Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

2 way radio's

im looking for quality 2 way's but dont want to break the bank.

of course range is very important as well as size and battery life.

anybody have any good suggestions on what/where i should look for these?

i have some from 10yrs ago but boy have they changed over the yrs. i also have a good quality hand held marine radio too.

Ricksconnected,

A question like this needs some clarification. Are you a ham? Would you be willing to become one. Are you interested in CB? Over how much distance? Places like Sam's club has some GMRS type stuff that is fairly inexpensive. Alinco makes good ham gear at relatively good prices. Short distances are cheaper than longer. There are Chinese makers out there if you are willing to buy Chinese. Don't know anything about their quality.

Please expand on your needs and we'll try to make some recommendations. I fear I'm not really up to speed on CB gear, but I have opinions.

capt bart

thank you for your reply. yes i guess i better expand a little.

ok what im looking for is 2 handheld radios. my g.friend and i often get split up

(by choice) on our outings and we need a way besides cell phones to communicate.

sometimes we will be several miles apart.

i think radios like this should be in ones BOB. you never know when they might be

needed. im willing to bet that they will come in real dang handy if/when SHTF.

for an outdoors couple like the g.friend and i we NEED them.

we have some now but they are older. the newer ones are way smaller and the options

and range of the new stuff is way better than the ones we currently have.

please explain GMRS capt.

ive often thought about Ham radio but i dont know if im ready for the expense of it all

at the moment.

Ricksconnected,

OK, sorry for the mumbo-jumbo. GMRS = General Mobil Radio Service and FRS = Family Radio Service. Check out

http://www.gmrs.org/

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

https://www.google.com/search?q=gmrs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=gmrs&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kis&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=vbbLTs6oLc6lsAK3krDiDg&ved=0CHMQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f673dbabb919628d&biw=1387&bih=649

GMRS is a little more powerful than FRS with more channels. To be legal you need a license (more of a registration for the radios, no tests) like you do/did with the CB radios in the begging. There is no license needed for the CBs because Americans simply ignored the requirement and the FCC gave in rather than enforce in the face of overwhelming numbers.

GMRS is UHF (Ultra High Frequency) radio. That means line of sight. The ranges listed are nice but they apply only in the imagination of the manufacturers. They are listed at 20-30 miles count on no more than 10 to 15 in favorable terrain. That given, if you need a solid 1 to 3 miles in most terrain, they should work. Keeping them full time in the BOB may not be a good idea, battery life is a big issue with these. Keeping them fully charged will probably mean either chargers in the car or in home charging often. I don't know the real battery life since mine live in their chargers on the desk. I use them for use setting up antennas, work in the attic and such. Wife on hers downstairs, me in the attic kind of thing. If you get a set with hands free headsets you might find that useful. Just remember, a hill between you and her and no comm.

Ham and CB handhelds have more range. Channel usage may be a problem, or not, depending on how busy the area is.

matt and capt,

thank you both for your replies. i do expect the listed range to be off a bit, maybe even by half.

kirsten and i are often a part on our adventures. i'll be fishing while she and the beagle are off exploring.

so good quality radios are a must.

capt, some radios like my marine radio is chargable and battery powered depending on what ya want at the time.

ricksconnected,

Rechargeable are good but so is an adapter that allows the use of AA batteries. Maximize your options.

my marine has rechargable pack and a normal battery pk to allow for this. thats a must feature

when i go 2 way shopping. i just need to go to a spot that has a good selection of these.

there is a bass pro very close to me. maybe i should go check them out there and see what i see.

Remember that any "line of sight" transmission is improved with the height of the antenna. Even the good old CB, with the right antenna, properly tuned, and located in the right elevation, using a single side band channel can transmit a very, very long way. (More so with a set of boots or power booster. Totally illegal, and can blow out your radio if you don't know what you are doing.) Plus skip transmissions, while not dependable, I have listened to and talked back and forth with folks half way around the world. (Skip is where the line of sight signal is reflected off a layer of the atmosphere and reflected back to earth. It fades in and out with the changes in the ion layers and radiation. We are just coming into the best time for skip. It cycles in a 11 year cycle based on the solar storm cycles.

NavyJim,

Welcome, sir, and thanks for the posts. CB can get skip because of its frequency. It is very near the ham 10 meter band, HF, and so gets skip when the sun breaths just right. I was talking to South Africa on 10 meters this afternoon on about 30 watts so it is a GOOD frequency when the sun cooperates.

GMRS is UHF. That will NEVER skip minus an air burst from a thermonuclear device. Then you still don't get skip so much as something called "backscatter" (different mode, not worth discussing here).

You are correct about height however. If you each go to the top of a hill you get more range. These things can 'bend' around hills and buildings and such but that takes special training to set up deliberately. Army taught me but it is not a skill I've had much need for.