Sign in to follow this  
WV Scout

Veterans Support

Not sure if anyone has ran into this before but this is my first time. I was at a veterans club (supposed to be) but most people (including the bartender) said that the veterans have no say in this club and that the social members run everything and thats the way it should be. As a veteran I think this is awfull and I walked out; and this is a national organization. It just goes to show how everything in this country has gone down hill. If it was not for the veterans what would we have. I say a soldiers pray every night for those serving (especially 19d Scouts). I just think it's a shame how some forget. Maybe we should make a seperate thread or a forum for our veterans past and present.

Scout, what organization was this? I agree with you, but of course I am biased...lol. If the club tho is a Veterans Club, then the Vets have all the say and the social members are just guests, IMO. I wonder what their response would be if a letter to the local paper was written?

There was a military thread started in the Announcements or Articles sub forum.

Not only are veterans forgoten, and in short order i may add. But also the names of those who helped BUILD and Forge this country. Can anyone give me a single name of those who first arrived on the EAST COAST to settle there for 'The New Land"? (Yes I know Vikings and Natives were here long before any of that stuff)

My familys surname first arrived in Maryland (not yet Maryland at the time) in 1634, on board the Elizabeth out of Ipswitch, England. Among several other families. But history does not know these people. Many of the first brave souls to carve a foot-hold into the New Land. My family has been in every war this country ever fought, but my family name means nothing.

People like that Bar Tender and those who run it, who just disregard the needs and opinions of Vets, hold no place in my heart.

Unrelated to this thread but still something you guys may appreciate:

My dad, Algebra/Calculus teacher and Historian, often talked to us about a distant relative, Brig.Gen Lloyd Tilghman

http://www.bryansbush.com/hub.php?page=articles&layer=a0605

Edited by NavyVet_77

Iam not a vet so this will be my only post. I am forever grateful for our soldiers past present and future. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all you guys and gals out for sacrificing so much for the protection of me and my family.

I maybe have missed the point, but I served because I believe in the freedoms we (supposedly) enjoy. Those who did not serve, as well as those who did, have every right to their opinions and their way of life.

I do not deserve nor do I expect special treatment because I served. I demand and expect only the treatment I have earned. This particular club mentioned by WV SCOUT may be deserving of scorn, or worse, not knowing the particulars, I can't say, but should there be such a division between veterans and everyone else??

I don't think so.

I maybe have missed the point, but I served because I believe in the freedoms we (supposedly) enjoy. Those who did not serve, as well as those who did, have every right to their opinions and their way of life.

I do not deserve nor do I expect special treatment because I served. I demand and expect only the treatment I have earned. This particular club mentioned by WV SCOUT may be deserving of scorn, or worse, not knowing the particulars, I can't say, but should there be such a division between veterans and everyone else?? I don't think so.

DD, i think you got the point just fine.

My only opinion is if the club is a "Vets Club" then they probably rely on Vets paying dues and/or public donations to support the Vets which they obviously do not.

Am I special because I served, NO. Is anyone better because they didn't serve? No.

I just found a "Vet's Club" not respecting Vets as a little off base. I'm used to the gov't and the hippies being unfriendly and I choose to ignore them just as I will this club.

ok i lied that i was only going to post once. I just want to say you guys are great for not thinking those of us who didn't serve are pieces of you know what. I have run into a lot of guys that look at me like they want to break my arm if I tell them thanks and they know I didn't serve. Personally, I go out of my way to say thank you to anyone I see in uniform, usually when we go out to eat I will go and shake the person's hand and tell them thank you for serving.

Twolf,

Anyone who has not been in combat is blessed indeed. There is something different about combat vets; they understand how meaningless most of the concerns about grades, money, status, etc. really are because they have seen friend and foe die. Tough lesson and you don't have to get shot at to learn it.

I talked my son out of serving in the military simply because of who the commander in chief was at the time. The guys who weren't drafted were luckier than others; not better and not worse. I chose to join because I had read Plato and others as a boy (like I was an old man of 20 when I joined!) and thought I had an obligation to serve. No quibble with those who felt differently.

I don't understand the feelings of those who did not serve and somehow feel guilty. I guess it is just a point of view thing but part of the reason I enlisted was so that others would not have to do so. Not much sympathy for those who fled the country to avoid the draft, that is cowardice, but if you were not selected you were not asked to serve in the military. I had friends, my age, who were not drafted and did not serve. No harm, no foul.

Just my not so humble opinion.

i do have to contest a statement by DD.. after thinking about this for a lil while.

But maybe not, depends on your perspective.

Wounded/PTSD vets, they deserve i think 'special treatment'. Look at how many charity and special programs have sprang up trying to help these guys out, yellow ribbons n all that good stuff.

And if its an actual 'vets club' we're talking about, why would they not consider the needs and opinions of its members. But if this is a private business providing a facility for those vet meetings, then thats something else.

Regulator, did you really poll all of the members, or was this just the people who happened to be there for a specific event or at one time? It might be worth raising your concerns to whoever is supposed to be in charge of that vet's club to see if you happened upon some disgruntled individuals or if that really is how it's organized and run. Then, if you find out that what you were told is true, I can certainly understand writing it off.

Our local VFW Post puts on a big breakfast a couple of times a month as a fundraiser. My family got really excited about the opportunity to support them, so we started doing group breakfasts instead of dinners for celebrations, etc. It's worth noting that, as our grandmas were quite insistent that all of us grandkids (and great-grandkids) attend, our group would often number between 20 and 40 people, so we brought in a ton of business for them. One of the vets took my great-uncle aside one morning and told him that while they appreciated the support, it was just too stressful having to deal with a crowd that size. So now we only have breakfast there when the group is smaller than a dozen. LOL We figure it's their place, so we really shouldn't ruin it for them.

Devildog, Amen brother! Were this a game, you’d be shouting, “Bingo!”

Veteran ‘clubs’ are having difficulty staying open. The American Legion in our town has trouble keeping the doors open. I served one year as Senior Vice and two years as Commander of the Post. I saw that most veterans were apathetic when it came to contributing to the Post. The same 10 people put on all events, dinners and other fundraising events. Sadly, most of those getting involved were Sons of the Legion and the Auxiliary. I volunteer to be the Commander because I hoped to change the atmosphere and get more people involved. It worked for about six months then everyone went back to the normal levels of apathy. It was truly disheartening and I refuse to serve a third term. I was done.

When new people come into the Post for a beer, the ‘old’ crew treats the new folks like second class citizens. And if they didn’t verbally attack, they totally ignored the newbie. Well, it doesn’t take too long before the new guys never come back. And they wondered why membership was dropping… duh!

When it came to voting, the members were the only ones that voted. So the veterans had total control over everything that occurred within the Post’s purview. And it showed.

Devildog, Amen brother! Were this a game, you’d be shouting, “Bingo!”

Veteran ‘clubs’ are having difficulty staying open. The American Legion in our town has trouble keeping the doors open. I served one year as Senior Vice and two years as Commander of the Post. I saw that most veterans were apathetic when it came to contributing to the Post. The same 10 people put on all events, dinners and other fundraising events. Sadly, most of those getting involved were Sons of the Legion and the Auxiliary. I volunteer to be the Commander because I hoped to change the atmosphere and get more people involved. It worked for about six months then everyone went back to the normal levels of apathy. It was truly disheartening and I refuse to serve a third term. I was done.

When new people come into the Post for a beer, the ‘old’ crew treats the new folks like second class citizens. And if they didn’t verbally attack, they totally ignored the newbie. Well, it doesn’t take too long before the new guys never come back. And they wondered why membership was dropping… duh!

When it came to voting, the members were the only ones that voted. So the veterans had total control over everything that occurred within the Post’s purview. And it showed.

Quite dishartening, to hear this. Older Vets should be imbraceing the newer one's that show up, it's the new blood that helps to keep the place running. After all were all in the same, that served the country.

Amen Sig! I tried to explain that but I was not skilled enough of a speaker to get them to understand.

Things work out in the end, as long one's hart is in the right place. Your's certainly is, you've given your time & effort. Which is priceless. Skill is not always an issue, but a willing hart & mind that matters the most. May God bless you, your family & the people that come to your life. Amen.

Edited by P210SIG

I just want to say that I do not have any problems with those that did not serve and I have always had respect for them. What Iam trying to get across is that some of the people in this club did not serve (social members); does that give them the right to put vets down and say that they have no opinion and what they say does not matter. Yes everyone is entitled to thier own opinion.

Scout, I am confused concerning your post and would like a little clarity. Do people have the right to put down vets? I don’t understand. Can anyone say negative things about veterans? Yes, that is exactly the reason those veterans served. We protected the 1st Amendment Right. But why do they want to put down vets? Also, just because someone has the right to say something does not make it right to say it. That means that I have the right to call the vice president a fool but it might not be right for me to say that… not matter how accurate the accusation.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and they can say negative things about the military and veterans. But, in my opinion, it takes a shallow person to denigrate the people that defend and protect their right to say what they want. But in today’s society, it is not surprising.