Sign in to follow this  
jerry

Finished testing my solar powered oven all week!

One constant in survival is the need to eat and drink. Now with that said, what if there is no gas, propane, wood, charcoal etc etc? My experiences in living off grid on a sailboat led me to discover another way to prepare. I found the sun oven. I had previous prototypes and home made ones but this thing is awsome. My wife can't believe it and now all of her girlfriends (who are prepping) just had to come over and see it. Leading me to this: I cannot speak higher of any product that cooks with no source of fuels except sun than this one. Now what if it is cloudy? Well then I have my other things to use, wood burners, charcoal propane and my all important rocket stove. I finished a pot of chicken and all the fixins and it was so moist and tasty and all, that no one believes it was done by solar until they saw the oven. Or I should say ovens... I now have two. I cooked for one solid week every meal in it. EASY to learn to use. YES it even did cake and biscuits! They have a website www.sunoven.com. BTW: it even hard boiled my eggs without water.! Now I am working on my recycled satellite dish with solar coating to really cook fast. Parabolic and my sun oven and my rocket stove... one more cheep coking device i like is the webber kettle grill and a smokenator inside it to turn it into a low wood/charcoal using oven as well. BTW... I do learn alot from you tube videos and some sourcing is there in videos for supplies that I dont see anywhere else. You just have to weed through some really different stuff to learn. Well got to go.. tomorrow is trash day and the area here throws out alot of reusable/repurposable stuff. Last month we found a VIKING outdoor gas grill stainless steel with drawers and side shelves and 5 burners that didnt work. So we got this 6ft long beautiful stainless steel gas grill with lid and all for free. All that was wrong with it is that the gas burners were bad and all of the lines into the grill were rusted out. So we took it home to my shop, cut out everything and made a stainless drop in box for wood or charcoal and now it sits outside looking beautiful and looks like a gas grill, but it burns charcoal or wood. AAHHHH all repurposed and free for the taking from the trash pile.

I actually made a parabolic sunoven/stove back in the summer just to see if I could do it. Put a can of chili in a black pot. Spit hung it and made a reflector from

an old small sattelite dish, directed the sun on it as said. Amazing what you can do with some double stick tape and mylar. That sonofagun got hot in 45mins.

Burnt the piss outa my fingers when got hold of the pot to remove the lid. Didn't think it'd do that, but it works and works good! Use leather gloves! LOL at self.

http://solarcooking.org/unattendedparabolic.htm

Edited by desert rat

awsome stuff isnt it? AND it doesnt burn up our individual resources that might really be needed later. I used no gas, electric, fuel, propane, wood, charcoal etc etc for over a week now. AND it provided me with time to do other things instead of spending time replenishing my resources.

finished adapting and converting the roadside oven from a home someone threw away into a sun oven. IT IS UGLY BUT WORKS! total investment is 20 bucks and 11 man hours. Now, based on just minimum wage that means 88 bucks and 20 bucks and two saw blades. hhhmmmm, brand new one only cost what??? LOL but neighbors grandkids can use it for a science project also since they helped. OH shoot.. maybe government is gonna get me for child labor laws now...lol

we actually have a great homemade solar food dehydrator. And the solar oven can do it as well. Albeit more slowly and smaller portions. I am always wondering about refrigerators being use for various thing. My biggest concern is are the refrigerators safe tou use for alot of things people are using them for. Smoking meats, dehydrating etc etc. There is so much plastic and polymers etc etc that is used in the manufaturing, that I am concerned. So, maybe others can enlighten me on that issue.

All good questions, for which I have literally no good answers!

I also saw an example of someone taking a non-working chest freezer and burying it in the ground near the house to make a mini-root cellar. I thought that was fairly smart; the insulation would just add to the insulating aspect of the ground it was in, and if the seals were still intact, it would keep out water and pests and would likely be lockable. On the negative side, chest freezer lids aren't exactly visually pleasing as far as lawn decor goes, and it might be annoying to have to get on your hands and knees to place/retrieve items, especially in bad weather.

our water table prevents us from going deep enough to do a root cellar. Our summer temps and winter temps require us to have a cellar deep. I do know a few folks around Mtn Home Arkansas that have the freezers buried as root cellars, and they work wonderfully. They even have some cellars made from earthen dams and trees like the original days of farming. The freezers that stay at a constant temp work wonderfully.

we built our large dehydrator off of plans from the mother earth news magazine. AND, a video on you tube. OUrs looks like an outhouse..LOL and it works really well. Our solar oven is awsome and for small batches of food at a time we can use that. In fact today is 40 degrees and sunny and we are baking bread and doing a large venison stew in our two ovens. WE bought a second one so we now have two commercially bought soalr ovens, one homemade solar oven, two homemade parabolic cookers made form discarded satellite dishes. Our parabolics are modeled after the ones on www.greenpowerscience.com ..