Sign in to follow this  
jerry

Sandy debrief area?? As in what have you learned so far from this storm?

This storm was the final eye opener for my wife I think. Six days with no power and she stayed at the house the whole time. One flaw I saw in my preps was gas for the generator and def need more water. This was the longest outage we've been through so far. I think my wife understands the need for a firearm now too.

Reg, water in my area wasnt the issue this time. It was the wind blowing over all the pine trees around me knocking out the power lines. The flooding for me was worse last year with Irene. I was much better prepared this time so it was mostly inconvienence for me. Aside from some gutter damage and some dents on the hood of the wifes car no major damage and no one hurt. Like I said getting fuel was my main issue. And water. No running water. My generator isnt hooked into my panel box, we had the water bob in one bathtub for drinking and cooking and the other tub was filled for flushing. It is amazing how much water a family can go through. Its something I def have to work on.

I know that areas of NJ got absolutely devastated by the storm. I lost cable after mon night so until yesterday I hadnt even seen how bad some areas were hit. I try to tell the wife next time could be worse.

Shawn

I would highly advise one of two things on your Generator.

1, go find a "Diesel" generator, at least then you can slowly stock pile fuel as you can afford it and it will keep so long as you keep it in good containers, or better yet get a 250 gallon or better farm tank.

Or 2, get a propane conversion kit for the generator you already have, and get a large house type (at least 150 gallon) propane tank just for the generator. Most of these kits will still allow for gasoline operation if you needed to, but clean the carb and fuel tank and don't ever put gas in it till you have to. That way you don't have to worry about the carb getting varnished up from old gas. Plus with propane if your big tank runs out you could always go raid for the smaller tanks for RV's and BBQ pits to keep you going longer if needed.

Shop around for the propane conversion kit, they usually don't cost a whole lot. And find some used propane tanks, talk to the people in your area that deliver propane, you will find the right one very helpful. One of my propane tanks is a 300 gallon built in 1946, it's still a viable tank that meets the specs f(or this area anyway) and I only paid $100.00 for it. My other one is only 250 gallon and made in the 70's and a guy gave it to me after he converted his house to all electric.

I know that areas of NJ got absolutely devastated by the storm. I lost cable after mon night so until yesterday I hadnt even seen how bad some areas were hit. I try to tell the wife next time could be worse.

glad you and family are OK ..

Good oppertunity to Plan for the future!!

By this time after katrina, we were seeing press reports of wide scale looting, raping and pillaging. bodies left unattended in the streets, etc.

from what i have observed and what the press has reported things are nothing compared to what happened after katrina. why is that?

i also find the stamina and resilliance of most good americans faced with the terrible circumstances of this natural disaster. to be so far insperational. watch people Americans will come together and overcome and get through this.

how can the aftermath of these two events [katrina and sandy] be so different?

My post was in response to the above post by "FEDUP IN MASS.

Just seems like he has somthing to say but dosen't say it

By this time after katrina, we were seeing press reports of wide scale looting, raping and pillaging. bodies left unattended in the streets, etc.

from what i have observed and what the press has reported things are nothing compared to what happened after katrina. why is that?

i also find the stamina and resilliance of most good americans faced with the terrible circumstances of this natural disaster. to be so far insperational. watch people Americans will come together and overcome and get through this.

how can the aftermath of these two events [katrina and sandy] be so different?

I think the response by government has sucked. On the other hand I do not know why anyone would have expected anything other than what the people have gotten. This is why people should be prepared to take care of themselves.

I do not think that there is some difference in the response based on the skin color of the population or the region of the country.

I just don't get what it is that you are trying to convey in your post.

The lessons I learned from “Sandy”

Most gas or propane generators are not suitable for more than a couple weeks of continuous use. This observation is based on what folks in the neighborhood are experiencing.

Solar backup generators work great but I need to make more investment in additional panels, a permanent mounting system, and integration to the electrical panel. Cloudy days reduce the ability of the solar panels to recharge the batteries. Adding panels will assure a recharge even when there are multiple days of overcast.

Good lighting is extremely important to the mental well-being of those enduring the crisis, especially during fall/winter time when the daylight hours are short. Even though I have replaced the incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescents (60 to 15 watts) I can do better by using LED bulbs (10 watts). The LEDS also have a multiple year expected lifespan making them suitable for long term preps. Even severely depleted storage batteries are more than adequate to run lighting.

The Coleman-style propane lanterns work well but have two drawbacks. First, they should not be used for any extended period of time indoors. The only reason I could get away with it at all was because the interior of my dome provides a large open area. Second, the mantles wear out after several hours use so they are not suitable for the long term. Fortunately, I had spare mantles as part of my supplies.

Water is king. By immediately turning off the water supply valves to the toilets and preserving the use of the stored system water, we had a week’s use of pressure for washing hands, face, and brushing teeth. By using my manual water well pump the interior pressure tank could be replenished easily but pumping it up takes time. Adding a 100 gallon water reserve tank upstairs and plumbing it to the interior ¾” cold water pipe would go a long way to making flushing a toilet a much easier task. Adding a solar powered pump to replace the manual water well pump would allow the 100 gallon storage tank to be readily refilled. Having it indoors would avoid freezing problems.

I had installed hanging points for a five gallon solar shower bag in one of the showers we have. Using our wood stove it was easy to heat up sufficient water to fill the bag. However, filling it through a small opening, even with a funnel, was less than ideal. Once filled the bag provided 7 – 8 minutes of shower time, which was good for two people. However, I have doubts about the longevity of the plastic bag. I think converting a plastic five gallon bucket into a “shower bucket” would take care of the longevity issue and make filling it much easier.

Even though the winds had peak gusts of 90 MPH in our area, our “dome home” suffered no damage and was quiet inside. Our neighbors lost shingles and were worried about structural integrity.

Since we have been using a wood stove for heating the dome for more than 30 years, it was a non-event from a comfort standpoint. I should mention though that we have an interior wood storage room that holds a cord of wood. Neighbors who stored wood outside or on their porches had problems.

I enjoyed cooking on our propane stove and even baking in a propane oven. Unfortunately, I think it was a tactical error. My wife noticed.

Perhaps the biggest challenge was being mentally prepared. People in our area were starting to lose it. After three days even my wife was showing signs of stress and was sleeping poorly. We discussed it and she was physically comfortable but was having multimedia withdrawal issues. For example, she complained of it being too quiet. On the other hand, I camp in Canada for a week or more at a time. You can hear your heartbeat it is so quiet.

My wife was not alone. A neighbor was saying his wife was “shaking” from the lack of auditory and visual stimulation. Others reported the same problem. I addressed it with my wife by leaving a battery powered radio on for news and country music. I also hooked up her CD player to the generator and a small DVD player for nightly “shows”. By the way, “Despicable Me” was good, even a third time! This went a long way to comforting her.

But this does raise an important issue. People are so “connected “ nowadays I think this might bear more discussion. The psychological problems and stress induced by a crisis can be as real to people as a physical problem.

That is it for now.

This is a problem for Many!!!

"My wife was not alone. A neighbor was saying his wife was “shaking” from the lack of auditory and visual stimulation. Others reported the same problem. I addressed it with my wife by leaving a battery powered radio on for news and country music. I also hooked up her CD player to the generator and a small DVD player for nightly “shows”. By the way, “Despicable Me” was good, even a third time! This went a long way to comforting her.

But this does raise an important issue. People are so “connected “ nowadays I think this might bear more discussion. The psychological problems and stress induced by a crisis can be as real to people as a physical problem."

The constant IMPUT of NOISE and eye candy can be seen in children adults,the withdraw

seems to be connected with 'Anger"..

JMO

I am very Glad you and Family are OK..and yes a 5 galon bucket for the shower!Put a hose on it with a hand held Nozel...

Edited by 101matt

Most portable generators should only be used a few hours a day for refrigeration and cooking needs as well as watching the news on TV.

A generator that is designed for extended use like that is not cheep to buy or operate.

And I too am glad to hear you made it through ok. As for your wife having to deal with being unplugged, perhaps she will take that as a indication that a lifestyle change may be in order. I too had to learn to unplug some years back. I didn't realize how addicted I was to things like cell phones and computers, I decided to spend a couple months living in a little travel trailer out away from everything and no electricity, just propane for the fridge and cooking, spent my days hunting small game and cutting wood with an ax. About as unplugged as one can get. The first month I went to town for supplies once a week, that second month I may have left the place once for supplies and hated to do it. When I came home I didn't even talk to the neighbors for a week, I rather came to enjoy my solitude and hated to give it up, but that was all the time I could take off work and still have a job. Best vacation I ever took!!

Fact is I could unplug here tomorrow, but I enjoy watching movies (have a huge collection) and the large fridge is nice as well as the electric range. And lets not forget AIR CONDITIONING as I am in South Texas. But I am working on a design for a walk in cooler with a ammonia cooling unit that will be heated by hydrogen (instead of propane), and a hydrogen generation system to fuel it. Once I get that set up and working right I plan to expand it to run a hydrogen powered generator to give me power for other things like my big screen TV and I may be unplugged long before the power goes out.

Watched this tonight on NBC, I'm pretty sure at least part of what I went though was something like what they discuss here. Mine was more than just the internet though, at the time I had 2 cell phones, 3 land lines (one for the FAX) plus the internet and TV and all the other distractions of the 90's.

But I thought this was interesting and some might like to see it if you missed it.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rock-center/49754151/

http://theintelhub.com/2012/11/08/gas-pocalypse-sex-silver-and-gold/

I haven't double checked this as I don't spend any time on craigs list but this could be an eye opener and fits in to an article written some time ago a contributor on the SC main site.

http://survivalcache.com/shtf-women-sex/

it says bring your own mouth wash. classic.

The so called victims of Katrina were of a completely different class, they were dependent on welfare checks and food stamps as well as affordable or even government housing.

The victims of Sandy are middle to upper middle class who actually worked for what they had and didn't expect the government to support them.

Now some will read race into what I just said, but I didn't say that and I didn't imply that, but you can believe what you wish on that topic.

Katrina was a category five. In Birmingham, AL it hit us with category 1-2 winds and over 10 inches of rain in 12 hours. Not downplaying Sandy, but Katrina was the perfect storm with size and power.

Most portable generators should only be used a few hours a day for refrigeration and cooking needs as well as watching the news on TV.

A generator that is designed for extended use like that is not cheep to buy or operate.

And I too am glad to hear you made it through ok. As for your wife having to deal with being unplugged, perhaps she will take that as a indication that a lifestyle change may be in order. I too had to learn to unplug some years back. I didn't realize how addicted I was to things like cell phones and computers, I decided to spend a couple months living in a little travel trailer out away from everything and no electricity, just propane for the fridge and cooking, spent my days hunting small game and cutting wood with an ax. About as unplugged as one can get. The first month I went to town for supplies once a week, that second month I may have left the place once for supplies and hated to do it. When I came home I didn't even talk to the neighbors for a week, I rather came to enjoy my solitude and hated to give it up, but that was all the time I could take off work and still have a job. Best vacation I ever took!!

Fact is I could unplug here tomorrow, but I enjoy watching movies (have a huge collection) and the large fridge is nice as well as the electric range. And lets not forget AIR CONDITIONING as I am in South Texas. But I am working on a design for a walk in cooler with a ammonia cooling unit that will be heated by hydrogen (instead of propane), and a hydrogen generation system to fuel it. Once I get that set up and working right I plan to expand it to run a hydrogen powered generator to give me power for other things like my big screen TV and I may be unplugged long before the power goes out.

Very good suggestions...Please start a post on your hydrogen experiments. As far as generators think RV spec or commercial welder/generator as they have the ability to run for hours. Upgrade with synthetic lubes and look into improving their ability to cool themselves.

Trust your government "they are only here to help"

there are only a half dozen bases near by but we did not see any water tankers come to the rescue did you?

there are hospital ships in a couple of foreign countries but not here they care more about Haiti than you.

I did not learn anything I did not already know we are supplying people in the middle east and Africa with food and water wells and doctors but hey

your just cannon fodder if Korea, Viet Nam, and all the rest did not give you a clue your not seeing the BIG picture.

for all that died for this country they got FOREIGNERS waiting to fill your shoes and if you want to abort your child the government will pay for it as well as

prevent you from having one. People better wake up or there will be no natural born Americans left.

We fight and die for others peoples real estate and for a promise of a new democracy that never comes they give billions for oil that was found and

drilled with our men and equipment remember ARAMCO companies started by Americans are now multinational {not ours anymore} headed by foreigners

without concern for us.

We are running head long towards disaster and don't even bother to look up.