Sign in to follow this  
Fittest

Solar panel info

Part of your choice for which solar panel to choose is the warranty: Choose panels with a 10-year or greater warranty. I went with Kyocera, which has a 25-year warranty; it is AMAZING how tough they are (don't ask me how I know:p).

This place has some excellent deals; they claim they have the world's lowest prices.

http://www.sunelec.com/

I looked into making my own solar cells, but it is too much work. There are U-Tube videos with directions showing how to do it if you are interested.

If the panels do not have diodes you will need to add those, at night solar panels run in reverse and drain the batteries.

Apologies if any of this has been previously posted, as we all know the search function is broken.

Sometimes I forget about Amazon! They resale solar cells, and even have kits so you can make your own panels, which I did not know existed. Type "solar cells" or "solar cells diy" in the search box. I am not recommending buying anything, it is just smart to know what is available, and the kits help you know what you need to build your own panels should the need ever arise. If I ever find cheap cheap cheap solar cells I'll try building a custom panel to conform to a strange shape area I have that usually gets good light.

Ummm...I'd debated about posting this, and figured what the hell...

Once SHTF and all is chaos. You may still find yourself in need of solar panels, or replacement parts.

Places to look <and I know because I've seen them there, and you probably have too>:

Secondary roads. You can find them attached to various road signs.

Railroads. I've seen them at various places along rail road tracks.

These locations will probably have a control board as well as batteries.

Disclaimer:

I am not saying that you should rush right out and get some now. Or even latter after SHTF. I'm sure that they serve a useful function even if I don't know what it is.

But in a survival situation its a good thing to know.

So here's something I've been wondering...and am really too lazy to research, how sturdy are solar panels. I mean, I assume that they'd have to be strong enough to withstand a pretty good hailstorm, otherwise you'd have to replace them multiple times a year in most locales. In Ohio, we aren't really prone to a ton of bad weather, mostly snow, ice, rain, and hail. Southern Ohio gets the occasional tornado, but the panels would be the least of my worries in that instance. I just wonder about upkeep on the panels and the battery bank. There's only so much you can keep on hand. Though if you run something like solar with a wind backup, you'd be set. Could pretty much go completely off grid. I know a guy in Az. that went completely off with solar power for about $15k. Think I need to talk to him about it.

So here's something I've been wondering...and am really too lazy to research, how sturdy are solar panels. I mean, I assume that they'd have to be strong enough to withstand a pretty good hailstorm, otherwise you'd have to replace them multiple times a year in most locales. In Ohio, we aren't really prone to a ton of bad weather, mostly snow, ice, rain, and hail. Southern Ohio gets the occasional tornado, but the panels would be the least of my worries in that instance. I just wonder about upkeep on the panels and the battery bank. There's only so much you can keep on hand. Though if you run something like solar with a wind backup, you'd be set. Could pretty much go completely off grid. I know a guy in Az. that went completely off with solar power for about $15k. Think I need to talk to him about it.

Jon, I can tell you that we have 90 full-size panels at my office. They sit out in the open on top of a hill. The hurricane came through and tore off a piece of the rear of my building but didn't faze the panels at all. They are all rated for hail up to quarter-size. So I am thinking that they are pretty sturdy.