Sign in to follow this  
Hossfly

WROL,TSHTF,TEOTWAWKI , non verbal comms

I agree on that, was wondering about long term if the refineries are down. I know bio doesn't handle the cold well, but it may become about the only option if we lose our grid and do not get it restored before the fuel reserves run out.

Shelf life of about 3 months, prone to growing some type of fungus even when mixed 50/50 with diesel, and has a tendency to damage injection pumps and injectors which would be in short supply. Trust me, I have tried several variables and always get the same results, one seriously screwed up engine and fuel tanks that have to be removed and acid washed.

Once fuel reserves are depleted it's pretty much game over until someone can get a refinery back online. Best plan is to make the most of what you can scavenge and get a good horse or two. And don't worry, I'm sure there are some creative people who will set up small scale refineries, especially down here. I may even give it a go myself, I'm surrounded by stinking oil wells anyway. Of course I hear you don't notice the smell as much if they are YOUR wells. LMAO

Seriously though, we as a nation are too dependent on oil, and I am quite sure there will be at least some limited production, if not by the government than by groups who know how to make it work like it did before all the high tech gadgetry and computers. Once the dust settles after a worst case scenario people will rise to the occasion, and those who know what they are doing will do what they can to meet the greatest needs, if not for the sake of humanity then to simply put food on the table. Regardless of their motivation I'm confident this will happen.

And in the mean time, maybe I better learn how this refining process is done, imagine the bartering power one would have if he could produce things like kerosene, diesel and gasoline!!

I agree. I was already figuring on getting a few Mustangs and not the GT I have now....lol. I've gotten blueprints for the old western wagons as well and want to build a few. Even if everything doesn't go to he!!, I'll enjoy the wood working and can give the kids hay rides. Ok, So I was born 120 years too late...lol.

<sigh> Been thinking the same thing for more years than most of you are old...lol :P

Hell, I learned how to use a bow and arrow in the boy scouts, and that wasn't enough so I learned how to fight with a halberd, Florentine, sword and shield and battle ax. Learned how to throw a hand ax < I kilo head>, hawk, knife and ax...do I have too much time on my hands or just really weird hobbys?

On the plus side I also learned how to make really really good beer.

<sigh> Been thinking the same thing for more years than most of you are old...lol :P

Hell, I learned how to use a bow and arrow in the boy scouts, and that wasn't enough so I learned how to fight with a halberd, Florentine, sword and shield and battle ax. Learned how to throw a hand ax < I kilo head>, hawk, knife and ax...do I have too much time on my hands or just really weird hobbys?

On the plus side I also learned how to make really really good beer.

Let's see ... all your hobbies involve killing and maiming in brutal, bloody fashion using archaic, albeit very effective, weapons from the past. Nope, nothing weird about that!:P

I don't know how long for you but I was born in the FIRST half of the LAST CENTURY and I've gone down the same road. I find a predilection for the weapons of the middle to late 1800's but I'm not one to quibble. Still, a 9 pounder loaded with chain or grape is a very, very, very messy weapon.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Capt... I like to argue they are just "shotguns" with "poundage bores" instead of gauge bores....lol.

I still remember a friend of my Dad's saying he prefered cutting firewood with a howitzer so he didn't have to split it after cutting it...

"I learned how to use a bow and arrow in the boy scouts, and that wasn't enough so I learned how to fight with a halberd, Florentine, sword and shield and battle ax. Learned how to throw a hand ax < I kilo head>, hawk, knife and ax...do I have too much time on my hands or just really weird hobbys?"

You need to be posting this info down in the "Zombie Talk" thread.. You be elected king during a zombie pockylips! Hahahahahah

Actually, the way we are going or in the advent of a Carrington event we may well GET the chance to live in the 1800's. If so, I'm going to were it's cooler and dryer in the summer. Houston is miserable and I HATE MOSQUITOES. Just saying ....

LOL... I concur Capt. They are a pest even without the biting. After talking to alot of people about possible isues, I do know I am NOT heading to eastern Kentucky or Tennessee. I love the terrain there but it's going to become the largest population center the world has ever seen if everyone goes there that says they are.

Capt, if it does turn into an "1800's" life style, it will be blended with medieval times also. I see just the loss of modern conveniences causing a pandemic with the loss of running water and "indoor" plumbing. There are so many people out there who never consider such "trivial" issues such as septic and potable water because they have never been without. I know, wrong thread.

Capt Bart

Perhaps getting the hell away from Houston BEFORE anything happens might be prudent.

As for the mosquitoes, I much prefer them to those damn big flying cockroaches that Houston seems to have so many of.

Of course once the polar ice caps melt and I have ocean front property here I suppose the mosquitoes and the big flying roaches will be here too.

Actually, the way we are going or in the advent of a Carrington event we may well GET the chance to live in the 1800's. If so, I'm going to were it's cooler and dryer in the summer. Houston is miserable and I HATE MOSQUITOES. Just saying ....

I understand, from the bi-monthly magazine "Insects and Science", that a powerful Carrington Event will sterilze female mosquitoes and similar insects.

Just saying! :o

She was at the Memphis zoo, but that's been at least 10-12 years ago. Made the front page of the paper one Christmas. She convinced the giraffe to wear a Santa Claus hat. Her favorites were the penguins though.

Got attacked by an ant eater and ended up with a staph infection in her shoulder. Guess the ant eaters are as bad as the ants sometime.

Reg,

Agree. Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee have some really beautiful country. I'm just nervous of anyplace East of the Mississippi. Way too many folks. Of course West Virgina might be OK, for that matter, all of Appalachia is beautiful ground as long as you don't get crosswise with someone's still. Convincing them you are NOT a Fed could be awkward. :rolleyes:

Capt, if it does turn into an "1800's" life style, it will be blended with medieval times also. I see just the loss of modern conveniences causing a pandemic with the loss of running water and "indoor" plumbing. There are so many people out there who never consider such "trivial" issues such as septic and potable water because they have never been without. I know, wrong thread.

I agree. Minus running water, pain killers and antibiotics just a whole lot of folks are going to learn they are NOT immune to Mother Nature. Historically the high, cooler country is healthier than the low, hot, damp area.