How Does This BOB Stack Up?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How Does This BOB Stack Up?

• Quality of images
    • Explanation of contents and use
    • Organization and weight
    • Practicality of overall Bag contents
    • Creativity
    • This is the best BOB entry of the group!

Are you planning on more contests like these? Even without the prizes and such. Basically i'm asking because i'm too young to afford what i would like to have in my BOB. Right now i don't have much just basic stuff like a good knife, rope, medical supplies, water storage, a fire arm, military sleeping bag, etc, and as much knowledge as I can get my hands on. And thanks to that free topo site i have a topographic map of my area in addition to other maps.

American Rogue,

This is where you could clean house on creativity. There's no reason you couldn't still enter and who knows, you might come up with some great ideas no one's even though of here in the forums. Just a thought.

We're hoping to do more of this. Josh got us thinking and possibly in the future we'll look at doing a full on 72 hour bugout event where folks can log lessons learned. We'll wait till the weather turns better for the first one and see how that goes.

Thanks!

The SurvivalCache Team

There is a small group that does mock bug out events down by San Diego usually with a mock scenario that just started up this year. http://outerzoneovernight.com/ (I don't think they update the site as more then 2 have happened) there thing seems a little more on the mass appeal end of things then the true test of survival skills but if your putting something together it gives you something to compare against. 72 hour bug out event would be an fun social test of gear with a little bit of a safety net by having other people around for those with less outdoors experience. Please keep us in the loop on the bug out event.

Weapons:

SBR M4 with Eotech and BUIS

Remington 870 HD with Knoxx Copstock Folder

Ruger P89

Blades:

Coldsteel recon tanto

Hibbons throwing knife

Stainless dive knife

Classic style hatchet

Leatherman Multitool

Food and such:

3x 1 quart canteens

3 weeks worth of rice

2x jars of peanut butter

2x bottles of energy supplements

1 bottle of multivitamins

1 bottle of vitamin C tabs

5 steel cables for snares

Medical gear:

Wash tub

Button cord

Surgical needles

10x high absorbent surgipads

2x rolls gauze rap

Blood pressure cuff

Full surgical kit including clamps, probes, and scalpals

Instant cold pack

Standard small first aid kit

Ultraset (perscription pain killer that you can NOT go to sleep while on...seriously)

Oceans sinus flush

Emergency space blanket

Bottle of iodine for wound flush including gunshot

1 liter hydrogen peroxide for instrument cleaning

Big ass can of energy drink until I can order a couple of I.V. kits

Other:

level IIIA vest and a Nomex flight suit

Misc. and rigging gear:

100' of 16000 lb repeling line

2x repeling harnesses

500' of 550 lb cord

Israeli gas mask

3x road flares

Military issue signal flare set

1 quart black powder

1x emergency poncho

GPS and software for laptop with car charger for laptop

Compass for if I can't use my GPS

Military field book

Leather bound notebook

Camping silverware

those black tarp looking things on the floor are dump bags. Great to keep around so if you're in a hurry you can just stuff crap into them quick

post-1317-13851497699277_thumb.jpg

post-1317-1385149769958_thumb.jpg

post-1317-13851497699883_thumb.jpg

post-1317-13851497700227_thumb.jpg

post-1317-13851497700544_thumb.jpg

Weapons:

SBR M4 with Eotech and BUIS

Remington 870 HD with Knoxx Copstock Folder

Ruger P89

Blades:

Coldsteel recon tanto

Hibbons throwing knife

Stainless dive knife

Classic style hatchet

Leatherman Multitool

Food and such:

3x 1 quart canteens

3 weeks worth of rice

2x jars of peanut butter

2x bottles of energy supplements

1 bottle of multivitamins

1 bottle of vitamin C tabs

5 steel cables for snares

Medical gear:

Wash tub

Button cord

Surgical needles

10x high absorbent surgipads

2x rolls gauze rap

Blood pressure cuff

Full surgical kit including clamps, probes, and scalpals

Instant cold pack

Standard small first aid kit

Ultraset (perscription pain killer that you can NOT go to sleep while on...seriously)

Oceans sinus flush

Emergency space blanket

Bottle of iodine for wound flush including gunshot

1 liter hydrogen peroxide for instrument cleaning

Big ass can of energy drink until I can order a couple of I.V. kits

Other:

level IIIA vest and a Nomex flight suit

Misc. and rigging gear:

100' of 16000 lb repeling line

2x repeling harnesses

500' of 550 lb cord

Israeli gas mask

3x road flares

Military issue signal flare set

1 quart black powder

1x emergency poncho

GPS and software for laptop with car charger for laptop

Compass for if I can't use my GPS

Military field book

Leather bound notebook

Camping silverware

those black tarp looking things on the floor are dump bags. Great to keep around so if you're in a hurry you can just stuff crap into them quick

post-1317-13851497633686_thumb.jpg

post-1317-13851497633996_thumb.jpg

post-1317-13851497634292_thumb.jpg

post-1317-13851497634588_thumb.jpg

post-1317-13851497634895_thumb.jpg

I have a tiered approach much like some of the other posts have. Mine is centered currently around being trapped in a blizzard or the like. We have not received any snow yet (thank Jahova/God/the universe) but it is coming. Anything that may happen when there is no snow, can be taken care of with what we have in the vehicles. Should snow arrive, the Cold weather kits will sustain the entire family in the van for two to three days (depending on rationing). Water will be obtained through the melting of snow. I anticipate that if we do get stuck, we will not suffer a turn over, though the kits are all secured in the van to ensure they do not become missiles should that happen. I also assume (though I plan for it not to happen) that the engine still works, and so heat will be something that we can use the vehicle to produce. The contents of the bag are meant to get me home, and the BOB has what I carry daily. The car and van lists show what is in them at all times now that the winter is upon us. When summer returns, and snow is gone, the contents revert back to the normal, stuck in a ditch, tire is flat, call AAA mode of the emergency kit. Generally as a rule, we have food and water on us when we go for any trip that takes us anywhere we may get stuck away from help. Kids get hungry. I have also listed what I affectionately call my Go To Hell Kit (GTHK) which is replacing the OSK (Oh Shit Kit), as I am deciding that carrying 100 pounds of gear with two children over any distance is going to destroy me and my wife. So lighter is better for us right now. This would only be used if we were unable to go to the BOL via vehicle, and our bug in supplies were exhausted. The OSK was based around a 30 day sustainment load, put into an ALICE pack. This is being replaced by a shorter term, two to four day load in an assault pack. The idea being that we will be at the BOL within 48 hours, which would be overly slow movement. All other necessities will be kept at the BOL. We know the area well enough that we can get to the BOL without maps during the summer, and winter months, cross country, which is a shorter route, and much more secure (as we would not follow roads). The GTHK is not finished, as I still have some components to get and put into the kit. What you see is what I have so far. I do not have the money to get some items I really want (REAL compression bandages, sterile gauze in great amounts, etc.) so I had to make do with what my wife was able to get for free via couponing (ie Maxipads, and tampons, as well as duct tape). Some things I got a while back, for my bag on deployments, and these are there.

BOB/GHB: 5.11 Rush 12 backpack, SAM splint, tourniquet, flashlight, Multi tool, metal bottle, funnel, riggers tape, 2x lashing straps, 1 days food (roughly 1500 calories), trauma scheers, minor trauma kit (2x tampons, 1x maxipad), first aid kit (bandaids gauze, sterile wipes, lighter), emergency blanket, mirror, hearing protection, small box w/ magnesium firestarter, lighter, whistle, batteries for flashlight, small deck of cards, MP3 player, gloves, zandanna, reflective patch (upside down on pack).

Van Contents:

Minor Trauma Kit; 2x SAM splints, 1x Tourniquet

Vehicle Emergency Kit; Axe, tow rope, reflective triangle, small tool kit, Peak 1 stove, jumper cables.

Cold Weather kit (Blackhawk Patrol Pack); 2 days food for whole family (drink mixes, main meals, snacks), wool blanket, orange fleece blanket (not pictured), e-tool (not pictured, switches between vehicles), hand sanitizer (hygiene, fuel for can stove, see cold weather kit 2), radio, 1 liter canteen with canteen cup.

Cold weather kit 2; can stove (old tuna can, cotton facial cleansing pads, matches, lighter), spray hand sanitizer, emergency blanket, hand warmers, whistle, duct tape, toilet paper, 5x individual alcohol wipes, lighters, matches.

Glove box/interior compartments; first aid kitsx2 (Band-Aids, gauze, alcohol wipes), multi tool, pliers, jack, tire iron, GPS.

Car Contents:

Cold weather kit; 2 days chow (main meals, snacks, drink mixes), wool sweater, blanket (not pictured), heavy gloves (these move with me, but are cold weather kit), poncho liner, radio, 2 liter canteen.

Cold weather kit 2; same as above.

GTHK (Go To Hell Kit): (His) Condor Modular Operator Plate Carrier w/ 8x magazine pouches, saw drum pouch (acts as GP/dump pouch), GP pouch w/ binos, 10 magazines (9th in GP pouch, 10th in rifle). Ka-Bar Tanto w/ spec ops sheath. BOB w/ poncho liner, all loose rounds for primary systems (AR and 1911, not pictured), cleaning kit, UA Cold gear top, extra socks, two days chow for me and one child, diapers, wipes, extra set clothes for child, GPS, 2x 1liter canteens . AR w/ ambidextrous magazine release, and safety, iron sights, ambidextrous sling attachment point, MIAD grip with lower receiver components inside, Surefire Millennium weapon light. 1911 w/ Serpa holster, and five spare mags (two out, one in, two away in BOB), MARPAT digi woodlands, Kevlar helmet.

Hers: Blackhawk Patrol Pack*, wool blanket, UA cold gear top x 1, extra socks, two days food for her and one child, diapers, wipes, SAM splint, tourniquet, minor trauma kit (as listed above), 2x canteens w/ canteen cup, all loose .22LR & 9mm. Peak one stove, matches, lighters, emergency poncho (til I get a real one that is, then it will be a legit poncho), Ka-Bar knife (not pictured). MARPAT digi woodlands, GI pot helmet. Browning Hi Power with six mags (one in, two in poiches, three stowed in pack), .22LR rifle (strapped across pack top).

*this is set to change after I begin the spring semester, as my wife wants a 5.11 Rush 12, this will then become her primary bag, at which point, stowing the .22LR becomes problematic.

Additional note, Binos were an initial after thought, but I figured the ability to recon the route from afar, was better than finding out what was there as we got to it. I plan on replacing them with a spotting scope in the near future.

post-1167-13851497636326_thumb.jpg

I will look at this again to tomorrow, but I only get nights to do this stuff, as I have to take care of kids and such during the day, so any typos, gramtical errors, or something I missed in my kit, as far as covering it, is mainly due to me trying like hell to keep my eyes open. Any questions, please let me know, and if i think of anything, I will include it later. thanks for looking.

post-1167-13851497635209_thumb.jpg

post-1167-13851497635574_thumb.jpg

post-1167-13851497635954_thumb.jpg

I have a tiered approach much like some of the other posts have. Mine is centered currently around being trapped in a blizzard or the like. We have not received any snow yet (thank Jahova/God/the universe) but it is coming. Anything that may happen when there is no snow, can be taken care of with what we have in the vehicles. Should snow arrive, the Cold weather kits will sustain the entire family in the van for two to three days (depending on rationing). Water will be obtained through the melting of snow. I anticipate that if we do get stuck, we will not suffer a turn over, though the kits are all secured in the van to ensure they do not become missiles should that happen. I also assume (though I plan for it not to happen) that the engine still works, and so heat will be something that we can use the vehicle to produce. The contents of the bag are meant to get me home, and the BOB has what I carry daily. The car and van lists show what is in them at all times now that the winter is upon us. When summer returns, and snow is gone, the contents revert back to the normal, stuck in a ditch, tire is flat, call AAA mode of the emergency kit. Generally as a rule, we have food and water on us when we go for any trip that takes us anywhere we may get stuck away from help. Kids get hungry. I have also listed what I affectionately call my Go To Hell Kit (GTHK) which is replacing the OSK (Oh Shit Kit), as I am deciding that carrying 100 pounds of gear with two children over any distance is going to destroy me and my wife. So lighter is better for us right now. This would only be used if we were unable to go to the BOL via vehicle, and our bug in supplies were exhausted. The OSK was based around a 30 day sustainment load, put into an ALICE pack. This is being replaced by a shorter term, two to four day load in an assault pack. The idea being that we will be at the BOL within 48 hours, which would be overly slow movement. All other necessities will be kept at the BOL. We know the area well enough that we can get to the BOL without maps during the summer, and winter months, cross country, which is a shorter route, and much more secure (as we would not follow roads). The GTHK is not finished, as I still have some components to get and put into the kit. What you see is what I have so far. I do not have the money to get some items I really want (REAL compression bandages, sterile gauze in great amounts, etc.) so I had to make do with what my wife was able to get for free via couponing (ie Maxipads, and tampons, as well as duct tape). Some things I got a while back, for my bag on deployments, and these are there.

BOB/GHB: 5.11 Rush 12 backpack, SAM splint, tourniquet, flashlight, Multi tool, metal bottle, funnel, riggers tape, 2x lashing straps, 1 days food (roughly 1500 calories), trauma scheers, minor trauma kit (2x tampons, 1x maxipad), first aid kit (bandaids gauze, sterile wipes, lighter), emergency blanket, mirror, hearing protection, small box w/ magnesium firestarter, lighter, whistle, batteries for flashlight, small deck of cards, MP3 player, gloves, zandanna, reflective patch (upside down on pack).

Van Contents:

Minor Trauma Kit; 2x SAM splints, 1x Tourniquet

Vehicle Emergency Kit; Axe, tow rope, reflective triangle, small tool kit, Peak 1 stove, jumper cables.

Cold Weather kit (Blackhawk Patrol Pack); 2 days food for whole family (drink mixes, main meals, snacks), wool blanket, orange fleece blanket (not pictured), e-tool (not pictured, switches between vehicles), hand sanitizer (hygiene, fuel for can stove, see cold weather kit 2), radio, 1 liter canteen with canteen cup.

Cold weather kit 2; can stove (old tuna can, cotton facial cleansing pads, matches, lighter), spray hand sanitizer, emergency blanket, hand warmers, whistle, duct tape, toilet paper, 5x individual alcohol wipes, lighters, matches.

Glove box/interior compartments; first aid kitsx2 (Band-Aids, gauze, alcohol wipes), multi tool, pliers, jack, tire iron, GPS.

Car Contents:

Cold weather kit; 2 days chow (main meals, snacks, drink mixes), wool sweater, blanket (not pictured), heavy gloves (these move with me, but are cold weather kit), poncho liner, radio, 2 liter canteen.

Cold weather kit 2; same as above.

GTHK (Go To Hell Kit): (His) Condor Modular Operator Plate Carrier w/ 8x magazine pouches, saw drum pouch (acts as GP/dump pouch), GP pouch w/ binos, 10 magazines (9th in GP pouch, 10th in rifle). Ka-Bar Tanto w/ spec ops sheath. BOB w/ poncho liner, all loose rounds for primary systems (AR and 1911, not pictured), cleaning kit, UA Cold gear top, extra socks, two days chow for me and one child, diapers, wipes, extra set clothes for child, GPS, 2x 1liter canteens . AR w/ ambidextrous magazine release, and safety, iron sights, ambidextrous sling attachment point, MIAD grip with lower receiver components inside, Surefire Millennium weapon light. 1911 w/ Serpa holster, and five spare mags (two out, one in, two away in BOB), MARPAT digi woodlands, Kevlar helmet.

Hers: Blackhawk Patrol Pack*, wool blanket, UA cold gear top x 1, extra socks, two days food for her and one child, diapers, wipes, SAM splint, tourniquet, minor trauma kit (as listed above), 2x canteens w/ canteen cup, all loose .22LR & 9mm. Peak one stove, matches, lighters, emergency poncho (til I get a real one that is, then it will be a legit poncho), Ka-Bar knife (not pictured). MARPAT digi woodlands, GI pot helmet. Browning Hi Power with six mags (one in, two in poiches, three stowed in pack), .22LR rifle (strapped across pack top).

*this is set to change after I begin the spring semester, as my wife wants a 5.11 Rush 12, this will then become her primary bag, at which point, stowing the .22LR becomes problematic.

Additional note, Binos were an initial after thought, but I figured the ability to recon the route from afar, was better than finding out what was there as we got to it. I plan on replacing them with a spotting scope in the near future.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]152[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]153[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]154[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]155[/ATTACH]

I will look at this again to tomorrow, but I only get nights to do this stuff, as I have to take care of kids and such during the day, so any typos, gramtical errors, or something I missed in my kit, as far as covering it, is mainly due to me trying like hell to keep my eyes open. Any questions, please let me know, and if i think of anything, I will include it later. thanks for looking.

post-1167-13851497700858_thumb.jpg

post-1167-13851497701218_thumb.jpg

post-1167-13851497701618_thumb.jpg

post-1167-13851497701989_thumb.jpg

These are some updated pictures for my Bug Out Bag. The entire set up weighs 50 pounds (Yes, it's heavy). The sleeping bag and all medical supplies weigh 10 of the 50 pounds and as you can see there is a lot of room to cut on supplies, but since this is for me and not someone else, I find it to work. This can easily be spaced out between two persons, but I am more than capable of hauling it long periods of time through woodlands (the advantages of being 6'4" 200 lbs.).

post-1333-13851497638845_thumb.jpg

post-1333-13851497637602_thumb.jpg

post-1333-13851497638081_thumb.jpg

post-1333-13851497638485_thumb.jpg

These are some updated pictures for my Bug Out Bag. The entire set up weighs 50 pounds (Yes, it's heavy). The sleeping bag and all medical supplies weigh 10 of the 50 pounds and as you can see there is a lot of room to cut on supplies, but since this is for me and not someone else, I find it to work. This can easily be spaced out between two persons, but I am more than capable of hauling it long periods of time through woodlands (the advantages of being 6'4" 200 lbs.).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]167[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]168[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]169[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]170[/ATTACH]

post-1333-13851497724845_thumb.jpg

post-1333-13851497725331_thumb.jpg

post-1333-13851497725668_thumb.jpg

post-1333-13851497725999_thumb.jpg

Nepalese Kukri.

Kukris made in Nepal, unlike most American ones, have thicker blades, adding force. The forward design and thick blade of the kukri makes it good for chopping and combat. It can also be used for skinning and other tasks. A 15" blade is nice for both chopping and combat without being too big or small. I've heard Cold Steel's is nice, but have not used it.

They are the Gurkha's combat (and utility) blade. These are the two places to get quality ones from (I got mine from The Khukuri House - http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/catalog/enlarge.php?id=313634f1676ℑ=left):

http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

Edited by Canteen81