Sign in to follow this  
Hossfly

WROL,TSHTF,TEOTWAWKI , non verbal comms

Capt Bart

Perhaps getting the hell away from Houston BEFORE anything happens might be prudent.

As for the mosquitoes, I much prefer them to those damn big flying cockroaches that Houston seems to have so many of.

Of course once the polar ice caps melt and I have ocean front property here I suppose the mosquitoes and the big flying roaches will be here too.

Wish I could; working on it but just not economically possible at the moment. It is a real question as to whether or not I have enough time to get it done.

Capt, I agree. The high mountains and their clear and relatively clean air is a much better location, IMO. As long as you have a reliable water source, the west would offer a better locale with less People (except the coast).

I finally sold my house in Houston about 20 years ago deciding I was much happier in my 30 year old mobile home out here in a unincorporated rural setting.

I do miss the money I made in Houston, but when your spending more time elsewhere. Besides that, the house in Houston had bars on the windows and doors, here, hell I'm not even sure where the keys to my house are, I haven't locked a door in the last decade. Plus I can sleep with a window open and not worry about someone trying to crawl through it, though I admit I still sleep with something under my pillow.

Ok, so how many different ways has this one thread been hijacked at this point??

Tonight it's rum and coke (well mostly rum) so why not hijack it onto a Coke Vs Pepsi debate!! :D

Sorry folks, just being goofy before I hit the rack. :P

Ok, so how many different ways has this one thread been hijacked at this point??

Tonight it's rum and coke (well mostly rum) so why not hijack it onto a Coke Vs Pepsi debate!! :D

Sorry folks, just being goofy before I hit the rack. :P

Actually, I got hooked on Diet Coke long ago. Actually like the taste better (I even have 'Coke Floats' with the Diet) and it does an excellent job as a solvent (bugs off windshields, corrosion off battery terminals, etc.) so it became a survival tool! Hijack acknowledged!

Actually, I got hooked on Diet Coke long ago. Actually like the taste better (I even have 'Coke Floats' with the Diet) and it does an excellent job as a solvent (bugs off windshields, corrosion off battery terminals, etc.) so it became a survival tool! Hijack acknowledged!

GOvt issue CoolAid does the same thing. 'Ascorbic Acid' (Concentrated Vitamin C) is what we used in the Navy to clean the oxidation off all the brass fitting on FireHoses and such. We'de just mix a 5gallon bucket of coolaid, no sugar, and just drop in the oxidized brass. Cpl hours later pull it out, and a quick little once-over with a wire brush and shiney like new.

Hey! I wonder if Coke will get love bugs off of a car?

You Yankees wouldn't know about love bugs. They hit the car like a little rock but splatter all over and their blood has some kind of acid that'll eat through paint if you don't wash em off fast enough. It also dries like super glue so it's hard to clean it up.

Down here Auburn fans blame Alabama's science dept and Alabama fans blame LSU's science dept. truth be told, the govt probly imported them from Japan for some reason.

Yes, if they aren't baked on too bad Coke will soften the love bug matter enough so a power washer can get it clean. We don't have em here like you folks, but there are some around along with a butt ugly butterfly they call a "Snout" that is just as messy. Tried some coke on them last spring after they splattered all over the front of my white Jeep. Tried just the power washer first and thought it was going to peal the paint and still left bug matter, then remembered a coke that was in the console that had got warm and I didn't drink and tried it. As it said, it softened the bug matter just enough so the power washer could remove it.

Now as for Diet Coke, YUCK!!

Can't speak for what it may taste like today but way back when they first came out with a diet coke (must have been the early to mid 70's) I was on a road trip with my father, his girlfriend and my grandparents. Stopped to get something to drink and they were out of regular coke so I bought a can of diet, and we hit the road again. I remember damn near gagging on that first sip and started to toss it out the window when Grandpa said "It can't be that bad" so I handed it to him, he took one sip and spit it out the window and handed it to Grandma, around the car it went because no one wanted to believe it was that bad. When it came back to me it was still darn near full, and out the window it went and I have avoided anything that says "diet" on it ever since.

NavyVet - absolutely true. Can't find it around here now, it's all Sprite Zero. Some clown got a big paycheck for changing the name.

Dr K30, Yes straight Coke works but you MUST wash that off because of the syrup residue. I even use Diet Coke to clean the gunk out of my coffee cup. Drives the folks I work with nuts - "if it does that to the cup, what's it doing to your stomach?" kind of thing. DC lacks the sweetness of regular so I guess it's a matter of taste; of which I probably have little.

HIJACK ALERT!

To give you an idea of my tastes; I drink island scotch. They typically taste a lot like diesel oil was stored in the barrels before the scotch. If you've never tried Laphroaig http://www.laphroaig.com/ you should at least try it once. Warning: it is an acquired taste!:rolleyes:

Capt Bart

Your right, you have no taste!! ROTFLMAO

Me, I think I will stick to black Jack or good old Bacardi rum for mixers.

But I drink Coke where most drink coffee, first thing in the morning I gots to have me a coke or the whole world turns to shit in short order. And of course with meals I prefer a coke or iced tea with lots of sugar and lemon.

Let that be a warning to you boys and girls, when TSHTF and you find yourself between me and a Coca Cola delivery truck first thing in the morning you might wish to RUN the other way!! LoL

I was reading back through the original post.

A comms code can be developed at any time, but cant really be practiced before the event, or you run the risk of the code being cyphered... before its needed.

A thought here.. we could use the same symbols under another form of communication, but assign different meanings.

I was reading back through the original post.

A comms code can be developed at any time, but cant really be practiced before the event, or you run the risk of the code being cyphered... before its needed.

A thought here.. we could use the same symbols under another form of communication, but assign different meanings.

Un-hijacking the thread, huh? OK. I'm not sure I completely agree. Under the heading of "you fight like you train" the possibility of confusing the codes under stress seems too great to change the meanings. The code might be cracked but is that really a big problem? The odds of someone who knows you well enough to crack the code AND be a threat seems remote. Not impossible but improbable perhaps?

I would argue that the codes are needed now. My family has ways of saying I'm in trouble, both verbally and non-verbally, already in place. It is important.

Just my not so humble opinion, of course.

Navy, I agree that a code can be easily implemented, just takes some time. I do agree with Capt Bart about not changing it up when an event happens because unlike the military where we know it's changing, most People don't think about it or are they used to constant changes, until such time as would be prudent... a year or so into the event.... for if a local threat does exist, you can change it up.

I communicate alot with People I deal with on preps. We can talk about everything relatively openly and if there is an emergency, we use catch phrases, etc to signal the threat or situation isn't normal.

Even using hand signals, we made up our own for use hunting, which in turn became our signals for paintballing when we were playing that.

The biggest hardship in a code is non direct commo, like leaving a symbol or a sign, for someone to follow to a cache or a rest stop/safe haven. You'd want the People to know how to read it that was in your group/family/extended organization but be something most would overlook and not vandal as they walked by or notice so they start hunting for what it points towards.

I was flipping channels the other day and one of the Lord of the Rings trilogy came on..

You know you've been on a prepper websight too long when you wonder if learning Elvish would be a good idea so you could maintain opsec on yer comms...I am such a geek!