How Does This BOB Stack Up?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How Does This BOB Stack Up?

• Quality of images
    • Explanation of contents and use
    • Organization and weight
    • Practicality of overall Bag contents
    • Creativity
    • This is the best BOB entry of the group!

OK I hate my entry so I'm re-doing it. Here's my revised and expanded get-home/general emergency/hiking bag. The competition here is way stiff, I'm not going to beat anyone, but I was inspired to take mine to the next level. Thanks to all who entered and for having this contest in the first place!

It got me to really work on my bag with urgency and now it's in at least some kind of state of readiness.

I started out buying this as a discreet pistol holster. I'm too slow to retrieve a gun from a backpack as fast as I'd possibly need it. I also figured I'd be more likely to grab the fake-maxpedition bag by UTG and have it with me when I need it. I like that all the things I'm likely to need are at hand, rather than having to remove a backpack to reach them. (FYI I twisted off the zipper pulls as they're noisy and put paracord on instead)(the Maxpedition bag lacks mollie straps on the bottom or the drawstring closure like sack for the main compartment. That exposes the contents to rain and dirt and I can really stuff the bag full without worrying about losing stuff. The Max is definitely made better, but this fit the bill for me)

I add paracord and gaffers tape to nearly everything. The tape helps silence metal on metal and prevent things from unscrewing. The paracord helps me so I can hang something from a nail or a carabiner, hang the cord outside a pocket to quick grab an important item like compass or knife, and maybe most importantly it's easier for me to find something I set down! heh

Main Compartment Contents:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]266[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]267[/ATTACH]

2x 20 pk of wet ones aka buttwipe, am/fm radio, kaito compact antenna(looks like a hockey puck-attaches to any metal telscoping antenna), kaito wrx911 (SW/AM/FM) w/headphones(also fit cell phone) and power adaptor,

space blanket. One ziplock bag I keep ibuprofen, pepto pills, cough drops, 8xwetwipes, and prescription pills in their original bottles to be certain I'm not breaking any laws.

Next ziplock bag-gold bond powder, hand sanitizer, nyquil night time liquid caps, speed stick, 7 x wet wipes, roll of gauze tape, 2 x mini toothpastes, mini toothbrush, hand sanitizer, SPF 30 sunblock, coughdrops, razor.

Seperately I have shaving cream and vaseline, poncho, 4xhand/foot warmers, a dry pack to absorb moisture. Also a few extra ziplocks just in case.

I also made smaller rolls of tape from my large rolls and put them on paracord and carabined(is that a word?) them. I have gaffers tape(my love!), duct tape, double sided tape, two kinds of electrical tape, and some kind of miracle tape that shrinks after you apply it. A huckster at a car show sold it to me. Good stuff.

Obviously I have a bottle of water in a pocket, and another carabinered'. The pack I Molle'd to the bottom has 2 more small bottles of water and 7 bars in it. I figure it just takes a minute to undo the snaps and leave it in the trunk if I don't want to take it with me some place.

I also have the rest of a case of small water bottles in my trunk so I can grab some roadies or fill up the aluminum bottle.

In case I need to use questionable water, I bought a small bottle of 'potable aqua' tablets, and some kool-aid to add to cover the taste(oh yeah!) :-)

Front Pocket

[ATTACH=CONFIG]268[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]269[/ATTACH]

7 LED head lamp, emergency first aid booklet from the red cross, latex gloves, allergy pills, 20 bandages from very small to large butterfly style, antiseptic towletts and wet ones, generic neosporin, camp soap(I think it does everything but I haven't tried it out. At this point though I'm figuring I'll use it for shampoo in a pinch! :confused:), ear plugs, dr. scholls padded moleskin, 2xbic lighters, small bottle of water purtabs, a GI can opener, shooting glasses(good if I have to shoot, or go through branches or something, who knows?), wax for my braces :o (very important if you have them!) 4 x kool aids to add to water if I have to use the purifying tablets, chapsticks, a Spyderco Endura no rust folder(love it!!!), and a map of L.A.

post-1371-13851497735073_thumb.jpg

post-1371-1385149773549_thumb.jpg

post-1371-13851497735878_thumb.jpg

post-1371-13851497736262_thumb.jpg

OK I hate my entry so I'm re-doing it. Here's my revised and expanded get-home/general emergency/hiking bag. The competition here is way stiff, I'm not going to beat anyone, but I was inspired to take mine to the next level. Thanks to all who entered and for having this contest in the first place!

It got me to really work on my bag with urgency and now it's in at least some kind of state of readiness.

I started out buying this as a discreet pistol holster. I'm too slow to retrieve a gun from a backpack as fast as I'd possibly need it. I also figured I'd be more likely to grab the fake-maxpedition bag by UTG and have it with me when I need it. I like that all the things I'm likely to need are at hand, rather than having to remove a backpack to reach them. (FYI I twisted off the zipper pulls as they're noisy and put paracord on instead)(the Maxpedition bag lacks mollie straps on the bottom or the drawstring closure like sack for the main compartment. That exposes the contents to rain and dirt and I can really stuff the bag full without worrying about losing stuff. The Max is definitely made better, but this fit the bill for me)

I add paracord and gaffers tape to nearly everything. The tape helps silence metal on metal and prevent things from unscrewing. The paracord helps me so I can hang something from a nail or a carabiner, hang the cord outside a pocket to quick grab an important item like compass or knife, and maybe most importantly it's easier for me to find something I set down! heh

Main Compartment Contents:

post-1371-13851497687701_thumb.jpg

2x 20 pk of wet ones aka buttwipe, am/fm radio, kaito compact antenna(looks like a hockey puck-attaches to any metal telscoping antenna), kaito wrx911 (SW/AM/FM) w/headphones(also fit cell phone) and power adaptor,

space blanket. One ziplock bag I keep ibuprofen, pepto pills, cough drops, 8xwetwipes, and prescription pills in their original bottles to be certain I'm not breaking any laws.

Next ziplock bag-gold bond powder, hand sanitizer, nyquil night time liquid caps, speed stick, 7 x wet wipes, roll of gauze tape, 2 x mini toothpastes, mini toothbrush, hand sanitizer, SPF 30 sunblock, coughdrops, razor.

Seperately I have shaving cream and vaseline, poncho, 4xhand/foot warmers, a dry pack to absorb moisture. Also a few extra ziplocks just in case.

I also made smaller rolls of tape from my large rolls and put them on paracord and carabined(is that a word?) them. I have gaffers tape(my love!), duct tape, double sided tape, two kinds of electrical tape, and some kind of miracle tape that shrinks after you apply it. A huckster at a car show sold it to me. Good stuff.

Obviously I have a bottle of water in a pocket, and another carabinered'. The pack I Molle'd to the bottom has 2 more small bottles of water and 7 bars in it. I figure it just takes a minute to undo the snaps and leave it in the trunk if I don't want to take it with me some place.

I also have the rest of a case of small water bottles in my trunk so I can grab some roadies or fill up the aluminum bottle.

In case I need to use questionable water, I bought a small bottle of 'potable aqua' tablets, and some kool-aid to add to cover the taste(oh yeah!) :-)

Front Pocket

post-1371-13851497688531_thumb.jpg

7 LED head lamp, emergency first aid booklet from the red cross, latex gloves, allergy pills, 20 bandages from very small to large butterfly style, antiseptic towletts and wet ones, generic neosporin, camp soap(I think it does everything but I haven't tried it out. At this point though I'm figuring I'll use it for shampoo in a pinch! :confused:), ear plugs, dr. scholls padded moleskin, 2xbic lighters, small bottle of water purtabs, a GI can opener, shooting glasses(good if I have to shoot, or go through branches or something, who knows?), wax for my braces :o (very important if you have them!) 4 x kool aids to add to water if I have to use the purifying tablets, chapsticks, a Spyderco Endura no rust folder(love it!!!), and a map of L.A.

post-1371-1385149768726_thumb.jpg

post-1371-1385149768812_thumb.jpg

@ tinderwolf. Hey, I'm just happy to see other persons' bag setups and offer up mine. If it helps somebody tweak their bag, I'm happy. I glad to be able to tweak mine as well from the bags here. It was a great idea for a contest. :)

Edited by Canteen81

[ATTACH=CONFIG]271[/ATTACH]

Top Flap Pocket

locking needle nose pliers, adjustable wrench, 2 x types of paracord, 2 sharpies, 2 pens, a pocket knife, a lighter, fingernail clippers. Everything is taped to death to keep it from rattling or a pen cap from coming off.

If I need to make fire, I can use the vaseline and the cottonballs I've jammed in the pill bottles, or put the purex on the cotton balls.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]272[/ATTACH]

Bottom Flap Pocket

Constitution, more tape, money, coins for a payphone? taped together to kill rattles in the travel wallet's coin area(you can hang the wallet from your neck). I copied my passport and driver's license, passport emergency numbers, and made a printout of numbers of people I may need to contact(I'm laminating a copy of these documents tonight) and stuffed them in a ziplock. Oh, and a AAA card B)! I'm going to order a duplicate credit card I never use and stick it in there too, just in case.

I also scanned my birth certificate(s), all gun paperwork, car titles and registration, insurance, passport and license, basically any important paperwork and printed 2 copies. One for a binder in my auto, and one for a binder in my Molle pack BOB. The originals stay in a binder in my safe, to be grabbed in case of emergency.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]275[/ATTACH]

Side Pocket

2 x packages of chemical footwarmers(they work great!), some tissues, a lighter, a dozen AA batteries and 6 AAA hidden in a pocket, 2 x flash drives with copies of my paperwork on them(one to fail and one to work!) :P and the thing under my thumb is .22 ammunition I wrapped in gaffers tape. I made little packs of 6 or 12 and sealed it up good and put them in the ziplock. It makes them quiet, and adds some weather/contamination protection. I have another 50 or so rounds in there. Oh! Last but not least, my flashlight is stuffed in a molle pouch(barely) until I get something better. I put the paracord outside the snap to keep it in a little better.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]274[/ATTACH]

Holster

I couldn't resist, I had to show a gun too, because who doesn't like to see guns?!? ;) It's my Phoenix Arms HP22 with 20 extra rounds of ammo(taped for silence, natch), a loaded 10 rd magazine, 2 power bars, and 50 rounds of 9mm wrapped in rifle cleaning swatches for silence.

I keep the .22 in there for a few reasons. If I have to toss it in a river someday I won't be out much money ;) Also the usual .22 plus's, I can carry lots of ammo easily, it's cheap(more practice time), and not very loud. Anybody can shoot .22, so if I hand it to someone to use odds are they'll be OK with it. I can shoot it easily and accurately with my left hand, it's small and concealable(I have a waistband holster in there too), and I'm a pretty good shot with it.

The 9mm ammo is in there just in case I can grab my Ruger SR9C. I also have a few of those tiny NAA .22 revolvers that could find their way in there. Couldn't hurt?

I got a Molle2 Assault pack I'm going to add MRE's, water, clothes, etc to expand to a 3 day pack. For now, this will work. I just wish I could crap in everything I want!

Oh, and it weighs 22 pounds with the extra pouch molle'd on the bottom. I expect it'd get used up fast enough in an emergency, plus I could drop my 9mm rounds or anything else if I needed to move lighter. I wouldn't add any more weight than it has, but it's fine and I think if I use the velcro loop on the back to attach it to my belt it'll be even better.

post-1371-13851497736626_thumb.jpg

post-1371-13851497736971_thumb.jpg

post-1371-13851497737423_thumb.jpg

post-1371-13851497737812_thumb.jpg

post-1371-1385149768892_thumb.jpg

Top Flap Pocket

locking needle nose pliers, adjustable wrench, 2 x types of paracord, 2 sharpies, 2 pens, a pocket knife, a lighter, fingernail clippers. Everything is taped to death to keep it from rattling or a pen cap from coming off.

If I need to make fire, I can use the vaseline and the cottonballs I've jammed in the pill bottles, or put the purex on the cotton balls.

post-1371-13851497689303_thumb.jpg

Bottom Flap Pocket

Constitution, more tape, money, coins for a payphone? taped together to kill rattles in the travel wallet's coin area(you can hang the wallet from your neck). I copied my passport and driver's license, passport emergency numbers, and made a printout of numbers of people I may need to contact(I'm laminating a copy of these documents tonight) and stuffed them in a ziplock. Oh, and a AAA card B)! I'm going to order a duplicate credit card I never use and stick it in there too, just in case.

I also scanned my birth certificate(s), all gun paperwork, car titles and registration, insurance, passport and license, basically any important paperwork and printed 2 copies. One for a binder in my auto, and one for a binder in my Molle pack BOB. The originals stay in a binder in my safe, to be grabbed in case of emergency.

post-1371-13851497690233_thumb.jpg

Side Pocket

2 x packages of chemical footwarmers(they work great!), some tissues, a lighter, a dozen AA batteries and 6 AAA hidden in a pocket, 2 x flash drives with copies of my paperwork on them(one to fail and one to work!) :P and the thing under my thumb is .22 ammunition I wrapped in gaffers tape. I made little packs of 6 or 12 and sealed it up good and put them in the ziplock. It makes them quiet, and adds some weather/contamination protection. I have another 50 or so rounds in there. Oh! Last but not least, my flashlight is stuffed in a molle pouch(barely) until I get something better. I put the paracord outside the snap to keep it in a little better.

post-1371-13851497689796_thumb.jpg

Holster

I couldn't resist, I had to show a gun too, because who doesn't like to see guns?!? ;) It's my Phoenix Arms HP22 with 20 extra rounds of ammo(taped for silence, natch), a loaded 10 rd magazine, 2 power bars, and 50 rounds of 9mm wrapped in rifle cleaning swatches for silence.

I keep the .22 in there for a few reasons. If I have to toss it in a river someday I won't be out much money ;) Also the usual .22 plus's, I can carry lots of ammo easily, it's cheap(more practice time), and not very loud. Anybody can shoot .22, so if I hand it to someone to use odds are they'll be OK with it. I can shoot it easily and accurately with my left hand, it's small and concealable(I have a waistband holster in there too), and I'm a pretty good shot with it.

The 9mm ammo is in there just in case I can grab my Ruger SR9C. I also have a few of those tiny NAA .22 revolvers that could find their way in there. Couldn't hurt?

I got a Molle2 Assault pack I'm going to add MRE's, water, clothes, etc to expand to a 3 day pack. For now, this will work. I just wish I could crap in everything I want!

Oh, and it weighs 22 pounds with the extra pouch molle'd on the bottom. I expect it'd get used up fast enough in an emergency, plus I could drop my 9mm rounds or anything else if I needed to move lighter. I wouldn't add any more weight than it has, but it's fine and I think if I use the velcro loop on the back to attach it to my belt it'll be even better.

the maxpedition DOES have the draw string bag inside, and i do believe some have the molle as well.

not the comparable one to mine I don't think

jumbo edc versipack

I'm not trying to do a review of my pack vs maxpedition, I just threw a few infos in there. Take it for what its worth. There are comparisons on youtube that are good.

Edited by socalocalypse

I would like to see the weight of everyone's bag. The easiest way so you don't have to get a fancy scale is weight your self and then weigh yourself with the bag on and with rifle in hand and everything else your lugging along. Honor system to accurately report.

Here are the weights of Devildog's bags: Primary Bags are 23-24 pounds. Support bags are 21-22 pounds. A little room to grow, so to speak.

I figured I'd go ahead and upload the pic of my EDC bag and it's contents:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]119[/ATTACH]

HAM Radio, Hand Sanitizer, Shemagh, Surefire Defender LED flashlight, spare 9 volt LED light, ZT Folder, pocket lock pick set, 550 survival bracelet with shackle.

Thanks,

G

My BoB is 27 lbs

Ok, the timeline to get initial entries in has officially ended. Any posts beyond this point will not be counted for this contest however everyone will still be able to post. If there are any edits to previous entries from this point forward, they will be disqualified from this particular competition as well. All of the entries have been given their own thread so you can vote on them individually and then we'll look at the results at the end to break out the top 3.

Re-editing posts at this point is not allowed but for everyone who got their entry in on time and have a dedicated thread with a poll are allowed to answer questions and explain, clarify any questions or comments.

Voting will close in 10 days.

Thanks for all the great entries!

The Survival Cache Team

Edited by SurvivalCache

Ok, the timeline to get initial entries in has officially ended. Any posts beyond this point will not be counted for this contest however everyone will still be able to post. If there are any edits to previous entries from this point forward, they will be disqualified from this particular competition as well. All of the entries have been given their own thread so you can vote on them individually and then we'll look at the results at the end to break out the top 3.

Re-editing posts at this point is not allowed but for everyone who got their entry in on time and have a dedicated thread with a poll are allowed to answer questions and explain, clarify any questions or comments.

Voting will close in 10 days.

Thanks for all the great entries!

The Survival Cache Team

Edited by SurvivalCache

Even if we could vote for ourselve( and I really want that first prize) I honestly probably wouldn't just because there are some great entries in here that I believe to be better than mine. (the little devil on my shoulder is tapping me very hard....)

You can vote on each entry once. It's up to you how you choose to vote but everyone get's one vote per entry thread.

We have taken each individual entry out of this thread and put them in their own thread with a poll at the top so you can vote for that thread/entry then go on to the next one etc.

Or you can just go to your favorite and vote there.

If there's any questions, please ask.

Thanks,

The Survival Cache Team

Edited by SurvivalCache
Clarification

You can vote on each entry once. It's up to you how you choose to vote but everyone get's one vote per entry thread.

We have taken each individual entry out of this thread and put them in their own thread with a poll at the top so you can vote for that thread/entry then go on to the next one etc.

Or you can just go to your favorite and vote there.

If there's any questions, please ask.

Thanks,

The Survival Cache Team

of course you can. I can't walk to the gun range. im not a lawyer, check your laws, but ive read a book and calguns and a pistol unloaded in a locked container(not center console or glove ox)going from residence to legal destination or between legal locations is a-ok. A trunk is a legal locked container but if seats fold or you have a ski passthrough then some have argued it isn't. I keep mine in a lockedhardcase for that reason as well as legal transport from my residence to the car and from car to gunshop or range or wherever. soft case can be problematic legally so I use a hardcase.

pistols dont have to be in the trunk if theyre in that locked hardcase but i do.

also you cant go/park on government property aka post office with guns in the trunk, no airports, and gun free school zones are additional complications like no open carry etc.

I rigorously follow the laws. Softcases can be argued the gun could be manipulated through the case, the zippers need to be locked through the eyelets and then locked to a ring on the case so they dont move, and who knows what else. Thats's why I don't use them, it's just safer to use the locked hardcase.

great question, I need to sew a metal D ring into my bag to lock it if I wanted to transport my weapon in it off my property.

Two comments. Did not see any dust masks. A down town building collapse, they would be need, to walk out. Second, taping bullets is probably not a good idea. they are not water proof and the gum form the tape may stick the action of your weapon.

Good bag, a little heavy form me, but try carrying it for and hour see what you think.

Very inclusive for the amount of weight. It's a little light on food and water. You mentioned the water bottle was aluminum. It would be good to know it the bottle is fire safe as several of the metal water bottles out there have a synthetic lining that would melt it used to boil water.

No socks? I guess you are wearing a pair but if getting home takes 4 days instead of a day and a half a clean change of sock will help keeps your feet in working order.

I'm not sure if I could run with a shoulder strap bag like this but I see enough people suggesting them that they cant be that bad.

And last you mentioned your in so cal so I guess it's a little warmer for you then it is up north of you but you mention your bag lives in your car. A complementing cheapo backpack with a few warm durable layers and some boots could make long distance foot travel and sleeping out side more comfortable. And it's a cheapo bag so no big loss if you leaving it where ever you get the time to change. You mentioned your working on getting a Mollie II assault pack so I guess your all ready thinking sort of in that direction.

No dedicated way to carry water is the biggest weakness in your bag. The four ration bars is a good supply of food for 6 days or 3 between you and your wife or less if you have kids. calories keep you moving so if your with in a three day walk of your bug out location then your good. I see a compass but no maps. Yes knowing which way is north is useful but knowing that the town your going to is really 23 degrees northeast and not due north is more useful. Last toilet paper would be a nice addition. I hope this constructive criticism helps you build a better bag.