Sign in to follow this  
wardog513

first official World War Z trailer

Agree with your assessment that it doesn't seem to be following the book, but then I'm not sure how they would do that in a way that is immediate enough to be scary and engrossing for moviegoers. The book, after all, is written as a history AFTER the zombie wars have largely been fought and won, so they'd have to use a series of flashbacks or something for it to work. It could be awkward.

I am interested to see if they show how it spread through the porous borders along the mountains in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India, and how there's basically no way to quickly contain the outbreak. The passages about how the virus spread actually was one of the things that freaked me out enough to start prepping - not because I think there will be zombies, but because ANY pandemic could happen like that.

I'm also hopeful that they spend some time on the "solution" they came up with for America, which was based on plans by the white government of South Africa for how to handle a mass uprising during apartheid. Completely chilling, but also a good reminder that in a crisis, the government may wind up focusing more on the most effective way for the most people to survive instead of on individual people's survival. It's not even necessarily that people in authority won't care that you and your family are stranded and facing horrible death, it's simply a harsh reality that they may not be able to help everyone in need at the same time, and if you aren't able to fend for yourself and you aren't uniquely valuable to the world, you may be SOL.

And people dont seem to be bothered about Preping

"but also a good reminder that in a crisis, the government may wind up focusing more on the most effective way for the most people to survive instead of on individual people's survival. It's not even necessarily that people in authority won't care that you and your family are stranded and facing horrible death, it's simply a harsh reality that they may not be able to help everyone in need at the same time, and if you aren't able to fend for yourself and you aren't uniquely valuable to the world, you may be SOL. "

Realy,anyone think that the Goverment cares about anything but themselves are foolish..and can be dead in a week!!

JMO..

I wasn't saying that I assumed that the government would care about people, Matt. My point was that even IF there were individuals who were brimming with compassion, it isn't going to be enough to save you when hundreds, thousands, or millions of others are also in need of help. Governance and politics, in large part, are about finding ways to allocate resources, and in a crisis, that's exactly how the government will function. Practical reality is, unless there's something you know/do that literally nobody else on earth knows/does, you are going to have to be thought of as just a number. And if you're smart, you'll assume that your number is going to be among those who the government decides it cannot afford to help. Better to be pleasantly surprised than to be caught completely off guard!

Agree with your assessment that it doesn't seem to be following the book, but then I'm not sure how they would do that in a way that is immediate enough to be scary and engrossing for moviegoers. The book, after all, is written as a history AFTER the zombie wars have largely been fought and won, so they'd have to use a series of flashbacks or something for it to work. It could be awkward.

I am interested to see if they show how it spread through the porous borders along the mountains in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India, and how there's basically no way to quickly contain the outbreak. The passages about how the virus spread actually was one of the things that freaked me out enough to start prepping - not because I think there will be zombies, but because ANY pandemic could happen like that.

I'm also hopeful that they spend some time on the "solution" they came up with for America, which was based on plans by the white government of South Africa for how to handle a mass uprising during apartheid. Completely chilling, but also a good reminder that in a crisis, the government may wind up focusing more on the most effective way for the most people to survive instead of on individual people's survival. It's not even necessarily that people in authority won't care that you and your family are stranded and facing horrible death, it's simply a harsh reality that they may not be able to help everyone in need at the same time, and if you aren't able to fend for yourself and you aren't uniquely valuable to the world, you may be SOL.

exactly there is no way to cram that book into a 2 hour movie, it would had to have been a mini series or something for that to remotely work. and yes i do hope they put some of those elements into the movie. I at least hope to see the battle of yonkers and the first push out of the rockies when they perfected what the gurkhas tried and failed to do. i wont lie when i say I hope the chapter about the feral girl doesn't get made, i consider myself hardened to a lot of shit but they way they killed those kids to prevent them from getting eaten by zack sent chills down my spine.

OC, I think Matt was agreeing with you, just in a more blunt approach...lol.

*edit* You know how us hillbillies are, if it doesn't have a trigger or copper tubing, we can't speak eloquently.....lmao

Edited by Regulator5

*shudder* You're not kidding. That was truly horrifying, in a book where a LOT of grisly stuff occurred. Some of the other things that stood out were the young woman explaining how her parents took her north (as the government told them to do) and they wound up basically stranded in the cold with no resupply in sight, and how she remembered being near death from starvation and hearing her parents argue about the cost of survival if they had to trade what little they had for soup made from human flesh, and the soldier who was in a squad doing a complete sweep of a town and one of the members of his unit suddenly pointed out the house where he had lived before WWZ, went to "check it out" and then killed himself in his own old living room because he couldn't bear what the world had become. The psychology of survival is clearly not an easy thing.

*shudder* You're not kidding. That was truly horrifying, in a book where a LOT of grisly stuff occurred. Some of the other things that stood out were the young woman explaining how her parents took her north (as the government told them to do) and they wound up basically stranded in the cold with no resupply in sight, and how she remembered being near death from starvation and hearing her parents argue about the cost of survival if they had to trade what little they had for soup made from human flesh, and the soldier who was in a squad doing a complete sweep of a town and one of the members of his unit suddenly pointed out the house where he had lived before WWZ, went to "check it out" and then killed himself in his own old living room because he couldn't bear what the world had become. The psychology of survival is clearly not an easy thing.

brooks really hit it out of the ballpark with that book, he took romero's invention and perfected it which is good because romero damn near destroyed it.

The story really has potential, but it's so complex, I worry that no movie can do it justice. You're absolutely right - Brooks took something that was becoming its own parody and remade it into the true horror that it could be. World War Z kept me awake nights because it felt so real.

The story really has potential, but it's so complex, I worry that no movie can do it justice. You're absolutely right - Brooks took something that was becoming its own parody and remade it into the true horror that it could be. World War Z kept me awake nights because it felt so real.

yep. it may be fiction but i stepped up my preps because of that book.. i just realized i have read that book like 4 times now..it is just that good

yep. it may be fiction but i stepped up my preps because of that book.. i just realized i have read that book like 4 times now..it is just that good

It's like, what Stephen King's The Stand was to horror novels in general, World War Z is to the zombie novel genre. And it's one of the reasons I really started looking into prepping. The way the virus spread, it was easy to see how a particularly horrible virus (even one that didn't necessarily result in undead cannibals) could quickly become a worldwide crisis.

It's tempting to reassure yourself that the CDC would be able to get things under control, but this shows how something that is wholly new and moves faster than a normal epidemic could be nearly impossible to quarantine and basically derail our entire healthcare system and shut down our first responders. That would result in chaos, looting, and general mayhem for a short time at the very least. And once you start thinking in terms of the vulnerabilities of the very foundations of our modern life, it's hard to go back to believing that everything will always be under control. Even if the very best people put their very best efforts into it, even if there are no bureaucratic hang-ups and interdepartmental p!ssing contests and everyone works together with one goal in mind, it could still not be enough... and the odds of there being a perfect working environment like that for those in charge while TSHTF are pretty slim, too.

So yeah, for me, the terror of World War Z ---> Prepping.