Sign in to follow this  
ZM1995

Help for students

Hey yall just a little background to this thread I am a senior in high school and for as long as I have had the prepping mentality I have been trying to find a way to be able to survive in the time it takes me to get from my school to my house so if anyone has any tips on school safe ghb's or survival tactics I would greatly appreciate any help.

1) Learn the hot spots in your town/city by getting to know the police....they plot every call-out and you may be able to get a copy of their map of your town/city. (if you have to express your interest as a school project after all you are trying to learn as much as possible right) (A related thought .... if they offer a ride along program or citizen training program it would be good additional education for you)

2) Now that you have some info plot several routes between your school and home.

3) Consider a ghb consisting of things you decide you would need to make it from school to home and keep it in your locker.

4) Travel each route you have worked up to see if changes need to be made.

5) Remember risk .... it is better to go out of your way than to walk or ride into the middle of a problem. The ideal is to make it home....not how fast you can get there.

Since most schools seem to have banned lighters or matches these days, carry a magnifying glass for firestarting and learn how to make a bow drill and hand drill for fires.

Good point Reg! I hadn't thought about that aspect.

Not like when I was in school. We were allowed to carry our lockblades as long as they were under a 3 1/2" blade. I was only asked to not carry my balisong any more, but it was a 4" blade. I always had a 22 rifle and normally a 12 gauge behind the seat and several hundred rounds of ammo.

Of course, we still said the Pledge and had a moment of silence also.

I'd suggest a military poncho, actually 2, and some twine. Paracord may be considered too "militant" but the coated twine like they use on farms wouldn't be. Have 50' and the ponchos make a good shelter. It's all about perception, especially with our sub standard education system. A poncho is just rain gear but a tarp may be thought "weird". Just little things on remaining "grey" and still have the tools to do the job.

A plastic "credit card" ( would use something else) can be sharpened using emory cloth and has a good edge for carrying a tool for cutting without a knife. There are so many tricks and tips that it would be a book format...lol. Always look at everything, especially when restricted like at school, and try and think of every use you can have for that item.

I won't post everything in an open forum. I might have already posted too much.

The only problem i can see about getting home is I would have to walk along two different interstates just to get to my house but Im gonna try and find some topo maps for different routes when I come home this weekend. And the problem with finding just the hotspots is my whole town is pretty much a hot spot no matter where you go in my town theirs always going to be somebody looking for something to steal. I really wish schools would be more lenient on students carrying knives up until two days ago i still carried a knife to school but a fellow student in my graduating class had gotten expelled just for having a 3 inch long knife and a can of snuff.

What you can't carry, you can bury. A couple feet of pvc drain pipe is waterproof and will cost you less than $10 to turn into a buriable cache tube. Put a knife, matches, and other "contraband" in them and bury them them someplace nearby.

Worried about how to bury them in plain sight? You can ask to plant a tree for Earth Day or Arbor Day or some other PC/community service reason. With a little creativity you could probably con the entire student body into digging your cache sites under the cover of an explanation the PC school administration will wholeheartedly embrace.

Edited by azatty

We won't discuss the effectiveness, or lack thereof, about them banning a tool in school. Another thing to remember, people will travel the interstate system, even on foot, because that's what they are used to doing.

And because many arent wilderness type people. Many walk the interstate still simply because it is also a clear cut path and Naive about being grey.

An interstate often is not the straightest or the shortest path from A to B. It just doesnt have any stop lights.

Like myself. If you feel the need to walk the interstate or any other major state road, itd be handy to have yourself a pair o fence cutters.

Edited by NavyVet_77

The only problem i can see about getting home is I would have to walk along two different interstates just to get to my house but Im gonna try and find some topo maps for different routes when I come home this weekend. And the problem with finding just the hotspots is my whole town is pretty much a hot spot no matter where you go in my town theirs always going to be somebody looking for something to steal. I really wish schools would be more lenient on students carrying knives up until two days ago i still carried a knife to school but a fellow student in my graduating class had gotten expelled just for having a 3 inch long knife and a can of snuff.

Topos are great. Look for a maps that have Forest service roads as well as hiking trails. If you look hard enough you will find them. I have maps that can get me 200 miles and only cross major interstates once or twice. Remember that if you cross the interstate highways you are very vulnerable. Look for bridges that cross streams or other natural objects. Always walk the routes you find. You can gleam a lot of information this way. When time comes and you need to E&E you will pick up on changes to the route and possible danger points.

ZM, never discount a need to cross the interstate just because your house and school are on the same side. Have a route planned (or several) that also goes the "non logical" way. If things go south, it could all be on your side of the interstate and thus making it safer to cross and E&E on the opposite side.

I know it sounds overbearing but just never paint yourself into a corner, always have options for even the most unlikely. I personally have found it's easier to adapt a plan than have no plan at all.

Another map to look at is the Atlas/Gazetteer by DeLorme. This is in book form like a regular road atlas but adds topo and usually shows most dwellings and other man made structures.

And because many arent wilderness type people. Many walk the interstate still simply because it is also a clear cut path and Naive about being grey.

An interstate often is not the straightest or the shortest path from A to B. It just doesnt have any stop lights.

Like myself. If you feel the need to walk the interstate or any other major state road, itd be handy to have yourself a pair o fence cutters.

I would even advise carrying cable/bolt cutters, if in a vehicle, to be able to eliminate the cable barriers they are putting up everywhere. I like being able to get out of the "cattle chute" if things go bad.

ZM, never discount a need to cross the interstate just because your house and school are on the same side. Have a route planned (or several) that also goes the "non logical" way. If things go south, it could all be on your side of the interstate and thus making it safer to cross and E&E on the opposite side.

I know it sounds overbearing but just never paint yourself into a corner, always have options for even the most unlikely. I personally have found it's easier to adapt a plan than have no plan at all.

Another map to look at is the Atlas/Gazetteer by DeLorme. This is in book form like a regular road atlas but adds topo and usually shows most dwellings and other man made structures.

Very true

You just dont know what obsticles will be in your path on your way home. Or maybe you are being followed... you cant lead them to your home and supplies... it may be neccessary to practice some evasion. But think out of the box a bit, your path doesnt have to include roads. Think storm drains and trees over fences too. like maybe u can climb well and the other guy cant. Climb that tree to jump the fence instead of cutting through it, forcing him to stop and think about his persuit. Just prepare your routes for some 'what ifs'

Also check out 'right of way' routes. The clear areas around power line and pipe line right of ways might be the best and fastest way home after TSHTF. The problem is you can't dry run the route (legal problems with trespassing) but an aviation sectional map will have the power lines and railroad tracks clearly marked so that you could do some route planning. You can get them at most general aviation airports or online from places like Sporties http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop?utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ps-+pilot+shop&gclid=CP6086u6obMCFQHonAodlg4A_w

Alot of my route planning has been using google maps satellite view compared against a "All Outdoors Atlas and Field Guide" by 'Sportsman's Connection' http://www.sportsmansconnection.com/ These map guides contain SOO much detail, and coords and elevation.

Google maps satellite, its only updated like twice a year. But fences dont usually move. Zoom in close and you can see all the shadows from fences and power lines for a detailed escape route.

Edited by NavyVet_77

very good point on the interstate subject and fence cutters and I feel sorry for anybody who follows me to my house for they will quickly realize what a bad idea it was to follow me when I start flinging hot lead through the air.

Better to identify multiple hide locations on your routes and hunker down to let them pass, then continue on an alternate route. For many reasons, shooting is a last resort in an escape/evade situation. Not the least of which are (1) you immediately identify yourself as a threat, (2) you give away your position and possibly the direction of travel, and (3) you pick a fight against a potentially superior force.

The few hours after an event is when you are most likely to have to get home from school. Short of nuclear warfare or Red Dawn, people won't know how bad the situation is, and most will respond with the typical minimum of effort--hit the supermarket for some groceries and get some propane for their grill. Although it probably won't be pleasant, very few (if any) people are going to be stalking you. Thus, it isn't likely that you'd have to discourage pursuit. If someone does come after you, you need to assess the situation before using the boom stick. Hence the hide locations.

The only problem with the hide sites is if they are any good at tracking or stalking they will know where Im hiding at and I was more reffering to the fact that if they were following me to my house they probably had a good reason and I doubt that once they know where I live their going to show their true colors whether it may be hostile or friendly the second they come near my property their will be a gun sighted on them until I know their intentions.

Sorry for any confusion on my intentions I waas tired after a long weekend and I should have been more clear in my writing but I both understand and agree with the points you have made and I will definetly keep them in mind when the situation presents itself.

ZM, I agree with azatty and Auto, they made very valid points. If you follow OPSEC, people shouldn't know you have stuff and being a high schooler, you shouldn't be on anyone's radar for stalking (unless you're the local drug lord and then they will want their fix(es)... to make a point).

Do you walk under normal conditions or ride the bus? The caches and making hides aren't too difficult and unless someone is purposely tracking/stalking you, chances are they won't even notice (remember the old saying about "not seeing the trees because of the forest"? It came about from reality).