Sign in to follow this  
jtcougars8

hunting guns

The 1895 Marlin is a fantastic rifle BUT here is a site you need to visit before you put many rounds down range

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94Fix.html

Once this is addressed you can get rid of the marlin HUMP that ugly fore end bulge take it off sand it down and use linseed to refinish.

then it will lock like a winchester profile instead of a pregnant guppy.

Only a few changes to the basic Ruger Vaquero

High polished the stainless {attempt to copy Roy rogers nickel plate} or a good hand polish with semichrome polish makes it look like a deep colt blue.

free spin pawl

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/pawl-parts/ruger-reg-sa-free-spin-pawl-trade--prod9862.aspx#.ULUUZDDIngg

colt style ejector

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/ejector-parts/ejector-rods/ruger-reg-sa-crescent-ejector-rod-button-prod9940.aspx#.ULUVZDDIngg

and improved base pin a or a Ruger Base Pin - Colt-style

http://www.powercustom.com/revolver/parts_revolver.htm

A trigger job & a wolf spring kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/160790/wolff-shooters-spring-pack-ruger-bisley-blackhawk-single-six-super-blackhawk-vaquero

Cape buffalo horn grips {or whatever makes you drool} this page is just to give you an idea.

http://www.nextag.com/grips-vaquero/stores-html

Cap and ball or flintlock? Center line or old style? I've been looking, again researching .36 caliber vs 45, 50 or 56. I'm thinking .50 but I'm just not sure yet.

I am big fan of Thompson Contender .50. Lots of barrel options to use the gun as shotgun or traditional rifle cartridge.

Reg,

Making your own percussion caps always scared me. I'm terrified of fulminate of mercury. Toxic, unstable, hard to work with, what's not to love? I have a bunch for my cap and ball revolvers but yeah, I'd like both a flintlock and a cap lock. The Flintlock just seems a better long term solution. Neither are the 'perfect' defense weapon but either are excellent survival guns for the long term.

Capt, The Nov/Dec of Backwoodsman Magazine has an article on how to make a primer ignition for rimfires. I think this could be a jim dandy way to make percussion caps also in a pinch. Just an FYI and maybe something to investigate further if interested.

rifle for long range shots..50 caliber black powder.. shotgun.. a 410 for a beginner, then move up to 12 g. good hunting..

Bob, LOVE my Shiloh Sharps 'Big 50' (.50-90); only use black powder but it is a beautiful rifle that shoots extremely well. I still love my .410s (first 'real' gun I owned was a single shot, break action .410) and I'm a decent shot with one. Unless you're doing some long (by shotgun standards) range shooting a 20 gauge is probably as good as a 12 for most hunting. I bought 12's because that is what EVERYBODY wanted but truth, a 20 is more fun to shoot and the bride likes it better.

Navy, you said

As a kid, my FAVORITE Deer hunting rifle was a 30/30. But being that its not, IMO, a popular round, it may be hard to find, sooner than later.

Not trying to argue but why do you say that? In large parts of northeast Texas the old .30-30 is ubiquitous. Sure, everybody also has a .30-06 or a 7mm or a .308 or a ..... but they still have their lever guns and those guns get USED. They are the everyday out in the tall and uncut guns. Maybe it is just a local thing but I'd be curious as to how many folks see .30-30's routinely. I may start a survey.

Snake and Reg,

I have a Vaquero and a clone (EMF) of the Winchester in .45 Colt. I also have a Blackhawk that shoots .45 Colt and .45ACP (cylinder change). I do really like that combination. I guess the western folks knew what they were doing when they went .44 WCF (.44-40) for both their six guns and lever guns. That is an absolutely marvelous setup. Not one I take to deliberately hunt large game/predators, for that I'd want that .45-70 Marlin, but I wouldn't feel under armed even faced with a larger bear. Besides, they are just plain FUN to shoot.

One thing to consider is that lever guns are among the most comfortable to carry of any guns. The thin reciever and balance point make them convenient to carry in the hand, the smooth lines make them easy to carry in and draw from a scabbard. The less inconvenient a weapon is to pack the more likely it is to be with you when you need it.

An issue for a survival gun is the ability to reload. I like straight sided rounds (45-70, 50-90, .45 Colt, etc.) for ease of reload. I also like lever guns and love my Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. The question was hunting gun and for larger animals I don't like anything smaller than a .270/7mm. That is my bias, I understand the 6.8 mm is a good round but it is unusual in my neck of the woods and I've never dealt with that caliber.

The straight sided rounds were great with a paper patched slug. Especially good with some of the old guns with shallow lands and grooves. Also good with black powder cased rounds. Sometimes you could get better accuracy by paper patching your bullets, I am sure that Capt.Bart must have fired some of these.

Vis,

paper patched is always cool stuff in the big bores. My ONLY concern about a paper patched bullet is moisture. The patched bullets are not crimped like the lubed bullets (yes, paper patch has lube also, just not as much). I have NO data to base this on, it is just a gut reflex but I suspect that the paper patched stuff will not store as long and require more care around moisture. Anyone know for sure?

boy Capt Bart that is a hard question all the paper patched stuff of old used a animal based grease I think it was tallow

compared to today's offerings I would wonder about acidic content may break down the paper I have used rice cigaret rolling

paper with lead bullets but with no lube for older revolvers with large bore diameters but never thought at that time to store them.

then a lot of paper is acid treated / bleached and would break down but I think that would still take years.

maybe someone who has reinactor experience could jump in on this question.

I have a lot of faith in the new LEE tumble lube with rice paper ought to work well as heat and cold not to mention it does not

effect powder burn rate.

Also to be considered how much difference from bore diameter to figure paper thickness I have also used newspaper

and some heavy paper to push sub caliber jacketed projectiles but due to the slick jacket a file pushed / rolled over them

to get them to spin in the bore or else they will slip and not rotate properly having unstable results of course the bullet weight

and length needs to be within the margin of the bore or it may not shoot well.

just some random thoughts strung together.

I love my Winchester 357 mag trapper. We don't have bear here so it will do in anything that I might want to shoot. With 38 rounds loaded down it is also a good rabbit killer. I load them down to about say 600 to 700 fps and they are pretty easy on the meat. I also have a 30-30 and a 300savage in an old 99F as well as a Henry and a couple others in 22lr. I've considered another 44mag for hogs but jaysus man those things kick like a mule!!! To me a 44 mag out of a short barreled winchester or Marlin kicks harder than a 7mm mag out of a Rem. 700 or old Win. Mod 70. I think it is because it has a short stock and that pulls my pec up into things. All I know is that is about the only gun that I ever sold because of the recoil.

If I was only going to have one gun though it would be my Mossberg with the adjustable choke and a slug barrel with open sights. I've never had any trouble out to a hundred yards with open sights really. I just HATE that they sell most rifles these days without sights. If your scope takes a hit you are just out of luck!

Danm,

I agree, sir. I hate the 'no sight' thing as well. Scopes break, especially on heavy recoil weapons. Without an iron sight, you are SOL. Did you try shooting .44 Specials in your .44 Mag rifle? I would think that might help the recoil a lot and you could still shoot the Mag's if you needed them for larger game. I've been thinking about a .44 lever.

My bride loves the lever guns, especially the carbines. She is petite and doesn't like a lot of recoil but she does like the Marlin Guide Gun with a lightly loaded 45-70 (basically a 45-70 govt. round is OK and loading to about 45-60 is great for her). I've almost lost it as "mine" several times.

I may have to look at the Mag Trapper. That sounds like a really nice setup.

The 44 specials would have made it a lot better. I was young dumb and silly then though and didn't go there. That was also before I got serious about reloading. Nonetheless I think that the problem was just that the gun didn't fit me right. It was a marlin with the squared off lever and a short barrel and stock type carbine and I would have probably like it a lot better in a rifle length. I am not very recoil shy and will shoot a 3" 12ga magnum out of a sawed off single shot with little to no problem. THAT specific gun would actually bruise me.

I LOVE my Winchester Trapper in 357 it is short light and easy to carry. I have literally thousands and thousands of rounds that I can shoot in it and plan on loading some with 170 gr bullets for deer hunting. The recoil is almost unnoticeable and with the 38 loads it is like shooting a 22 out of my little Henry.

I may actually go to the Guide model and just skip over the 44. I really used to love shooting a 45-70. I had an old break action shotgun that I sawed the barrel off of so it was only about 3" long. I threaded it to accept a 45-70 barrel with old Lyman flip up peep sights and had a ball with it for a long time until someone wanted it more than I did and bought it off me. The 45-70 is a REAL stopper and that Guide gun looks awful nice to me.

For Deer out to 300yards the Savage is great. Because of the rotary magazine it is able to shoot pointed bullets and the 300 Savage round is basically a 308 with a slightly sharper shoulder. To me it is one of the loveliest guns ever made with the sleek lines of a bolt action and the curves and general carryability of a lever action.

if it were not for brass availability 300 savage would be my choice also it is a fine cartridge

there are so many cartridges that will probably go the way of the DODO bird due to the recent

problems like I say I have literally fired thousands of rounds of most every caliber and only a few

do I consider useless in rifle only the hard to find or antiquated and no longer in production or too expensive

turn me off after all a firearm is for shooting hunting and protection {in the woods or at home}

for me I have come to a point that I wanted to consolidate my calibers not so much oddities and

always searching for components not to mention try to keep in nato and other parameters like

efficient use of powder lead and size a 1894 will hold 9 magnums you gain about 20% power

and not a lot of weight in the 357 using 124 to 168 grain cast your not under gunned just need to be

more accurate man has hunted deer with a 36 caliber BP rifle and did well I cannot see where a newer

more accurate with a lever gun.

308 was just a side step from 30-06 back when you could find cheap ammo by the ton it will probably not

go back to that but 30 cal is here to stay for a while so I just go with the most prevalent caliber of our time

in this hemisphere and that is 7.62 X 51 or 308 if you live anywhere else then 7.62X39

you cannot really cast for less than the 6MM bore to where it works well 30 cal and lynotype are made for each other

as is any caliber larger and a Lyman loading manual has cast loadings for close enough to jacketed velocities

some of the new jacketed velocities and jackets work against you in a hunting situation that is why there are

controlled expansion bullets and they are almost too fast for standard jacketed bullets as the don't expand

at the right time or without striking bone. a slower lead bullet seems to do it better than a ultra fast jacketed

that has to use an engineered bullet to make up for it's hyper velocity.

bigger is not bad but faster can be, blood shot meat is less than palatable many a hunter has shot a deer with a

magnum and watched it run off and older less touted calibers have dropped them in their tracks like 243 25 cals like 257 rbts

and 6.5 X 55 7 & 8 Mauser 30-30 and 300 savage 30-40 krag 30-06 springfield perfection is it does not need to be re-validated

the biggest problem back in the day was people were using military rounds to hunt with and many a urban legend of how

poorly a military caliber performed on game as bullet tech got better so did animals taken but the damage was done.

and in came a host of new or IMPROVED calibers that if used with FMJ bullets would have been no more successful

like fishing lures they are made to catch fishermen not fish take it from me if you put a 38 special in a deers ear

he is not going to run away nor with a 22 LR or mag but that is not legal rim fire and medium to large game are

in most all states verboten but I have heard they work just fine too but only in a TEOTWAWKI OR life and death event.

I may actually go to the Guide model and just skip over the 44. I really used to love shooting a 45-70. I had an old break action shotgun that I sawed the barrel off of so it was only about 3" long. I threaded it to accept a 45-70 barrel with old Lyman flip up peep sights and had a ball with it for a long time until someone wanted it more than I did and bought it off me. The 45-70 is a REAL stopper and that Guide gun looks awful nice to me.

For Deer out to 300yards the Savage is great. Because of the rotary magazine it is able to shoot pointed bullets and the 300 Savage round is basically a 308 with a slightly sharper shoulder. To me it is one of the loveliest guns ever made with the sleek lines of a bolt action and the curves and general carryability of a lever action.

Yep, that pointed bullet in a tube magazine thing is always a bit of a concern, especially for heavy recoil weapons. That is the reason I really, really like Hornady's LeveRevolution ammo. It is a pointed round with a soft tip that allows them to be safe in tubes. Does wonders in my 30-30, .45 Colt and .45-70 Marlin. I truly groove on the Marlin and it shoots both .45-70 govt and Marlin. I have a break action .45-70 Govt and have to be EXTREMELY careful to not put .45-70 Marlin the that gun. There is a bunch of difference in the pressures and ballistics of the two rounds.

The new Guide gun makes me want to get get it and use my current gun as a backup. There are some real improvements in the new one, most notably a longer mag tube, hence more rounds. I recommend it for any big/dangerous game. Easy to reload the rounds and a solid stopping round.

Just my not so humble opinion.

.........Believe it or not a 1 inch group is mediocre to poor at 100 yards a person must shoot better than that to compete at a state match much less a national.

but for hunting, dead is dead.

New hunters would be well served with a Thompson Pro Hunter. It comes with a .50 cal muzzle loader but you can buy a barrel for anything from .223 to .300 mag.

Use this gun as an all purpose and to get several barrels and find you caliber. Then go spend some change on a bolt action.

BamaMan

works for a friend of mine I like the 308 Winchester but most any 30 cal will do for me 30-06 is not much more than 308 and it will take

moose and brass is around.

and if a person has some background he can take most any 308 cal and pull it down and use the components to make

their caliber