Sign in to follow this  
American Rogue

I have decided to begin saving ammunition, specifically 5.56 Nato. I'm puzzled as to what brand I should buy. I know that quality varies significantly between brands, and I would like your personal opinion on what brand of 5.56 Nato rounds I can store and depend on them to be ready when I need them. Any advice and opinions are greatly appreciated,

Thanks

I can only speak for what I use. It is UMC brand (which is Remington) and Lake City(Federal). Been stocking, shooting and reloading it for 20 years. It is reasonably priced and has never given me any problems. Comes in a plain brown box and is available in 1,000 round (loose) bulk. Cheaper Than Dirt has the big box for $499.79.

I am sure there are other good ammo deals I just don't have any experience with them. You know the old saying about not fixing what isn't broke. :rolleyes:

I try and stock up on as much Lake City brass as I can. Its typically a little heavier, thus thicker, than your typical commercial brass. Federal/American Eagle is alright but I don't get too many uses out of it compared to Lake City. So find yourself some Milspec M855. Cheaper than Dirt and Midway USA usually have M855/5.56 NATO/"Green Tip"/Military Ball, and they will typically say that it is Lake City brass. You can tell that it's from the Lake City Armory if there is a "L C" or a cross-hair on the head stamp.

I'm lucky in that there are folks that frequent the range I go to that go through hundreds of rounds of M855 surplus. Rude as it is to leave you firing point a mess, it means that I usually leave with more than 500 spent Lake City cases.

As long as your rifle likes it go for it, I hate foreign commie ammo for personal reasons but it shoots great if it is what your rifle likes and you do not reload

why buy expensive brass ammo or if you are not rich buy what you can as long as you can group with it to your satisfaction.

If your one of those tight ass rich pricks then buy only Lapua or look for no longer made caches of Hirtenburger {I have some, but I ain't rich}

People who want to deplete their bank account need to shoot antique big game cartridges like Kynoch brand about 10 bucks a round.

A guy I know custom built a 338 Lapua LMAO he spent more for that rifle than truck,over 100 bucks for precision dies a special press, custom bullets

OH and HE only could use Norma powder expensive at the time and some odd brand of primers.

Then he had to lease some land so he could have a long enough shooting range he spent money like it was water and funny thing he was getting his clock cleaned by a guy with a 375 H&H that smoked his toast I still think of that moron and laugh.

and looked like he gotten his ass kicked every time after he went to shoot it {the recoil was less than mild}

I don't shoot 5.56 but buy a small sample and see if your rifle likes it. If not, don't buy it. A lot of places do bulk loading at some decent savings PROVIDED, your shooter likes the ammo. Before buying a bulk load, try a box or two. If it works well, by in 300 round lots and you'll save cash.

Guys & Gals be sure to let your congressmen/women know your feelings on gun control ..... the more people who remind them that they will not be getting your vote next election if they are stupid .... the better chance we have of them doing something that will actually help keep weapons out of crazies hands.