Sign in to follow this  
vonBayern

Goverment recomended 3 day kit.

Ok, most of us know that 3 days worth of supplies are crap. Katrina and Sandy should have rubbed everyone's noses in that sufficiently to get that point across.

So what's the general consensus on enough supplies for a short/intermediate event?

One week?

Two weeks?

Three weeks?

Curious to see what people think.

Personally for just the basics to cover for a hurricane or blizzard, to me a minimum of a month for food and water and other necesseties. On top of the hurricane, they get hit a week later with a blizzard which hampered recovery from the first event. The only bright side was that they already had several crews from out of the area there to deal with the first and should be able to help with the second.

For a bug in, I'd probably say 1 year minimum and then keep adding as you can with items that will not perish easily.

As for my "BOB", I carry very little in the way of prepared foods but have all the necessary tools to obtain food. I prefer a perpetual kit to a temporary and false sense of security. I do keep trail mix, jerky, chia seeds, and have started adding parched corn (or corn meal) to my kits. I can make a gruel from the corn meal and jerky if need be. It may not taste the greatest, but it will keep me alive to reach my safe zone site(s) and the weight is minimal.

Ill agree with Reg5 statements, about a Minimum of 1 month of stores. Not that i disagree with Wally's suggested 6months, but just as a basic bottom-line minimum, 1month is more practicle.

ANd 1week out of a BoB should be standard i think.

Oh I wasn't trying to disagree with Wally...lol... why I said minimum and everyone should probably say wally's is a better minimum truthfully like Navy said.

I won't give exacts as I'm not sure but I figure I can feed my family without growing, gathering, fishing, hunting or trapping for approximately 3 years right now. If I can double that, I'll be "happier" but probably will never be content.

I'm at two years and ,for me that's as far as I see taking it. Now it's about making sure I have the things I need to replenish.

As far as "shot term"...depends on how short... I make sure mom and dad have at least 1 month worth of suplies, so I guess 1 month.

Yeah. PB is my favorite snack. Just give me a jar and a spoon and I'm set. The price is freakin' crazy, but not nearly as bad as honey.

As for food/water preparedness I agree with what everyone else is saying. Just wish the crap was cheaper to stock up on. We got enough water to last us a long time but the food thing is something else. I'll have to scavenge/hunt after a short while.

I personally feel that 2-3 days in a Get-Home bag is a start, the key being water. I look at it as if there was a natural disaster and the commute home from work ended up being a walk or you ended up stuck waiting for traffic to clear, might be a day or two prior to getting home. As for home storage, I think that everyone prior to me has raised the great points, 1 month at least, 6 months to a year is better.

PB is awesome, but let's not forget the T.P.

My bride was at the Mormon Bishop's pantry the other day helping them make PB for the local food bank. Cheapest peanut butter in the world is the stuff you make yourself. If you know a member of the Church they will occasionally let a "normal" (their word of those not of their faith - ONLY people who have EVER accused me of being "NORMAL":rolleyes:) use their facilities for personal use. We have several cases of "Mormon" peanut butter that we made ourselves. Their history makes food prep a big deal for them; it is something we all could learn.

We just could NOT have a preper in the White House...just saying ..the dinners would have insulted the Guest.LMAO

Sorry

Yes a month to start/6 month with a seed bank and land...a year of food in a secure location..Jars!!Water seems to be the ALL around problem.I have noticed many that dont have a filter for at home or something that they can "Bug out with" that many can afford..Im looking at doing one berkley filter in a 4'' plastic pipe for a take along..

ok so get the basic and keep adding.. JMO

NavyVet_77 yeppers Vegemite not a food unless your Australian a learned taste no doubt.

when I first say the thread I thought 3 days? what would be in it a jug of water a band aid and a crying towel.

well it was brought to you by the same people that told you sheet plastic and tape would save you I always look at the source

years ago we had the CMP civilian marksmanship program to train home front men women and children to use rifles and defend

the home front and it was advertised, now we got a 3 day survival kit and has been mentioned by everyone it is a stupid idea.

This should give you some insight to the minds that are in charge of the lunatic asylum {some of the inmates are loose}

I always had the visual of ground up dead bugs when I tasted Vegemite in fact i thought i could feel the crunch of a june bug wing.