Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

your stashed cache.

i was just setting here playing my tele when the thought crossed my mind.

where would i stash a cache outside of my dwelling? should i even worry about it?

so i figured i would bring it to you guys and ask the question:

where do you have a cache and whats in it?

ok do keep in mind im NOT asking for exact locations here lol.

just looking for foods for thought in my own plans for a cache outside my dwelling, by hearing about some of you guys cache. anybody willing to tell the tale?

Stashed cache? I know not of what you speak, officer. Oh, wait, "Cache" is in the name of the forum. Busted.

I think we have all looked at those cache tubes where you can bury your booty in the wilds of your bug out location, but since my plan is to "bug-in", I have never used. If I was going to bug out any great distance, I might consider using a self-storage unit for that purpose. Might sound lame, but if you are using one anyway, couldn't hurt to stash a few things there as long as you abide by the rules of the storage company, of course. Food (canned, dehydrated), water, change of clothes, spare tire(s) (if biking), and perhaps some ammunition if permitted. Always want to follow the rules, and when I have used self storage before, I noticed firearms were prohibited, but ammunition was not.

As a rule of thumb, I would only cache something I would not mind never seeing again if SHTF, but which might be handy or useful to have. It would suck to plan your bug-out around stored supplies or equipment only to show up and find the place looted or burned to the ground. My two cents.

hey bill thank you for the reply.

im not sure i like the storge places as a cache for most things. i hear of people that buried 5gal buckets and the likes full of goods. this i might do. just odds/in's type stuff really.

food, fishing supplies, clothes maybe, some ammo, and so on. just looking for ideas at this point.

I would suggest you look at the purpose built vaults as something to consider unless you have the metalworking skill to build them yourself. Just burying a metal or plastic bucket leaves you with the very real chance that whatever you bury will be ruined in short order. Unless you live in the desert, moisture will get inside and then you have problems with mold, not to mention something burrowing into the container if not metal.

Another, cheaper, alternative is to use something like those 50 caliber metal ammo cans. They have seals that should hold for at least some period, and you can drop a dessicant in the can right before you seal it up.

As a rule of thumb, I would only cache something I would not mind never seeing again if SHTF, but which might be handy or useful to have. It would suck to plan your bug-out around stored supplies or equipment only to show up and find the place looted or burned to the ground. My two cents.

Since I plan to bug in, I'm not big into caches either. I'm looking at one for my proposed BOL but nothing yet. There are some decent videos/books on how to do it but I have several problems.

While caching guns to avoid confiscation might get you past TSHTF and into TEOTWAWKI, it might also get you arrested if you are caught. Hiding a gun is NOT securing a gun. I have a great deal of faith in the ability of kids to be where they are not supposed to be and to find what they are not supposed to find. BG wanna be's are everywhere and they would love to have your guns.

Supplies in a cache are not available in my normal bug in location. If I check them out periodically I risk giving away the site. If I don't, I can't count on them. Cached items can make your life easier. A properly sealed plastic bucket or two can hold a lot of items for quite a while and be useful in their own right. Of course, you can't depend on GPS to find the site. Snake is right hinting that you need landmarks that won't move are disappear but I'm not sure grave markers will stay put. Vandals are weird people and do crazy things.

My current choice is to spend my money on stuff I can check on. I'll invest in caching when all my other preps are complete and I can afford to loose the stuff I bury. My basic philosophy is simple:

Once you cache it, you no longer have it until you dig it up again.

Until then, you can't use it and whoever finds it first, owns it.

If your going to cache STUFF

used and inexpensive ROD, GAT, HEATER SMOKE WAGON and a light coat of synthetic grease then put in a few PAPER sacks and a few plastic sip bags if the grease seeps it wont make a mess but being

buried about a foot down it should be cool so as not to dribble

bullets wrapped in plastic bags

like 100, small bottle oil break free or rem oil rigid cleaning brush with bore brush tooth brush mini

multi tool

there are many hand guns like a Jennings or any other small caliber this is an emergency backup if you want to bury a field howitzer that will be in another post

and a cache BOB in another pipe.

my cache BOB has a large knife, map 2 emergency blankets head net bandanna shake lite mini

a couple of BIC lighters para cord and carabiners and a Swiss army knife mini and a knock off

muti tool and some "compressed towels" and a nylon sack and a stainless steel liter bottle and a

SS drinking cup a compass thermometer a zipper pull tab type and water treatment tabs,

magnesium fire starter

a small round fishing accessory hooks sinkers swivels looks like a hockey puck some leader line and

a spool of plastic coated leader and a small 125 yard of at least 10 pound test fishing line

and 10x 10 x 6 mil black plastic. long web strap belt with a quick release buckle when rolled up will fit

into tube.

they are hard to find but the chapstick size aspirin tylenol benadryl regular tube of antibiotic ointment and a pair of leather gloves and a full head ski mask

put into a 4 inch pvc pipe and glue the caps on make sure you press them down and twist the caps 1/2

turn to spread the glue and ensure proper glue joint hold them down as your compressing air and it will try to push the cap off hold for 1 minute

First the hook acc and fishing line spools snare wire in the bottom then all the small stuff that will go

into the stainless steel water bottle and the para cord too keep the emergency blanket and head net

in their bags slip them around the water bottle gloves small nylon sack

the medicine fire starter lighters etc. you will have to build it so its nice and tight a little space on top

other pvc tubes with datrex water pouches and datrex food bars jar freeze dried coffee sugar or honey

in a jar foil pack of gatoraid think calories hot caffeine and cool electrolyte enhancing drinks

the reasoning for stainless water bottle is to be able to boil water and not damage the bottle same with the cup.

gloves ski mask and emergency blankets it might be winter.

the plastic 6mil a tent a poncho water collection/ making, shade more uses than we can consider.

i have posted this before I look for shoe polish cans clean them and put in gulf wax it was used for

canning candle making and i fill the shoe polish can with the wax and put on top of the wax round

lamp wick close the lid and I have an emergency candle and can use more than 1 wick for heat or light

gulf wax comes in a brick and has 4 bars i think.

and remember

shoot low sheriff he's riding a Shetland!

I do plan on burying some items at a BOL or two, but I intend on sticking to the precious things...Some canned foods, bottled water, TP, baby wipes, instant coffee...stuff that runs out. I would also include some ammo of several kinds, even if for weapons that I do not own, because hey, we all know that if it's TEOTWAWKI you are likely to acquire some other weapons. Also I would include some first aid items, a map of the BOL, and some cold weather clothing since I am in a mountainous region. I'm sure I'll figure out more when I begin my cache process.

For storage I would likely use some kind of plastic storage container that seals, inside of another plastic storage container that seals. I will bury the items in an area where I would likely end up if I am forced to leave my residence, but I understand that that location may not be accessible for me, hence the leaving items there that would not hurt my chances of survival if never reached, just things that would be helpful if I happen to get to that area....the BOL is not set in stone. As a combat veteran, I understand completely that any situation can change at any moment.

yea ricksconneceted

after looking over wilf MANS reply my dingle berries are going to have leaves in them

speaking of that maybe we need to start a thread about what not to wipe with

poison ivy

poison sumac

poison oak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_plants

but any plant that you wipe with if it has toxins your third eye is very absorbent

and tender if yo don't believe me try eating a peach pit or using a bell pepper as a scraper.

OK it's zero hour your bobin' and weavin'

you got your plate carrier vest with plates and in your digital camouflage war face on

and you get that familiar gut pain from the black beans and rice MRE you ate its dark

and you don't want them zombies to spot a light cause they are like moths.

you have been careful your strapped no noise or loose gear got a web belt with

load bearing harness shingles strapped to both legs one for your rod and the other for

easy access to pistol mags & your BOB.

you could not find your boots so your having to wear your ex wife's knee high

hooker boots hopefully you got macho and used your machete to hack off the stiletto heels.

and a bowie knife strapped to each leg and a repelling rope bag on one side and knee pads.

AAAAAwww sheet your gonna have to get near naked to take a grunt well you lay down and after

5 minutes of shucking gear your eyes are watering and you know what being gut shot feels like.

NOW trying to stealthily deploy your load against a tree got your mil spec trenching tool saw blade

one edge and sharpened other your kustom race gun in the other hand an extra mag between

your fingers.

here is the moment of truth BLaaaattt sputrter splat plop plop BLAAAATtttttt its so bad even the crickets

go silent birds in the trees and hitting the ground like a canary's in a poison gas mine.

oh what a relief it is but in your Ecstasy your mind has wandered.

your brought back to reality by the waif of a dead body your spidey senses tingle as well as your legs

and arms you have been holding them in the ninja defense position just in case your jumped by a horde

of the undead but now you know your surrounded, but WHAT? maybe not and you realize its you......

now you get it together and go into stealth mode you look like a tiger in a liter box digging and burying

and you have a flash back of running through the house looking for last minute pickins OH NO

you forgot the arse wipe, prison stationary, skid roll, TP, three ply you know toilet paper.

now your in a critical position NO i don't mean on your hands and knees naked in the woods

{key deliverance music pig squeal in the background}

no you have only one way out because your at the top of the food chain that in the dark

you could inadvertently mingle some toxic leaf mater ...or a miscreant spider.....

So you let go of your kustom long slide and quietly deploy in the 90% angle your mil spec trenching

tool careful to avoid the sharpened and serrated sides easy, easy now carefully reach around and ever

so carefully avoiding the family jewels, gonads, cojones,man tonsils and using it like a squeegee

OK clean it off in the dirt your situation is still mission critical as your pod is now compromised

but at least you now have added a bio weapon to your long list of defensive weapons.

10 minutes later your in the wind and then you realize your kustom long slide you left it!

now back to the old bivouac and find your gat rod smoke wagon, and you do the scent has saved you

led you directly to your old haunt your BACK IN BLACK your BAD {smelling that is} and nation wide.

so with that in my mind it i think I need to get a custom digital union suit with the trap door and a

hand extension as its difficult to deploy the toilet paper wearing a plate carrier.

but in my lair I am inventing a fly sheet system like a race car drivers clear pull sheets on his face shield

the mind boggling problem that would even contort Michelangelo's and Eisenstein's minds

how many hole sizes as with aborting the don't ask don't tell or should I go with the stretchy version

one size fits all or custom sizing as then I can max profits selling to Military acquisition

maybe some measurement tools like shoe sizer with a chart for round or oval and a training center

maybe the will let me reopen a closed base to train the hundreds that would be needed

and we would get hazardous duty {dooty} pay hey I think this is a viable Idea

IMHO

and no I have not lost my mind it's just flexible.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I do plan on burying some items at a BOL or two, but I intend on sticking to the precious things...Some canned foods, bottled water, TP, baby wipes, instant coffee...stuff that runs out. I would also include some ammo of several kinds, even if for weapons that I do not own, because hey, we all know that if it's TEOTWAWKI you are likely to acquire some other weapons. Also I would include some first aid items, a map of the BOL, and some cold weather clothing since I am in a mountainous region. I'm sure I'll figure out more when I begin my cache process.

For storage I would likely use some kind of plastic storage container that seals, inside of another plastic storage container that seals. I will bury the items in an area where I would likely end up if I am forced to leave my residence, but I understand that that location may not be accessible for me, hence the leaving items there that would not hurt my chances of survival if never reached, just things that would be helpful if I happen to get to that area....the BOL is not set in stone. As a combat veteran, I understand completely that any situation can change at any moment.

Not a bad list, reminds me of the stuff the hero found in "Alas, Babylon". I wouldn't waste money or space on ammo I can't shoot. That is admittedly a bias on my part; I think trading ammo is a very, very bad idea. The guy you trade ammo with might decide to "sweeten" the deal once his empty gun is no longer empty. Also, the one thing I absolutely WOULD NOT DO is put a map of the BOL in that cache. If someone stumbles onto that cache, they also just stumbled on to your BOL. Do not leave a readable map to your BOL anywhere. Know where it is, but do not mark it on any map that MIGHT be seen by anyone else. The military uses clear overlays, the only thing on it is the item of interest and a couple of tick marks that will align it on your map. Since no terrain features or lat-long or grid squares are indicated, it could be almost anywhere. Otherwise, a map to the BOL is a map to failure to survive.

i agree capt. your BOL should be a place you know well in my opinion.

if you have a spot picked out and dont know the lay of the land your in trouble already.

i know my BOL well. my working on a couple backup BOL's and will get to know them too.

as far as trading ammo goes i would only trade it to folks i know of or at market should i stumble across

one. appearing/sounding needy is part of the plan here.

Everyones Cache will be different so I wont go into items they have been faily well covered as far as your vaults go I have found that surplus 120mm mortar round ammo cans available for between thirteen and 20 dollars are perfect for this purpose I see Snake and Capt Bart out there saying wait a minute your forgetting corrosion nope just haven't gotten there yet once they are packed and the lids are sealed they are airtight so before you seal them throw some silicate in, seal them than coat with rustoleum spray on bed liner make sure you get the cracks when you need to get into it simply run a knife around the edge and pop the hasps.

The problem is, not everyone has a bunch of land or a second location that they own, at least I don't. Caches work nice for that, though if any of you are familiar, there is an article online about this, more related to the gun side though. Guy stripped a Mini-14 down, coated it, put ammo, cleaning stuff, manuals, mags, etc in a tube and buried it where he hunted. Also not a bad idea, but as he mentioned, be sure to have multiple ways to find it again. They did a dead cut in that area, cleaning out all the old trees, which he had his stash under. He had GPS coord. so he found it and everything worked fine. Personally I plan to bug in and if the whole world ends, there will be plenty of houses in remote locations to take over. Pack up and head for the boonies. I don't forsee that happening, so I'm prepping for more of the natural disaster/mass riots scenario.

Of course, there is also the decoy cache. Only an idiot would bury his cache 5 feet down and then while filling it in, buy a cache with some inexpensive but decent stuff at 2 feet. The odds are good that once the first cache is found, folks stop digging. Of course that's extra work for you to bury and dig up. Still, it is another level of security and if you're pressed for time the shallow cache is decent stuff to grab and go.

Hmm a china knife, a box of 22 ammo some parachute cord and big lawn bags in a bucket is a decent decoy stash that should satisfy who ever finds in and would help you if regardless

Out of the way locations such as isolated areas state and Fed parks work well and give a concealed rest point also consider safe houses bury them in the back yard of a friend or relative or put up in the ceiling crawl spaces back away from the access and cover with insulation i have bug in bug out and multiple evacplans you never know what larry has up his sleave

I take a "don't have all your eggs in one basket" approach. A storage unit is great for off site security, but as mentioned, security, legal issues, and access in time of need can be questionable. Any thing of real value (ammo, weapons, $) i put in a safe in the storage unit and everything else in a canister wih desicant or cedar blocks or chips. I also have gear in a outbuilding on he property. I know some like to use a conex, but a conex draws attention from land and the air. No one thinks twice about a barn.

Plus, I try not to keep so much that if I had to GOOD that I would be leaving a whole lot of investment behind.

leaving a Cache for a family member thats making there way to you???

I have two grown daughters and after speaking to them (Dad dont worry,ahhhhh)they have someplace to go.One lives 6 hours away and has son in laws family farm to run to.Oldest is in Florida(my consern)but she married great.My daughters brothers in law are true Florida rednecks,God loves em,and her father in Law is a Great man,thats where they would run to.Near the swamp.So Im conserned about other family members,brother in Detroit,NOT a hunter,never even went camping.So considering everything what do you think???????

101Matt i hear you. Same situation but different distances. We have rally points set up. I use things like red white and blue to code name the point. Rally point red is first point known to all. white is second and blue is third. These code names can be communicated without divulging any intel. The plan spells out who and when will be at a rally point. There are things to do at each rally point in order to communicate that you have arrived at one and are on the move to the next. Each rally point has a cache for each party member. Some of my extended family thinks i'm a little off but at least i have a plan. I review this every year with the memebers that care to be a part this.

Here's one of mine. It's the only one I have any pictures of. The bucket is 6 US gallons.

I have it stashed up in the area I moose hunt in a camouflaged 30 gallon steel drum with a bolt-on lid. The drum is chained to a large spruce tree.

It's there for me just in case I get stranded for a few days.

It's been there for two years now and hasn't been messed with.

This is all extra stuff I had around that I don't miss. Well, except for the Jarvenpaa scout knife which I decided to keep and replaced with a Mora.

cache-5a.jpg

1) 5 Imp. gallon (6 US gal.) bucket

2) Lid

3) Maxpedition Merlin folding backpack

4) Canteen

5) Food (Backpacker's Pantry beef stew, Huevos Rancheros and Datrex emergency ration bars)

6) 2 Heavy 1 qt. ZipLock bags

7) Roll of TP

8) Waterproof plastic case shown with contents - which include: 1 mini Bic lighter, 2 boxes strike anywhere matches, 1 Swedish Firesteel, 6 waxed pressed sawdust firestarters & 1 trioxane tab.

9) Mylar space blanket

10) Aluminum mess kit, plastic cup and plastic spork

11) Cheap Winchester hatchet

12) Fishing kit in plastic box

13) 30 ft. 550 paracord

14) 8' X 10' tarp

15) Redi-Medic FAK

16) Eveready LED headlamp with lithium AAA batteries

17) 5" knife. (Replaced with a Mora after the picture was taken)

18) Small CS skinning knife

19) Magic Heat jellied alcohol (sterno) stove

20) 2 HD plastic bags (grocery bag sized)

There's also a roll of brass snare wire which is almost hidden by the tarp but if you look closely you can see it.

I switched out the stove in the first picture for a folding sterno stove.

The best thing about the folding stove is you can use sticks and twigs for fuel in the event you run out of sterno/alcohol and still have a place to set your pot/pan over the fire.

cache-3.jpg

As you can see there's room for more gear. I just tossed the contents in. With some judicious packing I gained even more room and added the folowing:

cache_040a.JPG

1) Clothes in a Sea to Summit waterproof compression sack which goes in the steel drum as there's no room for it in the bucket.

- Fleece cargo pants, hooded fleece sweatshirt, underwear, polypro longjohns and shirt, heavy merino wool socks, wool glove liners, wool watch cap.

2) More food. Backpacker's pantry omelet and Mt. House stew.

3) Folding stove.

4) GI style poncho.

5) Pill bottle - Tylenol, ibuprophen, coated aspirin, Benadryl, Immodium & Zantac 150.

6) 100 ft. 550 paracord.

7) Frontier survival straw.

8) Water purification tablets.

9) Gerber folding saw.

10) EZ Lap medium diamond hone.

11) Duct tape.

12) Wyst compressed towels.

I can't afford to stash a gun out in the bush but I added a box of .22LR as well as some loose assorted 12ga., .30-06, 30-30 & 7.62X39 scattered throughout the bucket. That should cover me for whatever firearm I might have with me.

I also added a 3 lb. coffee can with a bail handle for boiling water, a flare pen and flares, a small bar of soap liberated from a Ramada Inn, small bottle of hand sanitizer, instant coffee packets and iced tea packets to cover up the chemical taste of treated water.

This is the Merlin backpack from Maxpedition. Unfolded and folded.

cache-4.jpg