Sign in to follow this  
jerry9491

Prepping on a budget-

Well the S has HTF in my house. My wife has been let go from her job after 11 years, so now new rules in our house: no money spent on anything but the necessary items. So my question - what can a family do to prep when they have no money to spend?

Well the S has HTF in my house. My wife has been let go from her job after 11 years, so now new rules in our house: no money spent on anything but the necessary items. So my question - what can a family do to prep when they have no money to spend?
learning skills that are free online or such...

Jerry, first know my prayers are with you and your family.

My best suggestion would be to try to take on some odd jobs when time allows, it started that way with me and turned into a full time job.

Prepping on a tight budget can be as simple as buying just a couple of extra canned items each week that you can add to your food cache, and buy in bulk when you can. I need to find the link again but I found D cell batteries in bulk at a great price and they aren't cheap ones, they are the Energizer Industrial batteries used by government and first responders. It may cost a bit more up front but the goal should be to get the best bang for your buck. And don't forget to shop garage sales, you can find great deals on just about anything.

I will post that link to the batteries when I find it again.

Jerry, so sorry to hear about your wife's employment situation. Hopefully something will come up soon to change around your financial picture. You will be in my thoughts!

That said, familiarize yourself with Craigslist and Freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org/). People give away a LOT of great stuff without costing you a penny - well, aside from gas money as you run over to pick it up. Prepping things I've seen given away on these sites:

• Sleeping bags, towels, wool blankets
  • Canning jars and lids
  • Lanterns, canteens, camp chairs
  • Vegetables and fruits from personal gardens
  • Plants (starters, clippings, sometimes even trees!)
  • Shelving and boxes for organization
  • Durable medical equipment (crutches, blood pressure cuffs, etc.)

You get the point. Sometimes people are just clearing out what they consider "junk" in their garages and it turns out to be something that has a practical purpose for you. There are also sometimes opportunities for barter/work in trade situations on Craigslist. Of course, there's a lot of stuff that is ACTUALLY junk offered on these sites, plus a ton of stuff for babies/toddlers (because they outgrow it so quickly). But it's worth it for the occasional great finds.

Speaking of clearing out junk... Depending on the state of your preps, this could also be a good time for reorganizing and possibly reprioritizing your preps, rather than continuing to acquire new stuff. What do you have a lot of? Even too much of? Could you sell/exchange it for something you are short of? It's also a good reason to go through your food preps and start using up older items, which you can then replace when they're on sale.

Good luck and best wishes for this to be just a brief little setback for you and your wife. Hope you find a way to keep your preps moving forward.

Jerry..Sorry about resent loss.

I started on a very low budget also..I have sold some 5 galon pails I got for free from the "China Restruant''The ones they get there oil in.

So take time and think out the box..

Take time with her NOW and work closer togeather..

..there are always food centers that give away food..and yes I have been in line myself..

And what O.C. SAID

We All will be praying!

Jerry

Sorry to hear bout your wifes employment. Many of us here can relate. Its definately tough times on all concerned.

Dont let it pull your attitude down brother. Keep your head high, Keep pushing forward. Keep your mind and Heart strong, and you'll make it through.

So sorry to hear about the job loss. I do feel your pain - was out of work for four years before starting back at a full-time job in August. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks Nana, we're trying to keep a positive outlook...my wife was joking around, she said now that she's going to be getting unemployment checks, she'll be part of the 47% that has to vote for Obama lol.

Shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun and rifles if chambered in the legal hunting pistol calibers like 357, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 35 Rem.

I normally just use my muzzloader and during the 15 day firearms season, I carry my Vaquero. During blackpowder season, I back my rifle up with a Kentucky pistol.

Just heard this evening some of the area counties are putting a bounty on feral hogs, time to stock my freezers. And this is South Texas, don't matter what you use to kill em!!

We have to get a tag for each deer taken (unless a landowner). We are lmited to the amout of deer by county. I have access to properties in several counties, not counting public hunting lands, so I can harvest 4 does in 1 county, 3 in another, 4 in the third, and so on, plus I have 2 archery tags, 1 buck tag and a muzzloader tag. The quota by county is for "bonus" anterless deer.

Plus farmers can apply for and get depredation tags and the special hunts on state parks, military reserves, etc.

Jerry,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. My wife works for a contractor so she has received her "WARN" notice. She may be unemployed after 1 Jan. It does make things tight. If you are where there are bounties for things like hogs, that might give you some money AND some bacon. Having been out of work a few times in my life, take advantage of this to simplify your life. Things that are a want have a way of becoming a 'need' for me so when I run into money shortages I know it is time to cull my desires back. I don't NEED cable for example. That is a surprising chunk of change. Getting rid of that lets me spend more time reading and being with my family. Your preps will help (this is a SHTF for you) but try to keep prepped for a physical SHTF if you can.

Your family is in my prayers.

Jerry,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. My wife works for a contractor so she has received her "WARN" notice. She may be unemployed after 1 Jan. It does make things tight. If you are where there are bounties for things like hogs, that might give you some money AND some bacon. Having been out of work a few times in my life, take advantage of this to simplify your life. Things that are a want have a way of becoming a 'need' for me so when I run into money shortages I know it is time to cull my desires back. I don't NEED cable for example. That is a surprising chunk of change. Getting rid of that lets me spend more time reading and being with my family. Your preps will help (this is a SHTF for you) but try to keep prepped for a physical SHTF if you can.

Your family is in my prayers.

Thank you sir, it is tough times for many of us, I'm just happy to be healthy and have good friends and family. As far as "culling my desires back" my wife has made me do that for years lol...

LOL@jerry... they must have a class they take that we aren't supposed to know about.

Can you run a trapline? I can make out alright running mine for a little extra. It's a thought, plus builds skills that can be handy for a survival situation.