they recommended from a military sstore http://www.metaefficient.com/flashlights/best-flashlights-reviews-top-rated.html

That was a total fluke. I took the word of the salesman which I dont normally do unless I research. Phew! Guess I can start to trust his advice a little bit lol