Sign in to follow this  
Navy2thDoc

Howdy From Houston!

Hi everyone, I have been a folllower of SC for years and a prepper way before that. I have been living in the Houston area most of my life and have been through three hurricanes and many tropical storms. From those experiences, I feel I am pretty honed in my skills of surviving through natural disasters. However, its the man made events that I worry about. My family escaped Vietnam in 1975 in a shot up C-130 while the runway was being attacked. There is nothing like the feeling of rolling down the strip expecting to be shot out of the sky at any moment. Recently, I had the opportunity to meet Mark and Mike while doing an episode for SC tv which will be shown on the Nat Geo channel. I know we talk about opsec alot and the risk of showing your hands but I wanted to show a more positive light on preppers unlike that "other" show. It was a great experience and I did not show everything I have or reveal all my plans. Either way, I hope it will be educational and entertaining. Thank you everyone here for providing an avenue for those of us who live by the motto: "Hope for the best but prepared for the worst"!

Captain Bart, thank you for your time in Nam. Veterans like you is part of the reason why I serve today.

Rick

welcome to the forum. Glad the c130 did it job. She's a beast when you need her to be. I met an engineer that escaped aboard a c130. His father and mother shoved him on the plane. They didnt make it. He was three years old and rode the plane with a marine. He vowed to give back to the plane that gave him freedom. He still works on the c130j program. His son just became a marine this year. Hope to hear about your experiences surviving in Houston.

Aside from the AD-6 Skyraider, which my father flew, the C-130 is my all time favorite airplane. Everytime I see one taking off, I look at it longingly. Everytime I get a chance to fly in one, the sound and smell of oil, metal........ahhh, feels like home!

Aside from the AD-6 Skyraider, which my father flew, the C-130 is my all time favorite airplane. Everytime I see one taking off, I look at it longingly. Everytime I get a chance to fly in one, the sound and smell of oil, metal........ahhh, feels like home!

I have finger prints on 168 J models. Just a civie helping make good things for you guys.

NavyDoc,

Welcome sir. Yes, I too have warm feelings for the C-130 .... always wanted to fly one and was never able to do so. There was this one trip where I met a C-130 out in a clearing and ..... but that is a war story. I'm told that when the Herc was being designed, they were having problems with the wing spar not meeting spec. Kelly Johnson showed up for a test and the spar failed at 94% (IIRC) of design load. Kelly told everyone that he'd be back in 6 weeks to witness the next test and if it failed everyone involved had best find a different industry in which to find employment. Six weeks later, at 127% of design strength, the test jig broke! Up until that ex-CIA bird (I WONDER if they EVER operated it outside of its design specs?) that was doing the fire bombing lost the wing there had NEVER been a main spar failure in a C-130. Not bad for a bird that first flew in 1954.