Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

BOB question.

The Voodoo tobogo bag has good back support but terrible shoulder support. The Northface bag however expensive will last you and whoever you pass it down to a lifetime. Comes with the bladder space for water. The structure for support is not like the other so called competitors. I looked for the cheaper alternative. I took things like will I be climbing mountains and bridges or collapsed buildings into consideration. EMS makes the closest one to it for a few dollars cheaper. It's "water proof" so to speak, the zippers pull each side really close into each other and create a seal. Keeping everything dry is important. There's a extra cover you can buy for the bag but it only comes in red or blue. So you'll stand out like a sore thumb in the woods. Not ideal during a hostile situation. But there is a PVC latex you can buy it's a fabric. I design clothes. I make waterproof wind breakers out of it. I have yards of it that I'm turning into covers for all my bags. But the Eberlestock bags I gave you the Link too. Those bags are super insanely supportive. I had invested my money into the north faces and voodoos already by the time I found out about them. But my best friend built his bug out with the gun slinger bag. It has a rifle mount that came with it. So you wouldn't have to hold it. something I have to achieve using rope and slings. The north face bags hug your body. You don't want to much space between the bag and your body. No rubbing. There should be little room for any more complications. Rubbing will give a rash or a open sore. Itll suck either way. Like I said I built our bags to last us for a major social crash. If shit hits the fan for real. My bug out location is over 200 miles away. It could take me weeks to get there with 2kids and my girl.

I understand. That's with anything tho I guess when you order online. I checked out the LA police gear website. Those bags are all small. Nothing good for long term on the road survival. But all good for 3 day type scenarios. Most of these technical bags aren't for long walks. Except for the Eberlestock bags. Those are outfitted for the Army Marines. They won huge contracts. The snipers who are out on the field for days use them. Think about the everlast climbers or the mountain climbers. Long walks during insane weather with jagged rocks and rain snow. The bags stand the test of time. I'm not trying to convince you to buy anything. Im joust thinking of what's best for me and my family in my worst idea of a bad situation. Do what ou think works best for you for the scenario you think you would have to deal with. What I think is going to happen is shit is going to hit the fan civil unrest and people running wild like animals. Solar flares scortch the earth, electricity goes out, too many people who didn't prepare mentally and I will have to get my family high in the mountains in the woods and try to survive life.

i like those bags sean but they are way out of my budget at this time, and to tactical looking for my situation. i want something less eye catching and a lot better on the pockets. i would rather put the extra $$

into whats going in the bag than the bag itself.

I totally hear you Rick. I didnt want to spend that much either. But I gave in. I really want the Eberlestock but they are waaaay over my budget. I went with the NorthFace bags due to there size and the material used is top notch. I took the pictures just to show you. Even tho I know what your looking for I might aswell

my bags to you.post-1372-13851497642647_thumb.jpg This is my girls bag. It has an additional 10-12 inches

space that can expand out ----> post-1372-13851497643142_thumb.jpg My bag doesnt look much bigger then her's but it is massive. I can store the tent, sleeping bag, clothes, blankets and the massive amount of gear. stoves, fishing stuff, water stuff, rifles, shotguns, all the stuff that I would need, first aid...etc.etc. the list goes on and on... Its overwhelming. Are you just

starting to build your bag? Here is my bag ----> post-1372-13851497643381_thumb.jpg The back support is

amazing. At 60+ pounds worth of gear it isnt that bad. Ive loaded up other bags and 60+ pounds feels like 60+ pounds.. The weight distribution is important. ---->post-1372-13851497643628_thumb.jpg The composite foam with the light weight aluminum framing really makes carrying a heavy load easy. The zippers seal real nice too. --->

post-1372-13851497642903_thumb.jpg

Edited by SEAN

ricksconnected, check out antarespro.com. i got mine there and it was the cheapest I could get it (even with a 20% off code, uscav, the next cheapest was still about five dollars more with shipping). its a great pack. My rush 12 is my new go bag. I am still alittle iffy on the zippers, but it is a good pack, should serve you well if you got it.

I dont know why it wont let put any more pictures / images up. I have a few more. I hope you the best man. Isnt it exciting putting it all together. lol. I stressed myself out for over a 6 months before I started building it. The amount of research and product testing I did was just overkill. This is how I found Survivalcache.com ( the coolest website in my opinion ) It has helped me prepare tremendously. I never started posting on the forum till I read your post. Only because I know how much anxiety I went threw in choosing my bag. I do have a smaller BOB that I have ready for an extra person or when I go on trips I usually throw it in the car. I have two small ones for my kids that I got from Camel Pack they make excellent bags. In my kids bags they have flashlights, there BDU's and sleeping bags and water bladders. each have a knife, fishing stuff, first aid, compass, 100% UVRAY free sunglasses. ( the type the glacier climbers use ) fire

starters and other stuff. There bags weigh about 20 pounds.

Anyway man. Good Luck. If you ever need any more over explained help let me know. lol. This forum is

full of people who know there stuff. I feel like Im one of them. kinda. sorta. Cheers mate

sean, thank you for the offers. im glad you finally posted up. heck yes its fun and boy it sure is a chore. (putting this all together)

thing i like most is the whole concept is a individual thing. theres no one thing thats best for everybody or all situations. i found this forum the same way you did. there are two sites i rely on, this one and another.

this is the only survival forum im on though. my other site has a TON of reading too. besides, this forum is nice and small still. everybody has great inputs and there are no Mr Know it all's on here. thats how a quality forum gets ruined. plus, this forum is full of men (and hopefully women too one day) who have proudly worn and still wear the uniform of our armed forces.

Yeah man. The Eberlestock bags are top quality bags too. I have never seen a better made bag. I was lucky to get a discount on the NorthFace a best friend of mine was a manager at one of the stores in Manhattan.

So i saved atleast 40-45 bucks on each bag. HEy man, the other most important thing you need in that bag once you get it, is a Water filter system. Im going to post a new thread on THE LIFESAVER WATER FILTER

tomo. When I say there is noooo other water bottle better then this one. I mean it!!! Its so expensive those. Like I said i built my bags as if we were going to be stranded on the road!!! like the movie THE ROAD! There are a few really good filter systems but not like this one. The amount of water that can be filtered before having to change any type of filter, or pre filter is insane. I'll show the math tomo. Cheers man...

im looking forward to that post too sean. water filters are on my list to get into after the new yr.

it will be nice to have a heads up on something i have no clue about, water filters.

some of this stuff i'll have to eventually buy twice. one for now and an upgrade down the road.

i hate buying twice but with the way things are, ya never know when shiot will hit the fan. i would rather

have something at the ready incase while saving for better. thats not on everything but on some stuff.

im headed to my local army/navy tomorrow for kicks.

IM even considering building my two Cane Corso's ( Italian Mastiffs ) bug out Dog bags. Like a saddle harness. I already have paw protectors for them with rubber grippy bottoms. They can carry rope, and some stuff I wouldn't worry about if they ran away. ( which they would never, both highly trained ) Cant leave them during the apocalypse. We might have to eat one or both of them. lol.

Some things you don't want to skimp on. There are ways to clean your water, Josh has written quality articles on water filtration. But the LIFESAVER is by far the most impressive. You could take a hershey squirts shit in a bucket of water and I would filter it using the lifesaver and I would drink it with out being worried. Anoher thing is poly-propeleyne long johns is a must. Get some good Archery too man, Hunt in silence. Wouldnt have to give up your locations. This is something else I did extent research on before I even stepped in a archery store. Then found out I was a left handed shooter when I was always shooting right handed..! lol.

I have a few pairs of good kicks/boots/work boots... Im still not 100% sure. I know at my bug out location I have a few pairs. I have to buy bulk clothes for my kids including boots and stuff they can grow into as they get older. Mainly BDU's and jackets. Im stressed out now even thinking about how much I still have to prepare...! Get a knife sharpener! A good lock pick set too. LEarn how to use them. Binoculars! Hand rope saw! Theres a ton of lists on here.

pad-lock shim too man... Rope the good kind, not just paracord550. Im talking black 5,000 pound repelling rope. Learn the good knots, good knots are also very easy to untie when your done. Hammock. Hand-crank flashlight, small blowgun ( not necessary ) but there light weight and catching birds with them is easy. I used to sshot bats out of the sky with once when I was little. ( Im not a weirdo animal abuser ) But at my parents house upstate we has an unusual amount of them flying around at night. Zippo with at least two bottles of refill lighter fluid ( NOT BUTANE FLUID ) . Extra flints and wick

http://youtu.be/qkUxQl1mcyU

Fuck I would say everyone in my family is going to get a zippo plus 2-4 containers of lighter fluid.

I have a few sling shots, I have ever showed my 7 year ol d daughter how to properly use one, But Ive busted every single band on everyone I lost faith in it. Do you know why this happens? Am i pulling it back to far?

hi all

i don't know if this is the type of info your interested in,but here goes.i like making my own costume bags. but you could get a H harness.i don't know how well it would fit you.i'm just under 6',i can put 4 big bags down the back.you can put a any types of bags you want on the straps,belt you want.another way,get a duffle bag with 2 straps.sew on some pouches,belt near bottom for around waist.add pluming pipes with straps & foam for frame.the pluming pipes can help float heavy pack crossing water.

Buy something cheap like a Walmart field line that will work for the short term, and save up for an eberlestock. I have the J34, the X1A1, and the mini-me that I use for hunting different game. For what you want the J34 would be ideal. You can get it in the dry earth or coyote brown color if you don't want camo and it won't look to military. I changed my bag significantly since the first post I had on here, spread the weight out more between my bag and my girlfriends plus put alot of items in the marine cooler I'd take in the truck. The new versions are lighter and pack much closer to the back and easier than my original. My bag now weighs 47.5lbs including my rifle. The only weight I'd pack not included in that is my 22oz revolver and 2 speedloaders plus the clothes I wear. My girlfriends bag weighs 26lbs including her rifle, excluding her sidearm and clips. Originally I tried to make her bag auxillary to mine and expendable, that made me double or triple up on to many items. I used my postage scale and an excel spreadsheet to find the right balance of gear and weight, it really helped to see it that way.

post-1747-13851497857256_thumb.jpg

post-1747-13851497857716_thumb.jpg