I think a MacGyver Survival series would be nice. Have people send in stories and possibly pictures of how they had to fix something out in the wilderness and had to improvise to survive. It's always good to know that if somthing breaks, it can be fixed in a few different ways.

An article (with video) on how to make modifications / add-ons to AR 15, 12 guage, etc.. Would like to have some extra know how and save money on adding butt stocks, rails, and attaching other gadgets.

Edited by Josh_Survivalcache

I think a MacGyver Survival series would be nice. Have people send in stories and possibly pictures of how they had to fix something out in the wilderness and had to improvise to survive. It's always good to know that if somthing breaks, it can be fixed in a few different ways.

Delta7,

I've started a MacGyver thread - http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?66-MacGyver-Survival&p=247 - over in the General Survival topic. Let me know if that is the type of thing you had in mind.

BamaMan- I will take it as part of our responsibility to refer SC family members to other good sources of information that may not yet be posted here. Since I am in the business, I come across these sources virtually every day. So, check out AR Guns and Hunting on line magazine. Find it via Google. Also for instructional videos and all the accessories you could want for an AR in a lifetime, start with www.Brownells.com. Good searching.

Thanks, I am a long time outdoorsman that can break down a shotgun or rifle but no military training and the AR is a little new to me although I have become good at taking it apart and assembling it back togoether.

I was surprised to not see something posted this weekend along the lines of 9/11 survival lessons learned. If you had been in NY or the pentagon, what EDC items would have made a difference (one thing that comes to mind right away is the numerous dust masks you see people wearing in the videos of that day)? If you were in one of the planes that ended up who knows where when all the flights were grounded, what 5 things are you hopefully carrying? One of the things I'm curious about is what type of gear is a first responder carrying that's practical for average-joe to carry?

I think an article on the Zombie Apocalypse would be cool.

Hear me out on this.

Today in Advanced Rhetoric, we were tasked with picking an issue that most people wouldn't think about and present it to the class.

I chose the issue that not enough people had a Z-Day Plan. This got laughs from the class and a look from the teacher that said that she wasn't impressed, but I kept going.

"Zombie strategies can be broken down into two categories: Killing zombies, and surviving. Let's ignore the killing zombies part for now and focus on survival.Can anyone name a few survival issues you always see in zombie games or movies?"

A few people said things like no communications, no electricity, no government and finding food. They were all still kind of laughing at this point.

"O.K., so would you say that those sound similar to what people had to deal with after Hurricane Katrina?"

This sobered up the class. One person said, "Well...yeah. But that was"

I cut him off, "What about last month, when half the town (I live in Rockford IL) lost it's electricity for almost a week? People had similar problems without electricity."

By this point the class all had 'holy shit' looks on their faces.

I continued, "I argue, that everyone should make a Z-Day plan just because it gets you thinking about the issues and problems that you might have to face that are very similar to what you would have to face after a natural disaster, bad storm, economic collapse or massive terrorist attack. I'm not saying that everyone should go out and fortify their houses and buy a lot of guns and ammo, just that you should take the time to think about it and ask yourself what you'll be able to deal with, and what you won't be able to. If you take the time now to think about it, you'll be that much better off than when something actually happens and these problems present themselves as they happen."

They clapped for me when I sat down.

That's what I'm suggesting. A correlation between the now popular zombies, and how that can actually benefit prepping and thinking ahead. I think it would make a nice article for the site (especially with Halloween approaching).

Delta7, thats interesting you say that, even the CDC.gov website took that approach.... juc checked their website, they did have it last year.. it was under the emergency preparedness area, i guess some bureaucrat didn't think it was funny...oh wait..found it http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp

murj- years ago the parking lot was hit in the twin towers from a fert bomb. alot of people that were still working there during 91101, remember there being alot of dust then, and knew to evacuate, should they feel the building moving. I find alot of things in the Urban Survival Article to be spot on. Get me home bag, sunglasses, dust mask, etc.

Edited by Crazy Rebel

I'd really like to see an article about desalination techniques and portable desalintors. For people like me that live on Islands (the Florida Keys) and on the East and Weat coast it is paramount that we find a way to use desalinated water because the only other source would be rain. In a GOOD situation it would be great to know how to get fresh water from the ocean, either through a desalinator (which are costly) or other techniques.

I would like to see a no non-sense best weapons and gear

Most available Ammo as in lowest cost, highest availability.

Weapons that will take that Ammo.

Weapons that are the most durable in a SHTF situation.

An article series of items that are multi use (e-tool: toilet seat, shovel, weapon, hammer.) something like that, except a whole slew of them. Maybe ways to make ordinary items, that generally have one use, multi use by modifying them. Basically, a massive efficiency article for packing a BOB.

An article series of items that are multi use (e-tool: toilet seat, shovel, weapon, hammer.) something like that, except a whole slew of them. Maybe ways to make ordinary items, that generally have one use, multi use by modifying them. Basically, a massive efficiency article for packing a BOB.

I second that notation.

gentelman and ladies if any are on this thread:

first water desalination look for an old pool sand filter made from stainless steel they hold about 15 gallons

has a domed lid and a clamp that connects / clamps the two halves together and paint it with black

bar-b-q paint

usually in the top there is a nipple 3/8 or 1/2 in pipe thread get a brass compression fitting to fit the

proper pipe thread get a roll of copper tubing and put in in the compression side you have just made a still

on the bottom and the side there will be pvc plastic pipe 1 1/2 " or so remove this plug the side with a

stainless steel plug out of the botton a short nipple an ell a long enough nipple to clear the side of the

tank and use a brass gate valve here extract as much water as you can but the salt sludce save and let it sun dry for preserving salt.

the tubing should come straight up then 90% into a pig tail {coil}about 6 inches in diameter as many wraps as you can. angled downward attach a sun shade to the coil can be anything that does not transfer heat a water mister or contain it in a pipe with a water inlet and out let to make a condenser a or solar

powered plastic water pump to flow water through the condenser or a 4" + computer fan blowing over the misted coil will do also the coil angles down about 45% the worm i]is just a straight piece that finishes your coil that you can point down into your container for fresh water you make

to heat it edmund scientific has Fresnel lenses get a big one or if you can find an old projection TV there in probably one in it. make a frame for it like a portable chalk board frame, and align it east to west.

use the lens to heat the bottom of the tank and distill your water this is the covert way if you do not

want smoke if you don't care or you can use wood coal oil propane dried dung if it will burn it will fire this

still

I wonder if there is value to an article investigating our (preppers) views and outlooks on religion, and other intangible areas. How many of us included extra bibles etc in our gear? Will we be gathering together for worship or avoiding everybody as much as possible? What is our local society going to look like? Im talking about AFTER the initial bug out and hysteria subsides a little. I think there is a great deal of discussion in this, if it is not too controversial.

I wonder if there is value to an article investigating our (preppers) views and outlooks on religion, and other intangible areas. How many of us included extra bibles etc in our gear? Will we be gathering together for worship or avoiding everybody as much as possible? What is our local society going to look like? Im talking about AFTER the initial bug out and hysteria subsides a little. I think there is a great deal of discussion in this, if it is not too controversial.

I confess to being a tad leery of this topic. It might work but my gut feel is that it is way too personal for most of us to avoid at least some inappropriate posts. While I consider a persons faith a critical part of their survival mentality there is a very fine line between describing what I believe and 'proselytizing' the readership. Since I am a member of the clergy, I may not be the correct person to make this call. I will see what the management team thinks.

i would like to do an article about survival essentials with an infant. i lived that way when my husband my son and i were homeless when i was 7 months pregnant until the baby was about 3 months old. i know a lot about the shtf stuff here.

Jessie, I think that's a great idea. We have some young parents here.