Sign in to follow this  
oregonchick

Another "going gray" thread

Just thought it was worth revisiting this topic because it's come up again in a few different discussions. For those who are new to the concept, there are two really useful articles from Survival Cache forum members:

OpSec: Protecting Your Preps (by Bama Bull)

http://survivalcache.com/opsec-protecting-your-survival-preparations/

The other one, I swear, is something that Capt Bart wrote about going gray, but either I am making that up or I'm just completely unable to find it on the SurvivalCache site! Here's a discussion he started, though (http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?1245-Gray-or-Gone&highlight=gray).

So... what are your best/favorite tips for going gray or at least staying under the radar of those people who aren't part of your post-SHTF plans?

Although it's not JUST about making sure visitors can't see your vast collection of canned goods, that is one component of staying gray about your prepping activities.

This woman posts some interesting ideas for how to store your preps out of plain sight:

http://www.calamityjanet.com/the-covert-prepper.html

This guy has some useful ideas for hiding preps, too:

http://survivalweekly.com/countdown-to-preparedness/hidden-storage/

There are also some interesting in-the-wall options that I've seen recently. They include things like bathroom tiles that conceal a hiding place for small items, what looks like an electrical outlet that flips out for small storage, a wall safe that looks like an A/C vent, people making shelves in the space between studs in their walls, etc.

Finding it impossible to practice knots or read all the survival books I bought as this forum, links and you guys are so damned interesting.

Starting tomorrow I am only allowing myself equal time here to what I spend reading survival books or practicing knots LOL

PS Thanks for this thread OregonChick.

Will be very helpful

I think my favorite tip for staying gray is just to keep things close to the vest. Thems that dont know about your preps, dont need to know. Theres a few exceptions (family or very clse friends maybe) but only as long as they are of similar mind as you about prepping. Untill then, maybe just find subtle ways to get them there.

Recently added a sholder holster to my gear/my 1911..45 was showing when I wore a short jacket!

I got some "LOOK's"...so It is hidden now..

Im practing my draw from it and my wife is have some fun with it..

I had to purchase her a sholder bag!!!

Hide in Plan site when you can..It work's for me..

What they dont know does NOT hurt Me..

being grey is an important part of your OPSEC. LIke EX121 said hobbies can divert someones attention to your true plans. Join a target shooting club, hiking clubs, canning groups ect. if you buy a much of stuff remove it over a couple of days. It is less obvious as to the amount that you carry into the house. If you intend to CC then invest in clothes that break up the profile of you weapon. Food storage should be away from prying eyes. Basements are great.

After getting a bit educated here its made me rethink friends and how I present, what car I will be buying next and completely changed my mind about selling my house and moving back into downtown Vancouver or any downtown area or condo.

This will be to the dismay of my friends but too bad.

Just found a Canadian forum site Canadianpreppernetwork.com and Internationalpreppersnetwork.net

Wont be leaving here just expanding my contacts and knowledge.

I love you guys

O/C, good topic. OpSec is something we should all remind ourselves of often.

However, I am a little lost in the discussion. Folks are talking about ‘explaining’ why they have the stuff they have. Well, if you are explaining why you have what you have, the concept if OpSec has been violated.

Most of my prepper stuff I buy locally and I supplement those items by getting the ‘hard to find’ items on the Internet. So, when I bring stuff home, I immediately bring it into my home. No one sees it. OpSec accomplished. Some stuff comes in via the USPS or UPS. It comes in a brown box and I immediately take it inside my home. OpSec accomplished.

All my vehicle have ‘stuff’ in them… bug out bags and beyond. Some folks would be shocked to know what I have. But, if you look in my vehicles, you see backpack. Nothing special. Nothing to draw your attention. Just a backpack. OpSec accomplished.

So, from my perspective, I don’t see how one can have difficulty with local OpSec unless one is discussing their preps or if makes a mistake. A mistake… that brings me to an error in my OpSec. And what I did was so easy to do that it needs to be brought forth so you don’t make my mistakes.

The battery in my main vehicle kept dying and I could not figure things out. So I sent it to a local car repair shop a friend owns. He diagnosed the problem to be the automatic seat control center on the driver’s side. ‘Something’ broke the back of the mounting housing and the wires were touching, draining my battery. And I asked what caused the break. He told me it was that ‘little box’ under the driver’s seat. OpSec violated! And, by telling you my weakness, OpSec violated a second time! That ‘little box’ is one of the gun safes I have in my vehicles… yes, multiple safes in multiple vehicles. When I moved the seat while packing the vehicle, I let the safe smash into the mounting panel and it shorted two wires together. I never even considered that as a possibility. That was my erroe.

OpSec violations…. Always remove your hidden ‘stores’ when sending a car to be repaired. Never tell people where your safes are located in your car… take them out before sending the car to be repaired. Also, think about how the location of your stores might adversely affect the operation of your vehicle. I did not and it was an expensive lesson.

OC, calamityjanet has been through a bit, hasn't she? Interesting ideas, some of them to be implemented when I get moved.

As for staying gray, I don't discuss prepping activities much with anyone. If they see me carrying jugs of water in, it's because I can't stand this hard water. The neighbor who saw the rice I had out was told that I make rice bags for microwaving, and then I made sure to give her a couple. The only camo item I own is a backpack that my former boss (former Army) gave me. The backpack in my trunk is plain brown.

Maybe small-town Texas will be more prepper friendly than this subdivision, but I won't be in a hurry to find out.

Great topic OC, would have looked in sooner but silly me thought ya'll were ragging on those of us with a little snow on the roof. LMAO

Wanna stay gray?? Find yourself a nice little patch of acreage at the end of a dirt road that is only accessible from another dirt road. I'm just under 4 miles from the closest asphalt, and the road I live on is more like a Jeep trail than a road. Only one way in or out and unless your on foot I will hear you coming before I can see you.

Why do a own nothing but 4 wheel drives?? Look where I live.

Why do I have such a big generator?? Look where I live.

Why do I have several large fuel tanks?? Ever try to drive a track loader into town??

Why do I own a track loader with a back hoe on back of it?? For people who ask too many questions!!!

That's just what can be seen, as for what can't be seen, I won't go into much detail on that even here. But I do deal with some old junk a bit, so no one thinks a thing about me bringing in another old school bus because it has a good engine I can use in something else, and when I'm done pulling parts it gets hauled straight across the scales, right!! (maybe)

Like I said, if you really want gray, get away from prying eyes and nosy neighbors.

Good point that if you're searching for a way to explain your preps, you've already blown your cover.

One of my things is that I park my car in my garage, so what I load/unload is never seen by anyone in my neighborhood. And what you can see when my garage door opens is a few moving boxes, a freezer, and my washer and dryer - not racks of goods that would raise questions. My car is a compact SUV, but I made sure to buy a cover for the cargo area so nobody can see what's in there. It could be nothing, it could be chock-full of stuff, but all you'll see from outside the vehicle is a dark gray piece of cloth pulled taut across the entire area.

I've said it before - and others have mentioned it here - that a lot of "crazy prepping" can actually be done under the guise of being environmentally friendly. A prepper wants to go off the grid because they don't believe the grid is stable long-term, but a hippie does it because they want to have a smaller carbon footprint. Does it matter if they think you're just trying to be green if the end result is the same? If you're doing a bit of homesteading and trying to live off of the food you grow yourself, again, it could be because you're not convinced that someone else will be able to provide for you in the future... or it could be a "healthy obsession" with consuming only organic, non-GMO, preservative-free foods.

The Size of my Family helps me to stay gray every shopping trip requires a large van for just two weeks on top of that my private company allows me to make purchases for my clients and myself (Gray Man services) that are untraceable even by Uncle without an excessive amount of interrogations and man hours trying to find out who my clients are and since they won't get anything from me or my computers its double the trouble and near impossible.

Finding it impossible to practice knots or read all the survival books I bought as this forum, links and you guys are so damned interesting.

Starting tomorrow I am only allowing myself equal time here to what I spend reading survival books or practicing knots LOL

PS Thanks for this thread OregonChick.

Will be very helpful

The rabbit hops out of the hole ... Goes around the tree ... And back down the hole Tighten {were going to need a bigger boat from Jaws}

This sight has a great graphic JPG format actually draws the knot as if you were tying it yourself just click on one of the knots.

http://www.apparent-wind.com/knots/