Sign in to follow this  
jerry9491

Urban BOB

My BOB has evolved quite a bit since I first started; becoming a more efficient collection of tools and less weight.

One thing that I surely have NOT neglected is learning where to find, how to extract, filter, purify water.

2 different containers: 1 for collecting from a random source & filtering. Another container to boil and purify. Other prioities farther down the list may be lacking; although all bases are covered.

Not to mention additional offsite supplies etc.

If my wife and I were out on our own for some ungodly reason, we could live off our packs for a good while. THe main priority would be to find water and safety. Simply because its hard to carry so much water.

Edited by NavyVet_77

My biggest fear is I'm in a flood plain. I mean I'm on the high ground and there is levies so worst case I would only be knee deep but you cant drink flood water and boiling doesn't take out drywall particles and such.

Distillation. Water IS water and we have to have it. As you are well aware, it is the nasties that are in the water that will kill you. If you are bugging in (and it sounds like you might be forced into that scenario due to a surprise flood event) then having some way to actually have a working still could be very beneficial.

Jerry,

Tequila is very good but for survival purposes I suspect that the strongest vodka (think "ever clear") you can find would be better. It will cut down for drinking and is strong enough for medicinal or fire starting duties. I recall the scene from "The Quick and the Dead" (Louie L'Amour's version http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093811/) where the greenhorn is asked what he uses the booze that Sam Elliot has just drunk for and replies "to clean the rust off of my tools"! Really strong (over 150 proof) alcohol has many laudable uses.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Edited by Capt Bart

Ok guys, I don't think I take myself as seriously as you do....the point of my post was that even on a show aimed at the female gender, they bring up the subject of prepping and go as far as talking about having a BOB. They didn't disrespect the the preppers on the show, it was nice to see a mainstream show show prepping as normal.

Jerry,

Every SHTF event seems to bring more folks to the realization that "they" either will not or can no (actually I think can not is the truth) protect you from disaster. Even the government recognizes it now with the "3 days kit" stuff going around. That is woefully insufficient but it is a start.

Capt, I think they started pushing the 3 day kits not so much because they can't prevent a disaster, but to give them 3 days to get their forces in place before the super mobs start screaming their starving. I know it only took 8 hours or so with Sandy, but I believe that is the true purpose.

I actually had some get real upset and call me about everything but human because I made reference to having 30 days minimum on hand an alternate cooking/heating options on a yahoo article. They said it was impossible to have 30 extra days rations and no way to have an alternate cooking source in the city. Plus fema was in the day after the winds died down so there was no need to do anything.

I guess some of the population is doomed regardless of the sources to learn.

Autonomous, I can understand how scary that could be. We do get flooding here from time to time, and I know that it's just a stew of contaminants that you do NOT want in your system.

For one fast, easy method of treating water, I'm seriously tempted to get an AquaPail. The smallest size is still large (for a BOB) because it's a 1.25 gallon pail, but you can basically filter out ANYTHING that's in the water and start drinking within five minutes. Here's a link to the company's website, which has a video clip that explains just how thoroughly it filters water:

http://www.aquapail.com/

You can't buy them direct from the company, but you can buy them on Amazon. They aren't cheap, but wow are they simple and effective!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=aquapail&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aaquapail

If you realy need to DE Still WATER!

here is the link..Not that I know Kyle or anything..lol

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/collections/frontpage/products/1-gallon-moonshine-still-kit

Please if you do try this KIT /use pure silver soder!!!!!!

JMO..

This is what I use at home Now..

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Berkey-Replacement-Water-Filters/dp/B001C1NSE6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352888335&sr=8-2&keywords=berkey+water+filter

I bought 4 buckets from wally world..and drilled 2 holes in the bottom of a bucket and a lid/attached togeather ..bucket under the filters catches the water.once full I switch buckets,transport to a holding container or for use in daily drinking.. will post photos in morning.

oh I do strain my rain water through a towel first and i scrub my filters every week with a green scrachey pad,lightley..

JMO..and at 109 dollars pluss 4 dollars for buckets..I should get 6000 galons of water.

IF its REAL UGLY WATER..well strain it and boil it than filter.. it all depends what you have to deal with .

Edited by 101matt

Realy water..oops..well a Copper pot offer's better cooking than anything else! It is easyer to heat and can be easy to fixed if a Hole finds it way into it while transporting it..

and boiling water is the primary use!

REALY.. :rolleyes:

Now hang on... I really like the idea of the copper cooking pot being used for prepping water, that might take a bit of the suspicion off....

So getting back to topic, the question of bag choice would need to come up, I am sure that many of us have the various military inspired packs, (i.e. maxpedition, khaki, molle webbing straps, etc.) but for a strictly urban environment, to which the full sized rucksack might garner the wrong attention, what are everyone's thoughts on a less conspicuous urban bag? Like a laptop bag or shoulder sling?

That's a good question, wildfire. I know that for "around town" stuff, I use my old Lands End backpack, which I've had since I was 14. It's faded and not too impressive looking now, which suits me just fine - I don't want anyone to look twice at it! I can easily shrug one shoulder out of it and swing it around to access the contents while moving (a move perfected when I was using it as a bookbag in high school and college). It's water repellent, virtually indestructible, and holds a ton of stuff in three main compartments, plus there are a couple of small side compartments that can hold bottles of water, sunglasses, cell phones, etc. depending on what works for you.

Sadly, my backpack seems to be irreplaceable. They now cater to kids with these and have all these obnoxious patterns instead of solids. Plus I don't think that their stuff is made in America now (even if it used to be). Too bad!

Wildfire,

Like a laptop bag or shoulder sling?

For the real urban environment I'd think something like a gym bag might actually be best. I have a "get me to my truck" bag with a bigger BOB in the vehicle. The advantage of a fairly large gym bag is that it can hold quite a bit and while some "victim" might try to steal your computer for when the power comes back on, they are not nearly as likely to want your dirty gym socks.

It carries well, dumps easily if you absolutely must drop it and can even be used as an impromptu weapon. I have a day pack in the truck but I actually have my get to the truck kit in my computer bag. That after saying the gym bag was a good idea .... it's just that no one would ever think I spend any time in the gym!:rolleyes:

I keep a bag in the car. As I prefer not to stand out in the event of something happening, it's a plain brown backpack, very generic looking. My EDC is a green nylon Healthy Back Bag and I always have it with me. (It's gotten a bit heavy - probably time to take out the Matchbox cars and Play Doh again.) Granted, Fort Hood isn't far, so camo anything is pretty common, but I think an old woman decked out in camo could possibly warrant a second look. My neon-pink-roses-covered cane might stand out, too. Oh well.

Oh wow looking back that only took 1.5 post to get off the original topic. I think that's a new record.

Bart good info I hadn't thought of distilling to remove contaminants in a flood situation just the usual backpacking/camping methods which don't work for floods.

and to think ole tinder and Reg were not involved. B)

Autonomous, I can understand how scary that could be. We do get flooding here from time to time, and I know that it's just a stew of contaminants that you do NOT want in your system.

For one fast, easy method of treating water, I'm seriously tempted to get an AquaPail. The smallest size is still large (for a BOB) because it's a 1.25 gallon pail, but you can basically filter out ANYTHING that's in the water and start drinking within five minutes. Here's a link to the company's website, which has a video clip that explains just how thoroughly it filters water:

http://www.aquapail.com/

You can't buy them direct from the company, but you can buy them on Amazon. They aren't cheap, but wow are they simple and effective!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=aquapail&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aaquapail

Hi Oregonchick! Remember me? I signed up on the Survival Mom site for their emails. Thanks for that.

Also just tried ordering the Aquapail from Amazon. Got all the way through the order then they alerted me that they

cant send it to Canada. What a drag. I was so impressed with the video. Will see if I can find a way to get it.

THanks for that heads up.

Hi Oregonchick! Remember me? I signed up on the Survival Mom site for their emails. Thanks for that.

Also just tried ordering the Aquapail from Amazon. Got all the way through the order then they alerted me that they

cant send it to Canada. What a drag. I was so impressed with the video. Will see if I can find a way to get it.

THanks for that heads up.

sherri.

if i were in your situation, i would look for something a bit more portable. something you can put in your backpack when you travel.

water in a lot of other countries is already bad.

go look on youtube for reviews and survival channels/videos

Hi Rick ! *I am smiling*

You rock!

The Aqua Pail would be for at home.

I have a Nasau Cup contraption very small for travelling. Just in case I am in trouble. However, I need to find it.

I am slowly becoming aware of how unorganized and complacent I have been. The Nassau cup was at least 100.00 and I bought it years ago. If I really take stock I probably have accumulated more than I realized. I am going to get a grip

in the last week of this month during my holidays and find the cup and put it in my suitcase.

Today I also picked up some mini bibles for my suitcase and the bug out bag *when I create it*

Also realized today that I need to pick up a whole bunch of reading glasses.

Argh.... there is so much!!!

Not to mention stuff for my cat Bob.

Next year will need to buy a car. I wanted a mini cooper, 2nd hand of course but I would probably be wiser with a

sidekick because its a four wheel drive and economical. Only want to spend 7k at the most.

Always open to suggestions.

Hugs

Sherrie