Sign in to follow this  
GotTurbo

My Sandy Survival Story

Monday the day of the storm. I headed into work. I sell insurance for a living so it was going to be a busy day due to people calling about the approcahing storm. We closed the office early due to the storm coming so every one could go home.

On my way to my fiances apartment i stoped home and filled 2 gas cans and then dropped them off at home just in case. The area by her apartment is know to flood(howard beach, NY) so I parked my car 20 blocks away and walked to it with my bug in bag in tow. Once I go there she began to cook, we wacthed the news about the storm and we had some cocktales. Figured this storm would be like any other storm we experenced at her palce.( we survived Irene with no issues at all) Well were we wrong. At 6pm the water level started to rise. Once it was about 1 ft we went out side and just watched the water rise. We headed back in to relax, in about 1 hr the tide had risen about 2 feet. The street was now flooded and the 2 cars in the street had water at the door jam. Well the water kept coming and didnt stop.

The water level reached about 7 ft. the house across from us was a 2 story and the first floor was completely gone. Now as the water rising the power would flicker but always come back on. Once it hit 7ft in the street we decided to turn off the apt breaker, but we could not turn off the landlords who was on the first floor completely submerged.

Now with the lights out and the water still rising we sat and watched. Thinking if it kept coming would we have to try and leave the apartment. Well it didnt get high enough to floof her apartment, but due to the power still being on there was a burning smell. it took us about 5 mins to figure it out. The wiring under our hard wood floors were over heating and starting to smoke. The floors were getting hot. Now the first thought is we in a house, surrounded by 7 ft of water. Power lines are breaking and falling into the water and the house might also catch on fire. This tense 45 min ordeal evently came to an end when the transformer in the street finally gave out and power cut out. about 2 hrs after that happened the water finally receed. It took until 8 am the next morning for it to be low enough to walk out. We hiked to her brothers who is 5 blocks away. Only to find his basement had 7ft of water in it.

Looking back on the whole situation we were very lucky we or any of our family and friends were injured. Just made me realize you can prepare as much as you can, but life will allways thorugh in a curve ball. (house setting fire surrounded by water)

So scary! Glad it wasn't worse for you, and that you are able to look back on it already and feel like you learned something other than "wow, flooding is bad" or "storms can be frightening" which (unfortunately) is the most a lot of people will get out of Sandy. Hope things are back to normal for you all soon!

GT,

glad you made it. As far as I know, all of our folks made it out, thank God.

The problem with things like floods is that it makes it VERY difficult, if not impossible to have a Plan B. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but all the preps in the world don't help if your building burns down or washes away. Folks in storm and earthquake regions have to consider that.

The 'black swan' event (in your case a possible building fire) could have been fatal if you couldn't stay and couldn't leave either. The wild fires around Houston last year surprised me - we had one withing 10 miles or so of our house. Living where I do, I had never planed on it. I learned and I'm now set but it was an unpleasant surprise. For huge events like storms and earthquakes, you have to plan to lose your BOL and EVERYTHING it contains.

Wildfire is correct, by the way. Standard procedure along the Gulf Coast is to pull the plug at the box BEFORE the high water hits. Nothing like getting water up to the wall plugs and getting electrocuted trying to wade out of your house.

Thanks for sharing your experience, GT. Such stories help us all.

The landlord had left her apartment and all the panels were in her place. I only wish I was able to turn off the breakers.

The one nice thing that came out after this week is my brother in law said he wants to become a prepper.

The landlord had left her apartment and all the panels were in her place. I only wish I was able to turn off the breakers.

The one nice thing that came out after this week is my brother in law said he wants to become a prepper.

PROGRESS! Congratulations. That is a tough choice - break into the ladies apartment to shut off the power and face criminal charges or don't and risk a fire. I won't second guess your choice and you got through it but dang, that is not an easy one.