Sign in to follow this  
jerry

Sandy debrief area?? As in what have you learned so far from this storm?

I am off of work for a week so I am able to watch alot of the news. So far I have learned that my obsession with drinking water is founded on facts. AND: I have found out that alot of folks up there are obsessed with their charging of their cell phones vrs drinking water. I guess it is a generational thing. One thing most of them could use besides water is a crank flashlight with charger built in huh? (Solar is limited in the city due to tall bldgs and cloud cover hurts).

Maybe this debrief from some of you all will help more of us prepare.

High praises to the folks who arent waiting for the Government there.

Hoboken N.J. seems to have alot of citizens who take it in thier own hands to start cleaning the streets and sidewalks.

Edited by jerry

From what I seen and read in news reports, make sure you have a means of transportaion besides public. They aren't sure (last time I seen anything on it) when they will have the subway up and running and 5M more bus/cab riders is going to make for looong commutes.

I also haven't seen any reports on the septic systems. That much water coming in and filling everything up with sand and water, the sewer systems had to back up and create some bio hazards for the clean up. Having disposable suits, rubber boots and gloves to wear for clean up would make sense.

A small Zodiac with a jet prop was already on my wish list and would be useful in that type of situation, however being this rural and on high ground I wouldn't be that compelled to get into flood water. But even a small inflatable with paddles would be better than wading through flood water.

And getting a Ham radio is much higher on my list than it was before Sandy.

Just my 2 cents worth.

And I'm with Jerry, my hats off to those taking charge f their own lives.

As for looting, that's the non-preppers way of dealing with things, go steal a 65 inch flat screen TV in the middle of a hurricane and carry it home over your head while wading through waist deep flood waters. Make a hell of a lot of sense, at least to the ones doing it. LoL

Now will be the time that it really sinks in to those in the cities. They have a yahoo article about food supplies running out now that it has been 3 days. The biggest issue.... the ones interviewed said they PREPARED according to what the gov't said, "3 days of food" and now they are expecting everything to be back to normal. Plus, being sheople, they didn't figure what kind of food to buy. Reporters are saying that the ones still in the effected areas are grilling frozen pizzas because they have no stove/microwave.

It's truly sad logic, common sense and problem solving aren't taught in schools. They also said they do NOT know when potable water will be available at the tap because emergency planners didn't think of preparing the city's drinking water supply. Of course the media isn't the most truthful entity out there and the story will probably have several edits over time to make them look smarter.... so take everything with a grain of salt.

I think the worst of humanity is getting ready to come out in some areas up there. Just saw a report that power is still 2-3 weeks away for some. I hope and pray that it all stays civil. Meanwhile I continue to learn and prep.

By this time after katrina, we were seeing press reports of wide scale looting, raping and pillaging. bodies left unattended in the streets, etc.

from what i have observed and what the press has reported things are nothing compared to what happened after katrina. why is that?

i also find the stamina and resilliance of most good americans faced with the terrible circumstances of this natural disaster. to be so far insperational. watch people Americans will come together and overcome and get through this.

how can the aftermath of these two events [katrina and sandy] be so different?

By this time after katrina, we were seeing press reports of wide scale looting, raping and pillaging. bodies left unattended in the streets, etc.

from what i have observed and what the press has reported things are nothing compared to what happened after katrina. why is that?

i also find the stamina and resilliance of most good americans faced with the terrible circumstances of this natural disaster. to be so far insperational. watch people Americans will come together and overcome and get through this.

how can the aftermath of these two events [katrina and sandy] be so different?

The so called victims of Katrina were of a completely different class, they were dependent on welfare checks and food stamps as well as affordable or even government housing.

The victims of Sandy are middle to upper middle class who actually worked for what they had and didn't expect the government to support them.

Now some will read race into what I just said, but I didn't say that and I didn't imply that, but you can believe what you wish on that topic.

Well said Dr K30. Plus the local gov't actually did some proactive work instead of just reactive and crying because they weren't getting all the help they felt they were entitled to.

Also, from some of the reports I have read, the ones who were trying to loot were using social media to set up times, meets, etc and the authorities were able to be ahead of the curve. Have to love it when the criminals make their plans so public.

There's another reason we're not hearing about the bad things happening though fellas..

I talked to a buddy in New Jersey today and the press isn't reporting a LOT of stuff.

It would embarrass somebody who has a lot to lose next week.

I'd bet a months pay that we'd be hearing about everything if it was another party.

Actually tonight on NBC, Brian Williams and his counter parts did a much better job than I have seen on any of the media on showing some of the real people and telling their stories. Still, by no means is that even close to the WHOLE story, but at least they are starting to dig a little deeper than just showing lower Manhattan being in the dark and the board walk and multi million dollar homes along the coast in Jersey.

Yea, ok, so I actually watched something on the news tonight besides the damn weather forecast!! :P

More reports are coming out! Wait and see,after the LOOSER is gone everyone will abadon the sinking ship!!

You cant blame the people who stayed,unprepared,waiting for the Goverment to HELP..

Can you?

JMO..

Yes Matt, yes I can blame them. The more time the government spends serving these people and picking up the dead, the longer it will take to start the rebuilding process. These people are nothing less than in the way and I personally (even though I feel for them) would leave them to the consequences of their own actions or inaction. I expect NOTHING from the government, and that's exactly what I expect to get.

If that makes me a cold, heartless bastard then so be it. Man didn't evolve because of government, government evolved only as a result of the evolution of man. If you can't survive without government help, perhaps that evolution's way of telling you to go the way of the dinosaurs.

DrK..I was being a smart ass..lol

"If that makes me a cold, heartless bastard then so be it. Man didn't evolve because of government, government evolved only as a result of the evolution of man. If you can't survive without government help, perhaps that evolution's way of telling you to go the way of the dinosaurs. "

Yep being RESPOBSIBLE ...Screw up,learn by your mistakes,move on...teach somebody else!

I know some by now probably think I am too harsh, but I'm also one of those conflicted people.

I do not believe greatly in modern medicine, the more they do to save or extend lives (thus defying nature) the more over populated the planet becomes.

On the same token though, I am a pro lifer. Life starts at conception by my beliefs (of course your entitled to your own beliefs), so I see abortion is nothing more than murder.

I also believe being caught stealing from me is suicide despite what a jury said!!

The book of Ecclesiastes pretty much says it all.

For everything there is a season,

a time for every activity under heaven.

A time to be born and a time to die.

A time to plant and a time to harvest.

A time to kill and a time to heal.

A time to tear down and a time to build up.

A time to cry and a time to laugh.

A time to grieve and a time to dance.

A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.

A time to embrace and a time to turn away.

A time to search and a time to quit searching.

A time to keep and a time to throw away.

A time to tear and a time to mend.

A time to be quiet and a time to speak.

A time to love and a time to hate.

A time for war and a time for peace.

And I also believe God gave us ALL the ability to survive, to think for ourselves. We were not designed to be sheep following the heard but many choose that path and are often lead to slaughter. The choices we make today will have an effect on the outcome of tomorrow, but keep in mind the outcome for you tomorrow will be the direct result of the choices you made yesterday. You can choose to be self reliant and prepare for tomorrow, or you can stand crying in front of a TV camera throwing a pity party because you don't have any help.

All I am saying is make your choice today, and live with it when tomorrow gets here. The day is coming that only those who best prepared will survive. There are those who hope it never does, and that's ok, but hope won't fill your belly, it won't bring you drinking water, and it won't get you to higher ground when the water is rising. But most of all, hope won't cleanse this over populated planet, only nature can, and it will in her own time.

Having said all that, are YOU really ready??

BTW picked up 2 more Coleman stoves and another lantern today for $15.00, God I love garage sales!!

Sorry going to throw a little Adult humor in here WARNING CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE: Sandy the way it should have been

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1556[/ATTACH]

LMAO If only, it would have been a beautiful thing and the best part it would have been disturbing to the rest of the world LOL and we sure as heck wouldn't have terrorist offering to help us out of Islamic duty because of our "humanitarian disaster" I would like to see a disaster hit an actual gods honest Prepper community and see how much aid is needed in comparison. just ran across this headline from yahoo news NEW YORK (Reuters) - On a narrow spit of land in Jamaica Bay, Queens, one resident erected a wooden sign in front of an open garage: "Looters will be crucified - God help you."

Edited by warrior7r