Sign in to follow this  
Regulator5

DIY Plans

I wasn't sure where to put this. The 1st link will be for the main site but it's plans for old western wagons (Chuck wagons, sheep wagons, buckboards, stagecoaches, covered wagons, etc). The plans are down in the store section and if you want, they sell completed wagons as well. They have several books and/or items that some find of interest.

I know not all will be interested and even if wanting to adapt modern materials, these can come in handy if operating a homestead or for long travels after TSHTF. I enjoy history (as most probably already know) and the Old West is right behind Colonial/Early America.

*If in the wrong forum, please move*

http://hansenwheel.com/

Making wooden barrels

http://www.ehow.com/how_5594942_make-wood-barrel.html

Reg, thanks for the link. I have a Mountain Howitzer cannon that needs two new wheels. I am going to contact these guys and see if they can make me two news ones. Who knows, maybe next spring I’ll get to shoot it again!

Glad y'all liked it.

Rod, I think the Prairie Schooners would make great BOVs if the gas pumps quit working. I for one am not going to try and reinvent the wheel, just use one that HAD been outdated....lol.

Coastie, I hope they can hook you up with some new wheels. It'd be cool to fire that howitzer.

Shawn, enjoy. There's a "Living History" thread from a while back (I think in General Survival or General Discussion) that has several of these links for early American sites.

Another thing is just making cedar chests to store our preps in. That will help keep the insects and rodents away. Cedar will mask the smell of foods and such plus it is deadly to rodents (causes respiratory failure according to "pet" rat guides). If your food is sealed in plastic or mylar bags, you shouldn't have to worry about it absorbing the cedar oil. I use cedar essential oils around the house to help deter rodents from moving in so I don't have to put a bunch of poisons out where the animals and kids play.

In the post-apocalypse novel Dies the Fire by SM Stirling (which has a weird scenario in which everything modern, from electricity to gas engines to firearms just quits working), one of the characters actually steals a restored covered wagon from a local museum on his way out of town. I thought that was genius.

Having a fully restored or custom designed wagon BEFORE vehicles go the way of the dodo? That would be even better, especially if it allowed you to get in some practice using horses (or mules, or even oxen) to pull it before it was necessary to your survival. Plus it would be just a cool thing to have around your home! They mention that several of their "sheep wagons" are used as guest housing by their owners. That would sure be more memorable than a pull-out couch in the living room!

OC, I agree. The plans weren't bad priced and as long as you figure scale, you could customize or even draw your own plans. I was looking at them and thinking of building one using a "strip" boat or aluminum boat for the base. I'm still trying to figure size for weight, but that would sure be nice if I had to cross a river or some marsh/swamp land to avoid trouble.

After TSHTF, I prefer not having to rely on bottlenecks (bridges) where I can be easily trapped/targeted...

Plus using modern materials, we can make them lighter and stronger while everything is in good order. I still want a traditional for hay rides tho. Even making 1/2 or 1/4 scales would allow for dogs to be used to pull extra gear and look at making some kind of adapter to put sled rails on the wagon for the winter season. Just thoughts on how I thought of being able to adapt the old proven ways with modern materials and then trying to find a way to make it even more multifunction for prepping in mind.

"Sled rails for the winter"

I've been living on the coast too long. My first thought was "sled rails? Don't ya mean some big over inflated bog tires?" I forget some people still get snow instead of torrential rains!

Another thought was "I wonder if you could use that plastic wood that people use for decks and porches these days? Wouldn't have to worry about rot. Wish I'd known ya'll might like a classic buckboard. My Mom donated our wagon, a sled, and a doctor's buggy to a museum last year. We never used the sled, even in Memphis.

I wish I had known you had it to Hoss. I am a history buff and those things just intrigue and interest me, whether for preps or not...lol.

Bog tires would be great, depending on where you are like you said, and being able to swap over to a non inflatable whee if the event outlasts the tires.

Even the 2 wheeled carts that were hand pulled by medieval farmers and still used in several less industrialized countries could be life (and back) savers.

I wasn't sure where to put this. The 1st link will be for the main site but it's plans for old western wagons (Chuck wagons, sheep wagons, buckboards, stagecoaches, covered wagons, etc). The plans are down in the store section and if you want, they sell completed wagons as well. They have several books and/or items that some find of interest.

I know not all will be interested and even if wanting to adapt modern materials, these can come in handy if operating a homestead or for long travels after TSHTF. I enjoy history (as most probably already know) and the Old West is right behind Colonial/Early America.

*If in the wrong forum, please move*

http://hansenwheel.com/

Making wooden barrels

http://www.ehow.com/how_5594942_make-wood-barrel.html

Here's one for you:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1713[/ATTACH]