Sign in to follow this  
LooseLou

Bushcraft Knives

I have been reading up on knives as I am in the market for one or two new, more serious knives. I came across a few posts that suggested that bushcraft knives will do you more good than "survival" knives. I have looked at some pictures, and cannot understand why.. Can someone explain them to me? They seem kinda small for some tasks...

Lou, what is the intended purpose of the knife? If you want a general purpose knife, buy that type. Many people want a ‘survival’ knife and love the looks and functionality of a Tracker style knife. If you give us the intended uses and your price range, we can give you a selection of knives. And remember, you don’t always need to spend a lot of money to get a good, strong useful knife.

Agreed Coastie. Knives are just like wrenches and each style and type lend itself to a particular task. Some will be like an adjustable ("crescent") wrench and have more multitasking options. Most "survival" knives are actually garbage and count on the word survival to boost sales. It's the same marketing ploy used in the 1980s with the term "ninja" and you will see even more of the term "SEAL" attached to everything to ride the coat tails of a successful mission. JMO

Like Coastie said, we'd need to know more of what purposes and tasks you'd expect the blade to perform.

like the rest have said a list of what you want to do with it would be nice but i'll list my suggestions.

The Swedish Mora knife- This is exactly a serious knife but for the price EVERYONE should own at least one. They run about $13 and are awesome knives, razor sharp and tough enough to be used as a utility knife and I have used mine to split some wood

The Pocket Bushman by cold steel-While this is a pocket knife I have used it heavily as though it is a fixed blade (its big enough to be a fixed knife) and it has held up amazingly well and it is only about 25$ (poorfish.com)

Ka-bar-Currently do not have one but can't go wrong with a ka-bar and there isn't much you can't do with these except maybe widdle.

Gerber LMF Infantry-I got mine back when they were made in Oregon, think they are made overseas now. They run about $100 but it is a beast. I have beat the hell out of mine and it is still on both legs and it comes with a leg strap, sharpener and cord cutter.

Those are just a few suggestions I have for you now, however I do try to sway away from knives that are labled as "survival" knives with the exception of a few like the tracker. But if you go on ebay or cheaperthandirt and type in survival knife your going to get a lot of crap knives in your search. Hope this helps.

Tinder, Ka-bar has the Becker line to compliment their combat knives. The Becker BK15 is a nicely built knife and would work for chores and skinning in a pinch. The biggest issue I see is most buy a combat knife thinking they are the same as a "survival/bush knife", they aren't IMO. A dagger is great for its intended purpose but not the blade I want for surviving a wilderness excursion. I have a heavy Ruko tanto that I like for defense but it would suck as a skinner. I carry multiple blades to achieve my goals.

I will definitely check out the mora knife and some other suggestions.I am looking for a cheap and rugged knife I can tote around the canadian wilderness and use on canoe trips without having to bring more than two knives. Im thinking the mora knife and maybe the gerber, but i will have to check em out. I am also thinking bout getting a RAT 5 or 7 but will no bring that on trips as I will be a councillor and dont want to scare the kids. Thanks for the help guys!

Okay, I will probably order one of the mora knives, unless someone on the forum has a few lying around and wouldn't mind selling it to me. I will probably get the RAT 7 as my main bush knife then build my collection from there.