Sign in to follow this  
Sherrie

Just found out that I am no longer cool now that I am into Surviving LOL!

Great suggestions Rick. Sherrie, catfish hunter had a great BOB list that has the weights for each item as well. You can also check the shipping weights of the item for an "idea" on what the weight will be. If you buy everything you want and it turns into a pack to heavy to carry, then you lose time deciding what you must leave behind. That time can be the difference on getting out in time.

reg,

i have had the extreme pleasure to PM with sherrie since her beginings here. its been a long time since ive seen someone so eager to learn

this life style and so wanting to grasp every little detail and apply it in her very own situation. she has jumped in with both feet first,

thats how bad she wants this way of life to be her own. i think thats fantastic. im very excited for her as theres nothing like that newbie feeling

where your learning so much and everything you read is brand new and exciting. then there is the hunt to build your basic bags.

ok damnitt, im getting jealous! keep up the good work sherrie your doing fantastic!

I understand the sense of urgency but take a deep breath and don't go overboard. One of my biggest regrets was focusing on quantity in the beginning and having to go back and re-buy things for quality. Read reviews on everything, put serious thought into how your going to use gear and if your not sure then it's time to research the gear more before buying.

exactly. i call that buying twice. lots and lots of wasted money gets spent that way.

Rick, thank you so much for your encouragement. Between you and Regulator5 and these forums I am slowly building confidence and knowledge. Being welcomed in with the TRUE cool kids here is an honor. You are such a skilled, insightful, multi talented, group of planners. I have just emailed the American Family Preparedness to see if there is anything equivalent up here. *thanks for that tip Regulator*

Autonomous - I just bought a very handy 50.00 Car emergency preparedness kit. It does break from one canvas zippered compact bag into two. I am tempted to put the car emergency preparedness stuff *all fantastic stuff* into another one container bag and utilize your idea with the bag. Thanks for that! While building my bugoutbag I have another bag in my bedroom for the car that I am still working on. My cat is looking at me strange like... Hmmmm... this is getting hard to get from the bed to the cat bowl with all this gear laying here. LOL! He will be thankful when the day comes and he sees Ihave prepared for him as well.

Edited by Sherrie
typos

Sherrie,

Two of my kids worked airlines. Neither do now, one's a corporate pilot and the other a banker! The airline went away! It is good to have gear; it is better to have food and water. I'm assuming you're doing both. Also, since you're talking BOB (bug out bag) the question is where are you bugging out to and why? For example, a major hurricane along the Texas coast and I GOOD (get out of dodge) and go west. In Houston NEVER go east or north to avoid a hurricane - that is the way the storms go. If you're in the Northwest, you can prep for earthquakes and major storms.

Being gray is about being a private person. My neighbors have no need or right to know what I have for emergencies. The people I buy from certainly have NO right to inquire about why I buy things. One of the best places to buy some of the more 'unusual' gear is farm or tractor supply places; also RV shops. If you're looking at a propane stove at an RV shop they just assume you're a camper.

It is hard not to encourage folks to get ready but if you let them know you are prepared, you had better have enough to share with them, their family and friends, the town and the city officials who may want to know why you are "HOARDING". Just remember, if you buy before there are shortages, you're not hoarding, you're stocking up. If you buy more than you immediately need AFTER the shortages begin, you may be guilty of a crime. During the bird flu scare some years back some Brit friends were limited to 10 children's Tylenol a week for a family with 4 kids! Since they knew someone of doubtful upbringing and dubious respect for idiot laws my god-children were taken care of but it was instructive. When disaster strikes even normal meds may be rationed.

Think about what you see as the most likely disaster scenarios and what you might need to get through those times. Then build lists with priority. In the winter, in Canada, I suspect that shelter is the single most important item. Then water and food followed by other things. Make your purchases based on those lists. If you're bugging out, make sure your BOL (Bug Out Location) is within your range of travel and will be suitable for you when you get there.

It is a lot to consider and I do understand the urgency but if you start down the wrong path, you are wasting time and money. Taking a moment to decide where you are going with your preps can save time, money and perhaps your life. Finally, remember the old WW2 saying:"Loose lips sink Ships". If no one knows what you have, they won't try to take it from you and you won't be forced to defend your location.

Capt Bart, You have certainly struck a nerve. I had decided that my dear friends of over 20 years who live over an hours drive away then a 2 hour ferry ride should get prepared. As a friendship gift I sent them Hawkes Green Beret Survival Manual. Tonight I spoke with them and asked if they are prepared. I was thanked for the gift but then was told that he got some good laughs looking through it and was told that long story short I was being ridiculous and paranoi. I wont bother getting into all this as you guys are more experienced hence the advice of being grey. I thought that would apply more to neighbours and retail people not close people. I have learned that even people that are close, close friends are in denial and crazy stubborn against survivalism.

Everything about this lifestyle makes sense to me. I must master being grey.

Problem is when you fly ... especially my long routes of Vancouver to Sydney you tend to chat and share with your collegues as there is so much time to do that. We all talk about our passions. Would be a huge mistake to share with them how excited I am to get my swiss army knife and my new SOG E37T-K SEAL Pup Elite Kydex Sheath Black TiNi Partially Serr. or how much I am looking forward to my new fish net etc etc.... He told me that the red flag would be if I overspend and start buying knives and archery equipment... I told him I guess that means my purchasing a slingshot and a knife would be bad. Our conversation went on for a LONG time. I will have to find other like minded people like me up here.

As far as where I will go if I have to leave my home... to be honest. I dont really know. I have lived here five years but dont know the area and dont feel I belong. I am a healer and nurturer. Its possible I will be the one to set up a triage type area and try to help people before they kill me or take my supplies.

I just dont know where to go. I am sure I should head East. Not West as that would take me into Vancouver. Hopefully I will link up with people up here that

know more than I.

As far as food and water go.. in my bugoutbag I have put enough to keep myself going probably a couple weeks. I am always surrounded by water and have a water filtration system on the way and in the meantime I have a small cup filtration thing to keep me going until the good one comes. I have ordered a bio-lite stove which wont be here until Dec. Am making sure I check with Regulator5, ricksconnected or these forums PRIOR to making the big purchases. That way I wont make any mistakes. I really rely on you guys.

A very alpha female girlfriend of mine who is another dear friend is way too delicate. She will die immediately if she doesnt get prepared. She is very curious and I have cautioned her to keep quiet about this. Ot her person I will work on is my brother. Thats it though.

I have weighed my BOB pack again and its at 43 pounds. I am trying to walk around my bedroom with it on to strengthen myself up. I have a roomie and she would be suspicous if I suddenly became the outdoorsy woman and went in the blustering rain with my Bob on LOL. I live in rainy BC Canada.

Am going to wait for all the stuff to come in that I have ordered and try to figure out how to get it all into my already stuffed Bob Bag. You guys are true experts at planning.Thanks to Survivalism I have developed new interests, passions for Surviving, ways to get nourishment, heal people, slingshot, do knots,

etc. The way I see it is that even if things dont go sideways I havent hurt anyway with all my learning and planning right?

Sherrie,

"Ah, grasshopper, you are learning" (apologies to TV series, Kung Fu) There are several threads over on the main site about helping family understand prepping. It is tough when one (especially the wife) is a prepper and the other thinks it is stupid. A wife will tend to tolerate her husband's foolishness; a husband tends to think his wife is doubting his ability to care for her (actually, I guess she is but don't tell a guy that!) and gets VERY defensive. Male ego is incredibly delicate. The trick for your conversations is to choose the correct hobbies. You are not a prepper, you are interested in the life style of the early pioneers in your area. You are not a prepper, you are into geo-caching and spend a lot of times in the parks and such - you need a field knife and a first aid kit and a canteen. You are not a prepper you are into bird watching and you go into the woods looking for a (insert name of really rare bird in your area here) so you need the camping gear. You are not a prepper, you are a day hiker, a canoe enthusiast, an environmentalist (love to check out the woods to see if things are OK AND you are politically correct!).

A lot of the advice I give to teenagers applies here as well. There are a great many activities that contribute to prepping but don't appear to be related so are acceptable. Camping supplies are good; camping trips let you search for a bug out location. You must have a place to go if you GOOD; just wandering around is a very bad Plan A.

Since you travel a lot, think about your survival when you are in the hotel and on the plane. A survival hood to protect against smoke

https://www.forgesurvivalsupply.com/store/nuke-bio--chem-protection/88.html?redirected=1

zip ties to hold blankets together or to use as handcuffs (freaked out passenger?) or to make a pack or ???? A paracord identifier on your roll aboard, lots of uses for a hundred feet of parachute cord. You are limited to your knife size, of course, but a basic, P-38 type can opener has a sharp edge and WILL open cans or cut stuff.

These are just some hits, be creative and think of your environment. A person with a sharp edge and a little cord can survive. Not easily at first, but starting there, it does get better. When you are away from home you have problems because of airport security BUT a survival whistle is not forbidden. Mine has a compass and a small magnifying glass as well. With the glass I can start a fire. A little dryer lint stuffed in the bottom of your rollaboard will not raise an eyebrow but it IS tinder for a fire. Not the best answers, but answers that do fit the needs of the moment.

Capt Bart, You are so wise Oh Great Grasshoppa Masta. LOL!

Alot of great pointers. I am definately going to start working on how I speak and become much more grey. When I first heard you guys use the word grey and express its meaning I did think you were going overboard but I get it now.

First, I will 100 % not get into a relationship with a guy if he is adverse to my being a survivalist. That will be a deal breaker. I can put up with alot but this is a way of life and I need a partner like minded and supportive. I have spent over a thousand dollars on all these little things I have been running out to get for my BOB and car and ordering online. Still not done. If I had a partner not into this it would of been hell getting the okay. LOL Can't imagine.

I have heard alot of you talking about make sure you do research before buying so you don't buy twice. That is why i check here first. All my stuff is based on what you guys have referred. I have bought a paracord bracelet which I will wear travelling now and I am definately going to tuck some dryer lint in my suitcase and a few other things I can get away with.

Makes me sad that I have to change from being an open book to keeping things close to my chest but I see the necessity now.

Thank God for you guys!

Sherrie,

Capt was speaking of hobbies...this might be one that could fit with your prepping and while it may seem a little off to some your friends doesn't have the prepper/survivalist stigma attached to it. As an added benefit it could give you the chance to pick up some additional skills.

http://bcblackpowder.ca/

Thanks VonBayern, I am going to keep it in mind. I have to be honest though. I have NO desire to shoot. I almost took my eye out with a rifle. Still have the scar. I took shooting lessons once. Was absolutely not for me. I picked up a slingshot though and will try to excel at this. Thing is... everyone knows I hate guns. IM SORRY I DIDNT WANT TO SAY THAT. I feel fear every time I am near one. I grew up with alot of violence around me and my nature is a healer, nurturer. Would seem very bizarre to people if I suddenly joined a gun club. BUT I have to wonder if they would know of any survivalist type groups I could join up here. There must be some.

Thanks VonBayern, I will email them and feel them out.

You guys are great!

Both my hands were injured bad enough in severe turbulence that I couldnt use either of them for 3 months. Seriously can you imagine what it was like.... even doing your personal daily hygiene... Lol.. not good... anyway, 2 years off work,

and 2 years of hand rehabilitation.

I now have arthritis in both hands. I dont complain as everyone has to bear stuff and frankly its nothing compared to what others have to deal with.

Thats why I chose a slingshot. I thought I could train both hands to do it so when one hand couldnt do it anymore the other can take over.

Really good suggestions though. <3

You could always give archery a try too.

Hmmm...you could use a crossbow with a goats foot to help you pull the string back to the cocked position. Years ago I was in the SCA <Society for Creative Anachronisms> a medieval recreation type group. Had a lot of fun whacking people with sticks and such and even learned how to make beer there as well, but we also had people who were more into the craft and food side of things. I didn't expect the black powder guys to be any different, I'm sure there are groups within the main group for various interests some of which would be of use to you.

vonBayern, The black powder (buckskinners) are the same. There are people who follow the Colonial lifestyles as cobblers, coopers, blacksmiths, bakers, etc on top of the shooting. Some of the living history forts or other historical landmarks (Colonial Williamsburg) have craftsmen/women there full time doing the "interpretting" and show casing their craft.

It was at one of the "buckskinner" events that I got my 5 yr old (3 at the time) started on making hand dipped candles. Now we have to do it every once in awhile just so she can play...lol. I like that being a member of these groups or following this type of "lifestyle", I can train/teach the kids (or anyone) and nobody be the wiser. We are just learning to live like the Pioneers and with the kids, I am showing them history for school. Part of being grey, is being able to hide in plain sight because nobody pays attention.

It can be difficult finding people in RL who want to talk about these kinds of things. I got started through talking to my brother; he and my sister are both willing to talk about it, but it would be easier if someone close by was into it. Until I started researching, and realized that LDS is HUGE into prepping...and there are LDS people all over! Now I have a friend that works for my husband who is LDS, and one I asked her about this, she is all about sharing info with me. (probably hopes to reduce the number of freeloaders who show up at her house when SHTF) They've been doing this stuff for a long time; lots of support and history/experience to share. Do you have any friends who are LDS? Another thing to reduce the "freak out" factor about talking about this is to make like you are prepping for a common type natural disaster, in the wake of what happened with sandy. I've brought it up with several friends how scary that is, and how I'm going to make sure my "hurricane prep" kit is fully ready for next season. Might get some of them thinking.

All that being said, I'm still grey with my husband; I've tried bringing it up and he just has no interest in crazyness. Even hurricane prep has no place in his world, although he did seem outraged that some of these people had no more than 3 days of food in their houses, and I had to wonder how much did he think we used to have? ;)

Shea thats a great way to ease it the discussion with your husband. Tell him you were concerned that if something like that hit your town that you did want to provide for your family and not seem so unprepared as most of the Sandy victims.

Almost 25 years ago, my wife and I became friends with a family that were LDS. We learned much from them. Basic rules of having three months supplies and finances. Their whole outlook of self sufficiency before community outreach is still part of our world. As a group you will be hard to find anyone else that it more willing to help others to help themselves.

We too are new to prepping and were openly talking in front of our kids. Had to rethink that one as kids have ears and like to talk. We've since watered it down to we're getting stuff for camping next spring (which is nothing new as we do go camping...usually sans mom...but that will change :P ). I don't want to be known as the mom who stores food for weeks, because they'll remember when they have nothing in case of an emergency. All the prep we're going to be doing with the kids will be under the guise of getting more proficient in camping skills.

We've always been the odd people who home-schooled, home-birthed, cloth diapered, into more natural healing etc.....so we've had practice being grey...in fact so much we've become too mainstream ;) People look at me now in heels and business attire and think I'm just another soccer mom/fluff mom.

I'm good at looking helpless and wide-eyed 'cause I don't know much about prepping. I do my research online, ask lots of questions online and then go to the store and pick out what I need. If the salespeople start wanting to help (usually they don't really know any more than me) I just pretend to be interested and then proclaim I want that one 'cause it's pretty. They roll their eyes at another female buying stuff 'cause it looks pretty. Works for me B)