Sign in to follow this  
Sherrie

Just found out that I am no longer cool now that I am into Surviving LOL!

I am SUPER new to all this and have to say that learning to survive is probably one of the most fascinating subjects and skills I have ever been involved in.

Having said that.. I am quickly realizing that even the clerks selling survival stuff like Knives etc seem to

react kind of different when I explain to them that I am creating a bugout bag in case of earthquake or disaster. First off they didnt know the term bug out. Thats okay. Maybe in Canada its a different term. I will learn.

What is bothering me is the glazed over eyes or standoffishness that seems to occur when I explain my reasons for buying all the stuff I have been buying.

They go from very positive body language and good eye contact to aversion and monotone.

I work on an aircraft for a living and frankly, we are the most superficial bunch of people. Alot of judging goes on. I am dreading the discussions coming up when I am flying...

Even the sweet old guy in Home Depot got all condensending with me when I explained my reasons for all the rope and asked him for advice.

ya know what???? Those will be the same people that will look to those of us that have prepped to provide for them.

Sorry for the rant.

Feels good to have somewhere to do it

Sherrie, you are truly a part of the family now....lol. We're all the "red-headed step kids".

To help get better service, just think of the purpose you will use the items for and not generalize with survivalism. The media has done all it can to sway public perception of preppers/survivalists as "crazies and loons", so most people you come across have a negative perception of you if you mention it.

My packs are for camping, hunting or backpacking/hiking and the same with just about everything else I buy. I'm lucky enough to have gotten alot of gear when in the military and had that as a reason. Remaining "gray" has as much to do with avoiding the negative encounters you spoke of as it does with ensuring nobody comes looking for my preps if things go bad. JMO.

P.S. I wouldn't discuss it at work. I know the TSA has been placing preppers on the "no fly list" and would hate to see it cost you your job. Just a thought.

I am SUPER new to all this and have to say that learning to survive is probably one of the most fascinating subjects and skills I have ever been involved in.

Having said that.. I am quickly realizing that even the clerks selling survival stuff like Knives etc seem to

react kind of different when I explain to them that I am creating a bugout bag in case of earthquake or disaster. First off they didnt know the term bug out. Thats okay. Maybe in Canada its a different term. I will learn.

What is bothering me is the glazed over eyes or standoffishness that seems to occur when I explain my reasons for buying all the stuff I have been buying.

They go from very positive body language and good eye contact to aversion and monotone.

I work on an aircraft for a living and frankly, we are the most superficial bunch of people. Alot of judging goes on. I am dreading the discussions coming up when I am flying...

Even the sweet old guy in Home Depot got all condensending with me when I explained my reasons for all the rope and asked him for advice.

ya know what???? Those will be the same people that will look to those of us that have prepped to provide for them.

Sorry for the rant.

Hmmmm! Perhaps you should read up on being "grey". It works for more than one reason!

Sounds like you are quick out of the gate. Ooops! Pun.

Welcome Sherrie! Glad to have you aboard. (Oh no, another one!) :o

All excellent advice.

It would save me alot of grief if I didnt mention it. Have to think about it. I dont want to be a hypocrite. I can see some of my close airline friends gabbing and word getting out. It will only be a matter of time.

Funny how many dimensions there are to this survival world.

I am going to embrace being the red headed step child if need be and I figure another 10 years Maximum and I am out

of the airline industry. I can handle anything for 10 years. Been there since 1980.

Being grey (does that mean holding things close to your chest?) would work nicely in the stores. Sure wish there was a survival store where people are like minded so I could be steered in the right direction. Its so costly to spend on this stuff only to find out its the wrong rope or wrong whatever.

I am in Vancouver (Langley) BC. The US border is close to here. Wondering if the US has specialty stores dedicated to

survival. What type of stores would they be? I have been going to mountain supply type stores.

I could do a trip across the border.

Is there anyone on these forums from Bellingham or Blaine Washington? If so can you recommend where you go to buy stuff?

Thanks again

PS This is a community of people I would be proud to call family

Aware! Skilled! (and pretty humorous)

Well I've been called funny, but looks aren't everything.

Camping and hunting stores, farm supply, and even department stores all offer the prepper needed items. It would depend on what exactly I was looking to purchase as to what store I would check with. I can get rope at almost any hardware or farm store, same with twine; tents and other outdoor gear I would go to a caping store.

If looking for survival items for a wilderness setting, look for a store that has a knowledgeable staff on backpacking camping (REI is one in the US). They offer lightweight gear designed for a long term camping/hiking trip in the back country. All you need to do is tell them you are planning for a week or 2 week camping trip where you are backpacking in the back country. You aren't being a hypocrite, because technically, that's what a "bug out" would be (just maybe longer term depending on your plans).

Even if you research online and find the items you want or want to look at in person, checking with the manufacturers web sites will offer dealers in your locations normally.

Sorry for the rant.

Some of us were never cool. Not refering to me, of course, but some of us.

Shoot, I was always cool. I can't help that no one else knew it!

Sherrie, it isn't being hypocritical to be somewhat close-mouthed about why you're doing certain things. Think more along the lines of it being only reasonable, given Hurricane Sandy and the storm that followed, to be prepared for a natural disaster or some such thing. And welcome!

i'm from washinton but quite aways from you there is a survival store near me i dont know about blaine or bellingham thier website is: http://www.survivalcenter.com/ they are very nice there...they are located in yelm...its about a two and a half hour drive from the border...

Thanks so much Wally.

I will probably plan a trip there just for fun in the near future.

I sent them an email asking if they could recommend any stores up here.

Appreciate the time you took

"Just found out that I am no longer cool now that I am into Surviving LOL!"

Ya. pretty much. But Im used to that.

Kinda reminds me of a rock radio station slogan in Cinncinati

"We ArE tHe LUnAtiC FRINGE..."

My nerdyisms and geekishness are MY badge of HONOR!!!

god help me

Preppings not cool? wtf....thats why I was into it, to impress the cool kids.....darn it. Oh well maybe I'm just one of the first in on a new trend....one that if your late to the party on you REALLY wish yu'd seen the benefit in when one of THOSE weirdo "survival nuts" had tried to wake you up about. Guess I'll wait and see.

Just tell them that the rope is for your boyfriend/husband...just say he really really likes rope, do it while looking all wide eyed and innocent. Then turn and wake away.

Did I mention that I have a warped sense of humor?

Other places for surveil/prep gear:

Brigade Quartermaster

Cabbalas

Dicks Sporting Goods

REI

...any military surplus store...

Being gray is about not calling attention to yourself, maintaining a low profile. Being the face in the crowd that no one remembers.

By the way, your still kool, just a different kind of kool.

Edited by vonBayern

Just found out that I am no longer cool now that I am into Surviving LOL!

well it is better to be alive/uncool than cool/ dead. Then again i have never been cool and tend to zig when everyone else zags. Self reliant people are content in their own skins and dont really need the ego strokes from others. Grandma and Grandpa never called it survival-ism. They just referred to it as putting back for hard times.

welcome from the uncool.

I don't talk about "prepping" to anyone but my gf and my forum family.

When I want to buy something I never go out and ask questions, I research online and read as many reviews as I can..and then I ask the kind folks here.

That way when I go to buy something I need I don't have to say a word.

I have been uncool for a long time..but I never cared about that.

Who needs friends when you have guns.

You guys crack me up!:)

Spent 13 hours today working on my bugbag. Have been taking all the advice I can and now have a couple of bags by my bed that would reflect well on what I have learned here. Tomorrow I head out to pick up tarp, order my knife, hmm I forget what else. LOL! I am so exhausted. Tenants downstairs asked me why I was running all over the place for so many hours.

I told them I was planning a camping trip soon. Living in damp, rainy Northwest I am sure they thought I was nuts. Plus they have never known me to camp.

ALso have to start wearing both the bags I created as they are so heavy that I can see me getting too tired.

I am going to push myself to get into shape so I can carry them. I dont get how one is expected to have all this gear and keep the weight down. Seems impossible.

When I have more money I will buy a more lightweight tent and lighter sleeping bag.

Tonight I made A TON of these little cotton puffs that I rolled in petroleum vaseline. I heard its a great fire starter.

IT REALLY WORKS! Each bag has one now.

Oh yes tomorrow I am heading out to buy a major first aid kit for the car and some high quality baton LED flashlights.

THeres a long list of stuff but enjoying this guilt free shopping.

This site has taken the place of my reading novels and watching tv. Its so damned interesting here LOL.

I already luff you guys!

easy on the first aid "kit" sherrie. you can build one often better and cheaper on your own.

yes the bags are heavy. dont be in such a hurry to buy things just yet. read a few of those books and

make yourself a list of potential buys. thing is, what is in my bag might be useless in your area, as whats in you bag

might be useless to say REG or somebody else on here. another way to lighten your load is to by things that have a duel

purpose. also go look at maxpedition bags.

http://www.maxpedition.com

they make great EDC's. (every day carry) very nice to have just incase. good for on bikes or footin it on a day hike through the woods too.

Great suggestions Rick. Sherrie, catfish hunter had a great BOB list that has the weights for each item as well. You can also check the shipping weights of the item for an "idea" on what the weight will be. If you buy everything you want and it turns into a pack to heavy to carry, then you lose time deciding what you must leave behind. That time can be the difference on getting out in time.

I am going to try really really hard to slow down but I feel this sense of urgency. I dont know if I am being paranoid but

I feel like time is running out. I wish I hadnt of wasted so much time watching tv or reading or gardening etc.

Spending time and money on this feels so productive.

Am finding that typically the sites I have been going to in the US dont ship to Canada.

Its okay though as I am finding that just going to the sites have been teaching me whats out there.

Thanks Regulator5. I will try to find where he posted that info.

Rick, the first aid kit for my bugbag is custom made by me. I spent last night doing that until 10pm. (True... I have no

life lol)

The first aid kit I will buy today is from Costco and it includes jumper cables and other things I should have in the car.

its 50.00 and had alot. Nice thing is I dont have to worry about size. It was a cool design. A little mini suitcase that open on each side.

I cant wait to look at that site RIck. I LOVE DealSargent. Just wish they Ship to Canada. CORRECTION! They do ship to Canada and I just placed an order

Edited by Sherrie
Corrected some info re shipping to Canada