Sign in to follow this  
jerry9491

Prepping on a budget-

LOL@jerry... they must have a class they take that we aren't supposed to know about.

Can you run a trapline? I can make out alright running mine for a little extra. It's a thought, plus builds skills that can be handy for a survival situation.

I can run a trapline, I think, but I have no traps other than gopher traps and some others I have used for woodchucks.

Jerry,

I am sorry to hear about the job loss, I understand - I've been there myself. I was laid off with zero notice at one point and my girlfriend-(now my wife) found ourselves along with our young son on an income cut in half. First I sold off some of the project's I had laying around the house (car parts, etc). After that we just really adjusted our budget items, (cutting cable, gym memberships, etc). After that we maximized our use of all our groceries by clipping coupons, shopping as the discount stores (grocery outlet, winco, wal-mart) to ensure we were getting as much as we could for the money.

Those steps in combination with canning, freezing and a whole lot of fishing for cheap meat, really helped us through. I hope all goes up-hill from here and you're in our thoughts and prayers. Best of luck.

Jerry, I hope your wife can find a good job again in a short time. My favorite saying is "If life was easy, anybody could do it."

Capt Bart, best of luck to your wife. I don't think I have much pull with the big guy but I will give a yank on the rope for your wife and Jerry's.

Sorry to hear you have to put up with your wife every day I would sue the company for cruel and unusual

incarceration / punishment IMHO

yea I have been trying to tell people to explain to plead to start prepping when I started bread locally was 47 cents

a loaf for the cheap bread now it is $1.08 in less than 4 years and there were no COLA raises and only a 3% one last year.

now that is a 100%+ increase and if your on a COLA based fixed income your KINDA SCREWED.

Hopefully she has unemployment and that lasts for a while have her look into schooling for another job a lot can be done

on line now.

But...But...I just read unemployment is down to 7.7 percent? Doesn't that mean the recovery is going strong? Seriously, guys, sorry to hear about the job disruptions, I've been there myself. We tightened the belts and I immediately went to work doing contract work until a position became available elsewhere, but it took 18 months of pounding the pavement and I found my new job quite by accident. Placement agencies, Careerbuilder, all that jazz didn't help near as much as just putting myself out there and the whole time I was thanking God that neither me nor my wife had any health problems at the time. I grew up without health insurance but losing that coverage (or paying the crazy COBRA amount, which we really could not do) gave me nightmares.

These are all some good suggestions and hopefully rotating your preps means you can keep your grocery bills down while picking up some ideas for actually using some of that food in real world recipes. Stay strong, folks.