Sign in to follow this  
P210SIG

Hygene issues? shaved head, buzz cut or long hair hippy.

I'm not sure if this been addresed in the forums or not. So my question to all is when the poop hits the propeller/ SHTF, how will one be keeping their hair do. I my self, i've had a shaved head for many a moons now. It will be fun trying to find a barber/hairdresser, when life as we know it vanashes. So will you be a skin head or a hippy from the 60's LOL.

Oh yes, lice could be an issue on one's head.

i stopped paying for a haircut many years ago. When it comes time, i just take the buzz-clippers to it. As short as I can stand. And a clean short beard.

ALso, if you know someone with Psoriosis or Eczema, Vitamin D (SUnlight) helps treat that.

Military shaves heads for 2 reasons:

Hygien and CQC

And according to Max Brooks (Zombie Survival Guide), zombies stand a better chance grabbing and holding you if you have long hair. That, in my opinion, is the best reason to have short hair. Gotta worry about the zombies, you know...:D

Always something new to think about! The wife gives me a buzz cut about once a month, but she uses the electric clippers. Guess I'll have to find a straight razor or get my knives REALLY sharp. When I was in college I could have passed for one of Dangerwolfe's ancestors, or maybe a lost ZZTop member.

Who knows? Maybe I'll do that look for a while. It did tend to frighten people a bit when a large "viking" walked into the room. The wife makes lye soap though, so the tiny livestock won't stand a chance!

Always something new to think about! The wife gives me a buzz cut about once a month, but she uses the electric clippers. Guess I'll have to find a straight razor or get my knives REALLY sharp. When I was in college I could have passed for one of Dangerwolfe's ancestors, or maybe a lost ZZTop member.

Who knows? Maybe I'll do that look for a while. It did tend to frighten people a bit when a large "viking" walked into the room. The wife makes lye soap though, so the tiny livestock won't stand a chance!

"Tiny livestock" love it! :o

I have a "natural" yarmulke, that seems to be getting concentrically larger each year. When it finally takes over, I shall sport a brass ear ring, and go Mr. Clean, and perhaps grow my beard back.(well trimmed of course) At least my face shall be warm in the winter and protected from aging sun in the summer.

I have a "natural" yarmulke, that seems to be getting concentrically larger each year. When it finally takes over, I shall sport a brass ear ring, and go Mr. Clean, and perhaps grow my beard back.(well trimmed of course) At least my face shall be warm in the winter and protected from aging sun in the summer.

And in a pinch, you can turn your head sideways to confuse people...lol.

Desert, that’s just wrong. Not shaving all over but telling us about it. I am a visual thinker and think in pictures. And right now I want to burn my eyes… thank you very much!

I’d go with a shaved head. A big, bald-headed guy with tats will usually not be the first person selected to harass. That’ll give me time to escape! Remember, he who hits and runs away lives to hit another day… just sayin’.

This thread is getting hilarious ;)

On a more (or less) serious note. Having had long hair and a beard (don't have it now) I can dispel some common myths and confirm others:

1. Women do not like men with long hair or beards: TRUE

Most women do not like long hair or beards on men as they often had no reservations commenting negatively on my appearance, especially the wife (just try that one in reverse....). In any case, the more I cared what girls thought of me the less luck I had with them, funny how that works.

2. Long hair makes you look effeminate: TRUE or FALSE depending on what the rest of you looks like, and definitely not true with a beard.....

I always preferred long hair for myself but was happy to grow a beard cuz I shore am purdy, LOL! A fine-featured Scandinavian so to speak....been a gift and a curse I suppose......Got the "hey kid! Are you a boy or a girl?" as a youngster and the "excuse me m'am.." from behind in my 30's. Landed me in fights sometimes, etc. because people just assume all kinds of nonsense....

However, I don' t think anyone (sane) would tell Sebastian Chabal he looks like a chick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmB08Jofxss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfUmW_Mf5qc

3. Long hair is a disadvantage in hand-to-hand combat: FALSE

If somebody's fist is occupied pulling your hair it's not hitting or stabbing you....or defending your attacker....

4. Long hair is dirty, difficult to manage and time consuming to take care of: FALSE

Long hair is a piece of cake to maintain and requires very little time, so long as you accept the type and color of hair you have, and don't fight it. You really don't need a load of special expensive products, that's just advertising propaganda from the hair care industry. This vid is obviously more useful to the ladies on this forum, but the girl gives some good tips that apply to anybody with long hair, even in a SHTF situ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KP72wc_-QM&feature=relmfu

5. Long hair and a beard make you look older: TRUE

After months of nagging I recently shaved off my beard, and yes, the wife and her girly-friends got all goofy about how I look 10 years younger.... My hair is not really grey but the beard was getting there so of course! Personally, I could give less than a rat's @ss at this point how old or young I look. I've earned the grey in my beard and can haul a load of bricks or whatever, better than a lot of guys 1/2 my age.... Just something really intimidating about an "older dude" in good physical shape so bring it on!

BTW: Yes, I did try the razor shaved totally bald head once.....folks I knew at work of the darker skinned persuasion were kind of shocked, thought I'd become an extremist or something, LOL! In any case, did not like being a baldy personally.

Regards

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe