Sign in to follow this  
Sherrie

Hello from Canada

Brand, brand, brand new to ALL of this. Still learning what Bug out means etc.

I am a flight attendant for a major airline and fly between Vancouver and Sydney Australia. Love

both places.

I have a gut feeling that its going to hit the fan very soon. Always had an interest in survival tactics.

As a woman I lean more towards the healing and nurturing arts. However, I may not have that luxury

and realize I may need to learn and have the know how of how to build a fire and make a lean to.

I am sure I sound stupid to most of you. I have no clue how to use any type of weapon or how to

defend myself. I just started reading all the pins related to survival on Pinterest and that is how I found my way to this site.

Thank you so much for making this site.

Am so overwhelmed. Don't know where to start as I want to know it all and its so interesting.

Is this site suitable for someone that lives in Canada or is there another site I should be going to.

Hugs

Sherrie

Edited by Sherrie

Welcome and there are a few Canadians here. As Jerry said, ask questions if you don't find what you're looking for.

If you are completely new, decide what the most likely emergency you will face and find a thread dedicated to that (there are several on here). Also look at threads dedicated to the 3 basic necessities, shelter, water and food with fire being part of shelter IMO.

Good luck and hope you find what your looking for and everyone here will do what they can to help.

Edited by Regulator5

hello sherri!

yes your in the BEST place on the web to learn about this stuff.

one of the best things about this site is we are blessed to have

some ex-military and current military as well on here. so a lot of the

survival needs have been used by these very folks, which speaks volumes

about the methods being used here. may i suggest 3 books to you?

1, SAS book.

2, back to basics,

3, mykel hawks special forces survival handbook.

oh if you seriously dont know heads from tails from any of this i'll suggest a "starter book" "when hell breaks loose", by cody lundin.

its a rather loooooong read and includes a lot of stuff that in my opinion ya dont need to know, but its there for your opinions and reading pleasure.

nobody here will ever thing you sound stupid here. we ALL have been where your standing right now on this subject. now what makes you more like us than you know

is you TOO have seen the light and your willing to do something about it. good for you! so ask all the questions you like. we will help you find the answers.

we have folks on all levels here and hopefull next week we will have more newbies and you will be 1 week ahead of them. 1 week is a great head start. :)

sherri,

welcome. I'll add another Cody Lundin book. 98.6 The Art ofKeeping Your Ass Alive!. It is available for the Kindle if that is your preference. I like it because it contains a lot of the "why" things are important.

As to silly questions, I suspect I've asked them all at one time or another so there is no reason to feel embarrassed. Enjoy the forum.

Thank you SO much. You guys are fabulous. I am going to methodically get the recommended books and take

all the advice on this page.

I have a bit of direction now thanks to you guys

Cant wait to get going on this.

So far I have acquired a solar, hand crank radio. A large container of water from Costco and I purchased 3 LED headlamps and lots of batteries. Last summer I built myself an outdoor BBQ for wood or coal plus I replaced one of my fireplaces with gas and one with wood burning. I feel I am on my way now.

HUGS

Sherrie

Great start Sherrie.

I suspect I don't need to say this but don't forget the food and water. Somewhere around here someone mentioned the "rule of 3" and that seems like a good idea to me. Start with 3 days worth of food and water, then go to 3 weeks, then 3 months, then 9 months (3 groups of 3 months) then work toward 2 to 3 years. Each step is doable and each step is a major improvement in survival chances.

Sherrie, what's stupid is having that bad feeling and ignoring it, or deciding to leave your fate up to someone else's decisions. Knowing your own strengths and weaknesses is a good thing and will help you evaluate what you need to do in order to feel like you're ready to face whatever may come. You already have some training on keeping your head in a crisis, so you have something to build on that will serve you well when TSHTF.

The folks here come from diverse backgrounds and are prepping for all sorts of scenarios in all sorts of ways, which makes this forum extremely valuable for information gathering. It's by far the best thing I've found online, and the people here are unfailingly helpful and ready to offer suggestions, which is amazing. However, if you want to find another resource that's a little more women-focused (but also more about food and water preps than others), you might want to check out The Survival Mom's blog at http://thesurvivalmom.com/.

One last tip: When you start learning about this stuff, it's completely overwhelming. You don't have to have every single possible prep in place immediately; instead, relish knowing that every gallon of water you sock away, every extra can of food you pick up, every skill you learn, is a success. Regulator5's recommendation that you pick the most likely scenario and prep for that is also a good one, since it gives you a way to focus your efforts effectively. And you'll find that your preps for one scenario will likely overlap with preps needed for other scenarios, so it will be a leg up on achieving a state of overall preparedness.

Sherrie, welcome aboard. There are a lot of intelligent people on the board and you have the opportunity to learn quickly. The fact that you joined here means you have your eyes wide open. You will be up to speed quickly. Welcome!

Welcome ..

Sherrie you already have a Bug out bag..The tote bag you carry for your job! everything is in there that you will need untill you get home..

So there is a start/common things,Daily use..

The others beat me to it "rule of 3" and the wise's thing I have learned.."One is None and 2 is one"..always have a small back up.

Now breath....its ok .lol the world is not ending today(wait I got to check out side) yep we be good.

have fun.

I can't say Thank you to you guys enough. Not only are you teaching me but I am teaching others already. I spent a whack of money today in an outdoor supply store and at book stores. Here are the books I bought for myself and as

xmas gifts and friendship gifts for people.

Hawkes Special Forces Survival Handbook, John Lofty Wiseman SAS Survival Handbook Ultimate Guide to Surviving Anywhere, Hawkes Green Beret Survival Manual , When All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin, The Complete SAS Survival Manual, and several copies of SAS Survival Guide How to survive in the Wild, on land or at sea.

Plus bought myself and friends a special bracelet (parafin?) it turns into a rope LOL! and got my female friends and myself

a very high pitched whistle, and some fire starting stuff ... you get the idea. I am so into this.

I asked at the outdoor supply store if they had a bugout bag and they took me to mosquito nets. They had never heard

of it. I think I will use my airline bag for now and try to get some essentials in there OR I might try in the US.

There may be a different term in Canada. They also hadnt heard of Aladin Lamp. Nor did they know of any support

groups for survivalists.

I was very surprised.

I have been checking out your Doctors site Doomandgloom and will continue to check out the sites you guys recommend

Looked at knives today but got overwhelmed.

Going to work on the 3 day survival rule... then 3 weeks, etc.

GREAT ADVICE!!!!!!!!

PS- The reason I am really getting into geAR is I have a feeling that with my travelling I am going to be in something

somewhere... I go between Australia and Vancouver mostly and a bit of Asia.

wow killer deal sherri! your do exactly what a newbie should do by reading different books on the subject, which brings in different ideas and also different points of view. good job! secondly your sharing your new found "hobby/life style with friends. (it is a life style choice in case you dont know it yet) and finally your taking action! all good things.

now, becareful and do research on products before you buy them. not everything is created equal. there are some junk products out there.

in hawks book he mentions stuff he carries on airplanes too. (which might interest you if i remember correctly) we pray that if your unlucky and into anything, its on your home turf, the place you know best.

ok knives........ there is a knife for all budgets out there sherri, its easy for a newbie to get whelmed as i still do lol.

i settled on a knife i carry everywhere just about, thats the S.O.G. Seal Pup. very affordable and can support you in many different situations. no 1 knife does it all ok, but the pup is my goto in many different situations. a solid pocket knife is in order too. i like the older kershaw ken onion blades. very nice and they keep an edge. there again quality and affordability. dont be suprised if many dont understand you new "lifestyle" when you go shopping. not everybody is in tune with actually taking a stand for their own survival ok. but we know you are or you wouldnt be on here and learning right? good! then again some things are called by different names in other places too like you stated.

i really hope you give us book reports as you go along reading your books. we get excited as a newbie learns a new way of life. it reminds us of our own struggles to grow and learn as newbies. thing is, ya never stop growing and ya learn new things and new ways almost every day if your looking for them. oh, and the struggles keep coming but they are a different level in most cases lol.

Sherri,

Becareful with the knifes. The laws of some of the Asian countrys can be very restrictive as to how large a knife you can carry...I know for a fact that Japan has some restrictions in place <don't ask how I found out>.

You may also want to look at some of the CRK knives as well. Best advice...pick them up and hold them, how does it feel? Too heavy? Too light? Too long? Not long enough? You get the idea.

Thanks Rick I will slow down. I read a post by Oregonchick where she recommended the AquaPail. Watched a video on it

and got excited. Tried ordering it from Amazon as they wont sell direct. Got all the way to the end of the order and they

said they couldnt ship to Canada. LOL! aww dear. I guess its one way of the universe slowing me down.

I created a couple systems to get water already on my property. I had a carpenter divert water from my roof gutters and

run the *forget the name of the pipes that water runs through* he ran the water run off pipes along my fence to the forest. Thought I could tap into that If need be. Also put an open gutter pipe around my verandah for water runoff and have it

dripping into a rain barrel. I am not sure if I could drink that or not or I might have to purify. THen I bought this cup purifying thing from Nasa and when I was in Japan I loaded up on chunks of charcoal. Charcoal is really cheap there and

apparently it cleans water. You just drop it into the container of water. I need to read up on that.

Rick, where would I buy an SOG Seal pup. Would something like that be in an outdoor store? I better wait until Dec

payday as I have gone a bit overboard lol. I had to really restrain myself today from buying an outdoor toilet. That is

definatley on my list. I have a week off at the end of the month and will get the supplies for the bugout bag together and hopefully will get my butt over to Korea next month so I can buy a good quality backpack. THeir prices rock over there.

Am hogging the space here. LOL

Big hugs

Sherri,

Becareful with the knifes. The laws of some of the Asian countrys can be very restrictive as to how large a knife you can carry...I know for a fact that Japan has some restrictions in place <don't ask how I found out>.

You may also want to look at some of the CRK knives as well. Best advice...pick them up and hold them, how does it feel? Too heavy? Too light? Too long? Not long enough? You get the idea.

DOH! You are so right!!! In fact, in one hotel in Japan behind the room service menu it had the list of dos and donts for the hotel. One of the items they mentioned were.... Swords were strictly forbidden. LOL!

I wont be able to travel with a knife on me as I go through screenings for each place I travel to. My bags arent checked in the belly of the aircraft like a passengers. I have to keep it on me therefore my bags are transparent to security screening. BUT on my home turf I do

plan on being prepared.

Think I will check out ricks advice on the SOG Seal Pup and am writing down your suggestion too of the CRK knives.

Hoping they have them all here in Canada

Thanks again

Thanks for that Rick, just watched the video.

The ceramic one seemed like the wisest choice. My goal is always to not have to rely on batteries or new filters and I love long term use of an item. If I understood correctly the only upkeep or maintenace with the ceramic is wiping the ceramic

cylinder.

That would probably be a good choice over the aquapail and good choice for travelling.

Am going to see if there are any water gurus on this site. I JUST KNOW there are LOL!

Hugs to you Rick

it was suggested to me by a long time member of this site and a avid hiker/camper here in GA.

they are expensive but well worth the money. most of those offer a repair kit as well. it would be

a good idea to have a repair kit on hand just incase. nothing like a broken "tool" when ya need it most.

Hehehe I would be SO annoyed if after all the planning and expense I had a broken down water system. Not going to happen LOL! I REFUSE!

Which brings me to... I was wondering today whether people that buy all this stuff do drills. Just pretend that the worst has happened and give themselves a time limit say... 15 min to gather their stuff (no cheating) when the timer goes off

they have to leave and live 3 days off the land and what they gathered. I think that would be a fantastic test.

That would force a person to learn how well each piece of their equipment works. How to get the tent up. (I own one but have never opened it or the sleeping bag and have no clue how to use the tent) and how well does all the stuff work and can you actually decipher the diagrams on how to tie a knot. (My downfall... the knot thing and I are not compatable.)

Hehehe I would be SO annoyed if after all the planning and expense I had a broken down water system. Not going to happen LOL! I REFUSE!

Which brings me to... I was wondering today whether people that buy all this stuff do drills. Just pretend that the worst has happened and give themselves a time limit say... 15 min to gather their stuff (no cheating) when the timer goes off

they have to leave and live 3 days off the land and what they gathered. I think that would be a fantastic test.

That would force a person to learn how well each piece of their equipment works. How to get the tent up. (I own one but have never opened it or the sleeping bag and have no clue how to use the tent) and how well does all the stuff work and can you actually decipher the diagrams on how to tie a knot. (My downfall... the knot thing and I are not compatable.)

oh yes thats a must as i just told ya in the PM to you. you have to practice this stuff. what the purpose of having all the tools if you cant use them properly.

it takes practice. it takes getting dirty. so in short YES!

I read a post by Oregonchick where she recommended the AquaPail. Watched a video on it

and got excited. Tried ordering it from Amazon as they wont sell direct. Got all the way to the end of the order and they

said they couldnt ship to Canada. LOL! aww dear.

What a pain! And while I like the AquaPail as a go-to for more immediate, emergency water situations (like if there's flooding or something), I do like that your water collection systems are set up for the long term. Obviously you'll want to add in more, but you'll find there are myriad ways to collect and purify water, so it's just a matter of figuring out what situation(s) you are likely to be in and making sure that you tailor your preps to suit.

Sounds like you're off to a great start overall. Keep it up! And definitely let us know if you find any great ideas for self-defense weapons that AREN'T a threat to airline security, because I'm sure any of us who travel would want to know what is possible. Good luck with your preps!

Welcome aboard Sherrie, good to know we have another Canadian member here. You mention about not being armed when travelling over seas, but truth be told is that you really are armed. If you carry house keys & pen, they can be used as weapons. When making a fist with a set of keys in your hands, make sure the keys are sticking out between your fingers. They can do damage when you punch an agressor. A pen can be used to stab. I own a Smith & Wesson tactial pen which i carry daily. Hope this helps.

The old cheap BIC 19 cent stick pens used to have a commercial where they showed it being shot out of a rifle penetrating a board and still being able to write.

Yeah yeah ,I know...they aren't 19 cents anymore...but I haven't used one of those in years.