Sign in to follow this  
andrewvk

hello from il

hey guys new here. been looking up prepping and survivalist items for a while and came across this site.

me and a friend really like prepping and everything that surrounds it.

cant wait to dive into this and get to know some people and get some good ideas and feedback.

andrew

doesn't look too bad for the price. if you don't have anything and have the money to spend I would say go ahead but I believe in spending money of items that will help you to sustain your living and not just putting money into too much consumables.

couple of quick questions if i may.

im looking

at this place for my food and starter bug out bag.

since i will be trying survive in any situation with a spouse i figured this kit would be a fantastic start.

http://www.myfoodstorage.com/survival-food-kits/deluxe-survival-kit.html

thoughts on this?

looks okay at first glance you could probably do it a hair cheaper on your own though...

doesn't look too bad for the price. if you don't have anything and have the money to spend I would say go ahead but I believe in spending money of items that will help you to sustain your living and not just putting money into too much consumables.

my thoughts exactly. i think it comes with a bit to much food and i can swap bags to all together save some weight. my ideal bag would be enough rations for 3 days for two people. everything else in the pack though im in love with.

survival knife, extra flashlight. ammunition. and im liking where i sit.

understood. well take the good with the bad then. 27lbs for a pack isnt bad when you have had to hump 60 before.

im going to order it over the next couple weeks and ill report back with whats inside. quality, ect. if anyone else has any good ideas or anywhere i should look id be all ears!

couple of quick questions if i may.

im looking

at this place for my food and starter bug out bag.

since i will be trying survive in any situation with a spouse i figured this kit would be a fantastic start.

http://www.myfoodstorage.com/survival-food-kits/deluxe-survival-kit.html

thoughts on this?

Andrew,

I've found these kits are often "too much and not enough". Rarely are they complete usually lacking condiments, salt, oils etc. Also, you need to store what you eat and eat what you store. If you have this massive store of food you've never tried you might find you don't like it, don't know how to prepare it or can't eat it. Six cases of Wolf Brand Chili is 36 cans of chili. Add some Tabasco and crackers and it is "normal" food that will last a couple of weeks at least. Add some Spam, canned ham, tuna, canned chicken, a couple of flats of soup and some more crackers and you have a lot of food for a while AND you will eat it! Date it when it goes in and eat the oldest first - you know what you have is fresh and you know how to fix it to your tastes.

A mix of bulk and store bought is optimum and you are less likely to find out after it is too late that you need cooking oil and don't have any. Bug out bags and E&E food is different (I actually do have some MRE's) but I don't intend to survive on a steady diet of dehydrated food.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Welcome to the site!

If you like the idea of having complete meals at your disposal for your food storage, I've come across a few "make your own MRE" ideas lately. You take items you can find in your grocery store (or buy by the case at Costco) and then vacuum seal them with all of the stuff you'd need to make them into a full meal - or simply bundle them in ZipLock bags. Here are some links:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-MREsa-tutorial/

http://selousscouts.blogspot.com/2008/04/home-made-mre.html

Another way to go about it is stockpiling when you have coupons:

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/01/my-best-couponing-tipfrom-former-coupon.html

Here are some great websites that give food storage tips and so forth:

http://saltnprepper.com/

http://www.yourownhomestore.com/

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2011/04/emergency-preparedness-and-everyday.html

Good luck with your preps! Hope we see lots of you here.

Welcome..

Im sure that you can take the list and purchase "Everything 'on it yourself..One size fits all does not work.JMO...

Choose the items that fit you and your Lady/try a couple of other supplyers for food choise.

http://beprepared.com/default.asp?&SID=GOOGLE&EID=GLB200703015&gclid=CKSVgeOa0rMCFQq0nQod-jgAmA

I purchased the bucket with the different meals...and got a nice bucket..

You choose what you like and shop around with your list!I know that with the coming shoping Holiday there are plenty of things you can pick from.Wally world has a 3 piece set of Mulit tools for only $16.00..Just as a starter..

Get back to us on what you desided.. have fun .

Andrew,

I've found these kits are often "too much and not enough". Rarely are they complete usually lacking condiments, salt, oils etc. Also, you need to store what you eat and eat what you store. If you have this massive store of food you've never tried you might find you don't like it, don't know how to prepare it or can't eat it. Six cases of Wolf Brand Chili is 36 cans of chili. Add some Tabasco and crackers and it is "normal" food that will last a couple of weeks at least. Add some Spam, canned ham, tuna, canned chicken, a couple of flats of soup and some more crackers and you have a lot of food for a while AND you will eat it! Date it when it goes in and eat the oldest first - you know what you have is fresh and you know how to fix it to your tastes.

A mix of bulk and store bought is optimum and you are less likely to find out after it is too late that you need cooking oil and don't have any. Bug out bags and E&E food is different (I actually do have some MRE's) but I don't intend to survive on a steady diet of dehydrated food.

Just my not so humble opinion.

i completely understand and agree. i would however at this point being brand new to the prepping concept, like to have "to much" and learn a little as i go on camping trips ect what i do need more and dont need. i feel like 7 days worth of food for two people isnt a lot of food but near the right amount. and i have no problem eating it and swapping it out for newer food as time passes. as well as picking up some small condiments in the future.

but i feel as me someone who as no experience at all with this, that its a semi good start or kit? is that something you concur with?

i do understand i need a good fixed blade, id like to add a small tarp, waterproof lighter, another flashlight, flint, handheld chainsaw(lol the survival chainsaw, just the chain) and some duct tape and small sewing kit.

and have my wife carry our clothes bag.

thoughts?

Edited by andrewvk

Your BOBs should each carry survival items, in case you get separated or one of the bags is lost or damaged. Even if you wind up carrying the majority of items for your seven-day expedition, your wife should at least have enough food and water to get her through a day or two on her own if some kind of additional worst-case scenario strikes, along with a survival blanket, something to make fire, a knife, or whatever would allow her to get by until you could catch up to her again (or until she could get help if something happened to you).

Andrew,

OC (oregonchick) is spot on. My bride and I each have our needs in our individual BOBs. The temptation to give our ladies a lighter load is a good thought but remember, if you disappear (for ANY reason - accident, unable to join because of BGs (bad guys), weather - ANYTHING) she is on her own and your socks won't help her eat (most likely).

If you want the start up kit and it is affordable and only a week or two, you are probably OK. I've seen kits for up to a year and I think that is a false sense of security. When I say too much, I mean the kits often include items to add bulk but which may not contribute much to your survival. If you have 50 lbs of whole grain but no mill to convert it to flour and don't know how to use wheat berries or the gastric upset switching to whole wheat can cause, you have too much wheat. You'd be better off with bread mixes for example.

You are responsible for your own survival so you have to make the best choices for you and your family. I've bought more than a few things that didn't work. Some seem like a good idea but didn't hold up well or simply didn't work as advertised. The key is to get them now, try them out and see what it takes for the items to work for you. It is perhaps unfortunate but it is true, you can't buy your survival. Money helps but if you don't use the things you get for your survival, whoever finds the stuff you didn't know how to use will appreciate it.

i completely understand and agree. i would however at this point being brand new to the prepping concept, like to have "to much" and learn a little as i go on camping trips ect what i do need more and dont need. i feel like 7 days worth of food for two people isnt a lot of food but near the right amount. and i have no problem eating it and swapping it out for newer food as time passes. as well as picking up some small condiments in the future.

but i feel as me someone who as no experience at all with this, that its a semi good start or kit? is that something you concur with?

i do understand i need a good fixed blade, id like to add a small tarp, waterproof lighter, another flashlight, flint, handheld chainsaw(lol the survival chainsaw, just the chain) and some duct tape and small sewing kit.

and have my wife carry our clothes bag.

thoughts?

Don't do it! Each bag should support the individual carrying it!! Our bags include, 7days of single serve Mountain House meals( they're very small and compact).

Also several 3000 calorie bars.

MSR EX mimiworks water filters, beats packing water "although it is possible to carry the camelbacks with the packs". Each also has a Jetboil stove to heat water

for the meals. They also contain, tube tents for shelter, winter excape bivys to wrap up in if needed, These things also are very lightweight and compact and functional.

Tactical flashlights are carried in these packs. I hate it but my pack is the only one with a solar charger for AA/AAA batteries amongst charging other things.

http://www.rei.com/product/832336/sol-escape-bivy

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/3-2802609?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=organic&gclid=COv9386d8rMCFQHonAod1k0AeQ

Welcome Andrew. Think compact, lightweight and functionality

dr