Sign in to follow this  
oregonchick

Lovely homesteading blog with how-to articles

Since I love to share the resources I find online, I thought I'd pass this one along. It's called Homestead Revival, and is written by a young woman who hopes to encourage others to find ways to live sustainably, in harmony with the earth and with their faith.

This blog is really pleasant and appealing in general, but it also covers such diverse topics as:

• Preparedness
  • Finances/budgeting/frugality
  • Beekeeping
  • Goats
  • Chickens
  • Gardening
  • Preserving food
  • Recipes
  • Reading list

Here's the link:

http://homesteadrevival.blogspot.com/

(Caveat: I don't necessarily agree with all of the aims of this blog, it has a socially conservative viewpoint that doesn't quite match mine. That said, lots of good information, a tremendous amount of good intent, and a focus on family and community shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.)

(Caveat: I don't necessarily agree with all of the aims of this blog, it has a socially conservative viewpoint that doesn't quite match mine. That said, lots of good information, a tremendous amount of good intent, and a focus on family and community shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.)

See OC, even some of us conservatives are tree huggers.....lol. We figure if some liberals are going to join us in firearms ownership and prepping, we are going to return the favor with hugging some trees (without the aid of a tree stand).

Seriously tho, thanks for the link now that I found the thread.

See OC, even some of us conservatives are tree huggers.....lol...

Seriously tho, thanks for the link now that I found the thread.

I can think of few things that would be more conservative than reverting to a more agrarian, family-based lifestyle, so I'm not too shocked to find this is a popular idea "on the right." And it's a beautifully reactionary and counterculture movement, too, which then appeals to the "let's go protest something" impulse that lives in many liberals' hearts.

Happy to share the link. I felt like my blood pressure went down just looking around the blog. Everything was nice, tidy, well managed, and sort of... gentle. It's like a vacation!

Speaking of links, I have noticed a TON of people posting prepping related things on Pinterest. Most of the "pins" are just links to other blogs, but some of them have really interesting how-to videos and free downloads of things like "Animal Husbandry 101" and "A diagram for properly stacking stored firewood to encourage airflow and discourage rot" and "10 mistakes new chicken owners make." I wonder if it would be useful to add the links here, or maybe start an "As seen on Pinterest" thread for the people here who aren't comfortable signing up for a social media website and identifying as a prepper? (FWIW, I keep my own "Prepping for TEOTWAWKI" pin board private on Pinterest, so nobody else knows that I'm apparently obsessed with small, cheap buildings, self-defense, and beekeeping.)

Do you think there would be much interest in a thread that's mostly links to other sites?

Reg...I always hug tree's!! I can get an Idea of how many board foot is in it before I cut it down...

I've literally hugged a tree on a couple of occasions. It didn't accomplish much. My impression was, "Hmm. Sort of scratchy." But maybe I'll have a different experience of it in the future. ;)

OC, I second what von said about being IDed. As for a thread with links, isn't that what we have several of in the farming forum and multimedia forum? The conversation of members adds to the mix, but any links that can be used to better a person's preps and learn from someone else's trials are GREAT.

It's part of the reason for these forums and why we keep journals, so the ones after us or prepping at the same time learn as we do without everyone wasting the same money and time (gov't is a prime example of that NOT working with any success). Maybe I'm just biased since I post alot of links myself...lol.

I say start your thread and if another member doesn't want to learn from it, they can make the decision to ignore it. I for one will probably explore the links and see what I can incorporate in my plans to make them better. JMO

And it's a beautifully reactionary and counterculture movement, too, which then appeals to the "let's go protest something" impulse that lives in many liberals' hearts.

I like to protest... haha. In all seriousness, thanks for the link OC! Looks awesome.

If your on this board then your already ID as a prepper. :D

Oh, I'm well aware of that. There's no real anonymity online, and anyone who thinks they can be online and still be hidden is probably fooling themselves.

That said, Pinterest is a different animal than a forum, because they are constantly trying to make connections between members. "If you like this pin, you should check out what else oregonchick has pinned" is kind of the theme there, and you can only keep a couple of pinboards "hidden" - everything else could be browsed by any other member. So it's not just Big Brother who can know about you, but pretty much anyone, anywhere who is also on Pinterest.