Sign in to follow this  
Partsman

Storing Info for the Long Haul

Information is Life.....What you don't know can kill you. The problem is finding it, organizing it in a useful manner, and saving it in a form that is accessable. This is a large subject and I will only touch on a part of it that we sometines forget. How long will the info you have survive in the form you have it in? I came across an article in the December 2012 issue of Popular Mechanics on page 114 that is useful; it discusses the current types of storage and how long they should last. I would reccommend it as a starting place for any planned info dump you may be creating.

vonB,

Love the icon - cute kid and the goggles are a good touch!

I have tons of stuff on my Kindle and a way to recharge it from solar. That said, all the really necessary stuff is also on the shelf in book form. If you think EMP is a major threat, you need to protect a copy (SD cards are cheap, get several - remember, blessed are the pessimist for they hath made backups!) in some form of electrostatic shield or Faraday cage.

VonBayern you touch on a very real part of the problem....without a working reader of some sort and power.....you are stuck. That is why the 3 is 2 is 1 idea is so important. I remember reading one of the guys has two kindles and alternates using them and updates/sincs them each time he swaps them out. It is a good plan just need to add if not alread done so .... a way to power them up reguardless of the current situation. One of the reasons that good quality books or self made notes on acid free paper are important back ups for the long haul.

I have a notebook {not a computer} and a pencil you know the thing that looks like a bigger version of a stylus for a blackberry

it needs no batteries or software and you have to be able to write you know that thing you do with your strong hand back and forth,

{NO NOT THAT} writing printing on paper not the type you wipe with the thicker kind OK OK now you remember it's all coming back

now grip the pencil and press down not to hard or you'll break the lead {no it's not toxic it is not real lead it's charcoal or graphite

they just call it lead} now remember the alphabet aA -zZ and the numbers they are important too..

and remember feet have a ' single apostrophe and inches have a " quote sign after them yes that's it your getting it......

Now organizational skills each note book needs to have a different color you pick them and each should correspond to a topic like

cooking, planting first aid sex ed you kow things that interest you or you want to try to get it right sometime later on.

OK that's enough for now you all look a bit tired and confused but if you keep trying it will come back to you.

and it has a correction feature it's called an eraser it's that little pink thing on the end of the stylus, {NO not that that's your

pecker or your boob look at the stylus thingy} there ya go you turn it over to the pink thingy and rub the paper where

you screwed up and printed OMG when you print it it suppose to be full words not R U there, "it's are you there"

well it will come back to you maybe and dont hold the pencil like it's a stabbing instrument hold it like you picked up a

cat turd with a piece of tissue that's it there ya go well I have done all I can do just remember practice makes perfect

in your case maybe not so much LMAO...................

LMAO @ snake. Im very old school about storing info. I would rather have paper copies. I thought about a kindle but for me its not the same as holding a book
I know what you mean....but the idea of having more than one way of getting to the info I need is attractive as well.