Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Vive

Doomsday Preppers

Opinions on the show? I have always have it recording whenever it comes on. I like it, and learn a lot from it.

For instance, last night I was watching an episode, and someone had built a pretty big compound out of purely around 20? shipping containers stacked two high. They live there, and also have 9 bug out vehicles, and comprehensive bug out plans, and a team of people to survive/defend with, including ex marine and army. Their compound has an oasis in the middle, not visible from anywhere but inside the compound. Seems pretty legit, except for the fact that they let national television film their operation... They had something like 20 years of food for 11 people...

What do you think of the show? I personally enjoy it, but it seems to me that they pick the 'crazier' preppers to be on the show.

i hate reality TV of any kind but the one episode I saw made me roll my eyes. and you are correct they seem to pick the crazy ones who have stock in reynolds wrap. but that is what makes for good TV. real prepping is monotonous and boring to the mindless masses

Opinions on the show? I have always have it recording whenever it comes on. I like it, and learn a lot from it.

For instance, last night I was watching an episode, and someone had built a pretty big compound out of purely around 20? shipping containers stacked two high. They live there, and also have 9 bug out vehicles, and comprehensive bug out plans, and a team of people to survive/defend with, including ex marine and army. Their compound has an oasis in the middle, not visible from anywhere but inside the compound. Seems pretty legit, except for the fact that they let national television film their operation... They had something like 20 years of food for 11 people...

What do you think of the show? I personally enjoy it, but it seems to me that they pick the 'crazier' preppers to be on the show.

I agree, but maybe crazy preppers are the only ones who would want to be on TV lol

I catch every episode, but I liken it to watching COPS. I try to keep in mind that the situations are always the "extreme" and heavily edited. The folks on that show are the ones that are a bit out on the fringe, like Autonomous said- they pick a solar flare as opposed to getting snowed in. For the most part I put it above the Jersey Shore, its good for a laugh at times. Every once in a while there is a nugget of good information, surrounded by a lot of extreme stuff.

I would imagine that the majority of true "prepper" community would hold off on being on a national viewed TV show if for nothing else than OPSEC.

I watch Doomsday Preppers. Sure, I laugh a lot watching it but, if we cab take one good idea from the show, it’s worth watching. Usually one can get at least one good idea in the show. The largest negative concerning the show is that it makes preppers look like morons. Like the woman that said she would kill her cat and then put her fingers behind the cat’s head and said, “Right there.” Stupid and we all look moronic.

The show definitely highlights the whackjobs, crazies, and oddballs among the prepper community. I've seen several shows, and while they offer some interesting tidbits, a lot of what stands out is the random stuff people are stockpiling or worrying about instead of sticking to basics like food, water, and so forth. Among the worst that I've watched:

A woman who is clearly a germaphobe forcing her family to do a weekend-long mock decontamination and quarantine drill (prepping scenario: pandemic flu);

A guy in NYC who plans to bug-in with his family in their apartment, but can't store all the necessary supplies on-site and must hike for blocks to get to the storage facility (scenario: Yellowstone volcano); and

A couple of aging hippies who bought a missile silo, furnished it like an ashram, and are choosing their post-SHTF survival group at least in part focused on who enjoys being part of a drum circle (scenario: I can't remember now - probably economic collapse).

The "expert assessment" they provide is usually on-task, but it seems like few of the preppers on the show follow the advice given. The producers also make a point of saying that pretty much every scenario being prepped for is ridiculously unlikely to occur. It would be more helpful - and honest - if they pointed out that even if X scenario doesn't play out, having some preps could be vital for more-likely-to-occur events such as natural disasters, personal situations, terrorist attacks, short-term disruptions, etc.

OC,

Hearing that kind of response from your sister... It would have taken me a minute to comprehend the Naivety before continuing the conversation. Not questioning your use of words and tact, but how did the rest of that conversation go ?

Hearing that kind of response from your sister... It would have taken me a minute to comprehend the Naivety before continuing the conversation. Not questioning your use of words and tact, but how did the rest of that conversation go ?

Having been raised with her, and knowing she is literally the most stubborn person on the world, I do not give into temptation to try and change her mind, which will only cause her to tell me I'm crazy and/or just get very, very angry about being told something she doesn't want to hear.

Instead, we reach a "spider agreement," which is basically a continuation from the year we lived together after high school. That agreement was that things that she cannot/will not deal with (such as terrifying house spiders) fall under my purview, and when she benefits from it, she has to bake me cookies and/or take on additional housekeeping duties. LOL So yes, I do prep with her in mind, and I fully expect that if the SHTF, she'll show up and will have to basically handle a lot of the domestic tasks while I do other things.

Having been raised with her, and knowing she is literally the most stubborn person on the world, I do not give into temptation to try and change her mind, which will only cause her to tell me I'm crazy and/or just get very, very angry about being told something she doesn't want to hear.

Instead, we reach a "spider agreement," which is basically a continuation from the year we lived together after high school. That agreement was that things that she cannot/will not deal with (such as terrifying house spiders) fall under my purview, and when she benefits from it, she has to bake me cookies and/or take on additional housekeeping duties. LOL So yes, I do prep with her in mind, and I fully expect that if the SHTF, she'll show up and will have to basically handle a lot of the domestic tasks while I do other things.

...and endlessly bake cookies

The show definitely highlights the whackjobs, crazies, and oddballs among the prepper community. I've seen several shows, and while they offer some interesting tidbits, a lot of what stands out is the random stuff people are stockpiling or worrying about instead of sticking to basics like food, water, and so forth. Among the worst that I've watched:

A woman who is clearly a germaphobe forcing her family to do a weekend-long mock decontamination and quarantine drill (prepping scenario: pandemic flu);

A guy in NYC who plans to bug-in with his family in their apartment, but can't store all the necessary supplies on-site and must hike for blocks to get to the storage facility (scenario: Yellowstone volcano); and

A couple of aging hippies who bought a missile silo, furnished it like an ashram, and are choosing their post-SHTF survival group at least in part focused on who enjoys being part of a drum circle (scenario: I can't remember now - probably economic collapse).

The "expert assessment" they provide is usually on-task, but it seems like few of the preppers on the show follow the advice given. The producers also make a point of saying that pretty much every scenario being prepped for is ridiculously unlikely to occur. It would be more helpful - and honest - if they pointed out that even if X scenario doesn't play out, having some preps could be vital for more-likely-to-occur events such as natural disasters, personal situations, terrorist attacks, short-term disruptions, etc.

haha the one in bold.. what i love about them is they will have everything ready for the group with the guns to move right on in

This is pretty freaking awesome to say the least.

Not if their drum circles deflect the attackers first..

It's not going to be the drum circles that drive people away, it will be the reek of patchouli. LOL

Actually, I believe they did have some sort of defense in mind and had even sought assistance from someone who could train them on how to effectively use weapons. They were visibly uncomfortable talking about it, though.

This is pretty freaking awesome to say the least.

Yeah. Thankfully, my sister is an amazing cook and wows me all of the time with what she makes. I'm a decent cook - I can follow recipes and my food tastes just fine - but she loves cooking and it shows in what she makes. We often laugh at the contrast: I'm all about women kicking @ss and taking names, and she would enjoy being a 1950s-era housewife. Different strokes, I suppose!