Sign in to follow this  
Dr K30

Rossi trifecta

I got to play with one today that my son picked up for my grandsons Xmas present.

It is a youth gun, but I was kind of surprised, with both the .22 barrel and the 243 Winchester barrel it was pretty accurate, but it's so light with the 20 gauge barrel it had a bit too much kick for anyone under 10.

Looks to be a great weapon to get kids started with and I'm now looking for one to mod up and see what I can get it to do for me. The way it breaks down could be good little trail gun and at least at close range it's pretty much a tack driver just like it is.

On a side note, ain't adults terrible?? playing with a kids brand new Christmas present more than a month before Christmas. I somehow think we should be ashamed or something, but then there is the reality that we needed to check it out, make sure it worked right and was safe. Problem is now I am excited for Christmas morning and can't wait.

Yea I find Christmas a whole lot more exciting these days, it was fun when my son with little, but I was one of those who went way overboard and was exhausted by Xmas morning, with the dread of having to take all that stuff back down, pack it away and clean up the mess.

But the torch has been passed along with the majority of the decorations, and I get to focus on the fun stuff like gifts and cooking without the worry of cleaning anything. (I love to cook too)

So my son got him the gun, I'm getting him a scope (probably just a Weaver 4X to start with) and probably a case (5000 rounds) of .22lr ammo and maybe a box of the 243 along with a good cleaning kit. He is only 6 so he is a long ways away from being unsupervised with it, but he started 2 years ago with a good BB gun, last year he got a high end pellet gun and learned how to clean and cook a rabbit after he shot the first one (boys probably up to a dozen rabbits already) so he is ready to move up. Of course it's all strictly supervised and even the BB gun stays under lock and key. But he is probably more into it all than his father was and I didn't think that was possible.

One other thing I really like about this for a starter weapon, it's a single shot gun which will help reinforce what my grandfather drove home for me. 1 shot, 1 kill, no second chances so make sure that first one does the job or don't take it.

Now I just have to figure out what to get for my Granddaughter who will be 13 months at Xmas,,,,,,,,,,,,, Still trying to figure out if she will be a little lady or a tom boy, could go either way at this point.

The good thing about being a grandpa is I get to go to the kid's house for Christmas! They do the work and I get to be a bigger kid than anyone else.:D

Now I just have to figure out what to get for my Granddaughter who will be 13 months at Xmas,,,,,,,,,,,,, Still trying to figure out if she will be a little lady or a tom boy, could go either way at this point.

OK, get her something about horses! Soft and plushy is probably best plus a book daddy can read to her about horses. All girls LOVE horses; daddy gets to be "hop-a-long dork" and you get a good laugh. Then, whether she is lady or tom boy or both, it'll be right. I can say these things because I agreed to get my teenaged daughter a horse. I left on a business trip and came back the owner of a HERD! I had THREE horses to care for but they were HER horses. Yeah, right! Still it was a lot of fun.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I like the idea of a plus horse, have to see what she might already have along that line. And I agree it crosses that gap between a tom boy or a little lady. Great idea!!

Her mother is a horse nut, has 4 I believe and not one has seen a saddle in years. Just big expensive pets. I sold my horses to a dude ranch over a decade ago, costs way too much to take care of properly and no time to ride.

Now see, a buffalo hunt sounds like a grand time, especially if I can use my old Colt 45 (belonged to my great grandfather) and the Henry rifle I have been drooling over but never bought chambered for the old colt 45 ammo.

And I don't have to worry about the family, I'm happily divorced and loving it, all except the being too poor to afford trips like that. LoL

Dr K30,

would be cool. My weapon of choice is a Sharp's "Big .50" from the Shiloh folks up Big Timber, Montana way.:D Of course the .45 Colt would also be required for any close in needs.

Thinking back on the trifecta, you might consider something like http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod/20_Gauge_Reduced_Recoil_Shells or http://www.midwayusa.com/product/995610/fiocchi-exacta-low-recoil-ammunition-20-gauge-2-3-4-3-4-oz-7-1-2-shot-box-of-25 untill the young one is a tad older. It might help tame the recoil in the light gun.

Horses...... NOT A FAN been bit, bucked, crapped on, kicked, snotted & slobbered on, stepped on, stomped and think they are a good source of protein

beautiful yea ok I'll go along exciting to watch and ride no doubt but make no mistake they have killed a lot of people and injured a lot more.

Horses are exactly like people there are all kinds with all the phobias and drawbacks mental and otherwise as they age like people they can become

less tolerant.

the reason why cowboys wore guns was for self defense because it can double as a blackjack for your horse if anyone want to argue consider your wife or significant other you may try to mount them everyday but you do not always get the reaction you want and sometimes a fight breaks out.

so all those horse whisperers to whom always rode and never been throwed all I got to say is horse hockey................

to all those that defend animals using the old saying dumb animals I beg to differ animals are much more intelligent than man IMHO.

I have rode now and again and I enjoy it when I do but it is not my preferred mode of transportation, it is always a matter of necessity.

Horses...... NOT A FAN been bit, bucked, crapped on, kicked, snotted & slobbered on, stepped on, stomped and think they are a good source of protein

beautiful yea ok I'll go along exciting to watch and ride no doubt but make no mistake they have killed a lot of people and injured a lot more.

Horses are exactly like people there are all kinds with all the phobias and drawbacks mental and otherwise as they age like people they can become

less tolerant.

the reason why cowboys wore guns was for self defense because it can double as a blackjack for your horse if anyone want to argue consider your wife or significant other you may try to mount them everyday but you do not always get the reaction you want and sometimes a fight breaks out.

so all those horse whisperers to whom always rode and never been throwed all I got to say is horse hockey................

to all those that defend animals using the old saying dumb animals I beg to differ animals are much more intelligent than man IMHO.

I have rode now and again and I enjoy it when I do but it is not my preferred mode of transportation, it is always a matter of necessity.

I can't argue any of that, but I still like horses.

And I really agree with being thrown, like riding an ATV, there are those who have been over the handlebars, and those who haven't yet.

Back to Capt Bart, I like the thought of the light loads but my son and I seem to have decided it best to wait a bit before letting him use the shotgun barrel. In fact it is here in my closet until we decide he is ready for it. He isn't for from it, already wears a size 8, so it won't be long. And we probably will start him off with the low recoil loads when that time comes.

Than again, I can't wait to watch him eat a squirrel or rabbit after it was shot with a 20 gauge, he will learn real quick. LoL

(yea my grandfather did that to me)