Sign in to follow this  
Jumbo

Nothing Important - Just An Observation

Just had a short trip to NYC and flying in couldn't help but think about how I'd bug out of the city if the SHTF. The only reasonable way seems to be by boat. Depending on where I lived I'd have a boat in a marina, perhaps farther out on Long Island, or keep it at home and ready to go. Then I'd stock it up as much as possible or maybe also keep some provisions in a nearby storage unit. Of course, the season and weather would be a factor. Getting on the roads with millions of others would be out of the question. Getting to the boat might even be a challenge.

I, for one, am thankful to live in small Southern town (by choice) and don't have to worry about evacuting from the large urban center where I came from a couple of years ago.

I wouldn't consider an observation of your surroundings nothing important, it's always good to look for an escape strategy even if your just visiting an area. While I never lived in NYC I did spend some time there and in Jersey. I think your absolutely right, have a boat handy and keep it pre stocked with MRE's and water to last at least a few days until you can make it to your BOL or a landing point near it. At least with the boat pre-stocked all you have to worry about is getting to it which could be done via bicycle or moped even in the heaviest congestion.

But thankfully, I don't live there, and wouldn't. LoL

Ok so I will play the Devil's advocate here, with a mega-city such as New York traffic leaving the city could go from terrible to a nightmare in an instant so my question is which of the following is the less-risky option;

1) Bug out at initial disaster/ emergency/ 1st sign of trouble?

2) Shelter in place for a few days until the initial crowd dies down-then make a break for it?

In a mega-polis like NYC, I dont think we could reasonably expect the dust-to-settle within 3 days. SHeltering in place may allow you to last out the event itself. But the crowds of sheeple will be present for the duration. THe crowds of sheeple wont just go away after a few days.

personally, I hope I never have to live in a large city. 30 miles from me to my nearest big city is still too close, except for the major med centers for emergency and treatments.

New York, I had to go there once when I was younger man in the military. I spent a month there one night. That place isnt for me and I dont know how anyone can live there.