Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coyote

Blank Firing Adapter on a 10/22?

8 posts in this topic

I'm interested in shooting some blanks through a 10/22. The way I understand it, you must have a blank firing adapter on the end if you want the rounds to cycle in a semi-auto.

I have not been able to find an adapter for a .22. Does anyone know of one, and would my barrel have to be threaded to use it?

Thanks!

check your local surplus store i know mine has about 1/2 dozen adapters for the M16,,might work ...basicly a plug to allow enough pressure to cycle the action..it 'clamps' onto the flash suppressor so one of those may be required

Edited by rayz

guys, not a stopper though; do NOT plug the barrel completely. The adapter restricts the barrel to a point that the chamber pressure is approximately equal to the pressure of a live round. Completely plugging the barrel could have bad results, even with a blank!

What the Capt. said...a BFA as a hole in it...for the M16 ones its a very very small hole, the hole is used to relieve the pressure of the gas from the blank.

Think for a second....

as the bullet travels down the barrel of the rifle it passes the gas tube that allows the gas to push the piston back and recycle the mechanism which then ejects the spent round...the bullet then passes out of the barrel which relieves the pressure on the gas piston and allows it to go forward and load a fresh cartridge. With no hole or no bullet leaving the barrel...what happens to all the gas that is pushing that piston backward toward your face?

kinda makes you think eh?

I know that the diameter difference between a .22 and a .223 is very small, but do I need to find an adapter made specifically for .22?

Also, are there other attachment methods that allow me to keep the front sight on on my 10/22 (also without scratching the finish)?

Dunno...I'm not a gunsmith, but you can put some type of tape or other material around the contact points to help protect the finish.

My BFAs were all threaded.

I know that the diameter difference between a .22 and a .223 is very small, but do I need to find an adapter made specifically for .22?

Also, are there other attachment methods that allow me to keep the front sight on on my 10/22 (also without scratching the finish)?

I'm afraid you should probably contact Ruger and ask them about a Blank Firing Adapter (BFA). The action on a 10/22 is substantially different that the action on an AR pattern rifle and you're talking .22 rimfire vs. .223 center fire. While that .22 blank may have less pressure than the .223 it is still above 20,000 psi (I think) and that is a LOT of pressure with which to play around. Not sure why you want blanks for your 10/22 but I would ask Ruger what they recommend. A 10/22 is too nice a firearm to be ruined by using the wrong BFA. Also remember to clean it afterwards because that barrel will be dirty.