Sign in to follow this  
Hossfly

WROL,TSHTF,TEOTWAWKI , non verbal comms

Not to disrupt a successful hijack ....... but there is a way to help with maps. I discussed it some in a thread on caches. NEVER mark a map! You might as well post the location on the internet. A better idea is to create an overlay that does not have identify WHERE on a map or either WHICH map the overlay fits. A couple of points that allow orientation and positioning (points known only to the users or the map) and then you have a map that is useful only to the proper users.

There is a piece in the main site called 'hello the camp' http://survivalcache.com/survival-psychology-hello-the-camp/ that talks about meeting another group after TSHTF. It is always a delicate operation because you are always increasing the risk to yourselves. Since both sides can lose or gain by such a meeting, it behooves everyone to be extremely vigilant.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Capt, agreed. I remember the "Hello the Camp" article and still refer back to it when talking to People off line. I agree about "not marking a map" and overlays or Awake's idea of hand drawn maps that don't use all the correct landmarks, etc, falls into the same idea. That's why we like when y'all join a thread; we know good ideas are enroute.

I figure that if I have to put marks on a map it'll be so the overlay will line up right. Second part of that is that it will lead the BGs away from what I'm trying to hide.

Awesome idea vonBayern. Sometimes disinformation and diversions are better than trying to outfight or outmaneuver.

If the electronics remain operational, even on a local level, even preset times and freqs for the FRS radios may be of help. Even if the range they advertise (36 miles) is only 3 miles, that's a loooong way when humping 40#s and traveling with a family unit when you are avoiding being in the open.

I like the idea of the layover too, so long as it's done right. And assuming we have at least limited communications the radio idea and meeting up away from the base could work too.

I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, should have spent more time reading everything before getting involved but that would take till Xmas 2014 at the rate I am going. LoL

But I will read it soon!!

It'll take me longer than that to catch up on the reading I want to do...lol. There could be several different options on commo and/or setting up rest areas for those going to safer pastures.

I see it as we can plan for no electronics but if that 1 event does NOT happen, we have hampered ourselves from utilizing something to make the task easier.

It's ok to hijack the thread when the OP is in on it...lol.... besides, I have my paracord vest and turban on.

Is a paracord vest and turban non-verbal communication? I don't know if it says "Prepper HERE" or "OMG, fashion disaster here!"! Just saying .... :P

CAPT, I guess it would signify both...lol. You could ask my wife about my fashion sense. They eventually took my advice and bought the youngest just plain jeans and some plain shirts for the days I have to get her ready for school.... I see things in just crude colors and if they are actually "2 different" colors of pink, they are both pink to me and were put on her. I guess they didn't think much of my color coordinating efforts.

Ok, to get back on topic and still maintain a line to hijacking, there are several options to learn simple woodcraft signals and signs to be used; whether for being found or locating a hidden cache.

We have several "Survival Guides" out there that go over common use signs, such as the pile of rocks with one left to the side to designate direction of travel or path to follow. Broken branches, small pieces of cloth tied to limbs, tying bunches of grass together, etc.

We also have books dealing with the different sign languages for quiet commo while we are hunting or avoiding a firefight. Other resources for a long term scenario, smoke signals (altho that would be difficult at best), morse code and the telegraph would be a long distance solution utilizing already existing telephone lines, plus our Ham radio operators could provide some needed commo links.

Capt Bart has said in several comments and articles, that a long term event will most likely lead us back to life like the late 1800's. To stay on the commo subject, research the way news travelled and how People communicated during our westward expansion; telegraph and Pony Express will be invaluable if we lose our phones.

I see you all as leaders in your local community, especially after an event. Even with People being able to live relatively comfortable lives after an event (after the initial panic and confusion), small towns and communities will probably survive as a whole for the most part. The one thing that will still drive fear and panic will be the lack of "outside" news. People, regardless of how they are doing or how they feel about the gov't, will want to know how the Nation is doing. This is because we are used to being able to follow a 24 hr news cycle on cable, plus they will want to know if there is any further threats to their survival.

If we find ourselves in a situation where we still have power, even if it's solar and wind generated on a local level, we will or should have some modern commo means.

Personally, I plan for how to get messages and news to and from the other surviving communities by more historic means and then if I am able to still function with my radios or phones, I am that much better off. The only question on commo is how much time you are willing to spend researching the different methods and finding ways to implement them into your plans. The only other issue is money spent on radios and other modern means of commo is wasted if a large EMP hits to reduce our electrical tools to paper weights. I can't speak to the science of an EMP, but plenty of info is available on other threads here. Like everything, even commo must be planned and implemented in stages as to which scenario is the most likely and building preps for each scenario after to include a form of commo to be used. I don't need the Pony Express for a blizzard, but I may if I am bartering some corn for livestock after an EMP with the community 20 miles away.

Just my thoughts on a very variable topic.

Like some a ham radio is in my plans, just not in the budget yet. And while the K30 is the only vehicle with a Cb currently installed I do have a dozen decent units plus a base station I only plan to set up after an event rather than chance lightening or anything from the event damaging it.

As for a buried or hidden cache, once people run out of gas and are traveling on foot the smart ones will use any wooded areas for cover so anything stashed should be well off any roadways and paths. I would suggest using something that is existing and not likely to be moved or destroyed such as rock formations. Find a large formation that looks like Grandma's tits or something and go so many paces east. Then if you wanted others to find it just let them know where and what to look for, maybe even take some pictures.

As for a telegraph setup, that would almost need new wire strung. I do know a little about the phone and cable systems. They are both divided into nodes, the signal can only travel so far without being amplified, these amplifiers do have a battery backup that usually lasts for a day or two but once the battery is dead so is the line and nothing will go though including an energy pulse that might be created by a telegraph type of set up. So in a big event with a massive power loss, once the system is dead it's going to stay dead until full power is restored. For smaller outages the phone company can and does use generators to charge the batteries at each node, but it takes an hour or so to bring each one back up to full power. Oh a huge scale event, they don't have enough manpower or generators to even bother.

Cell phone towers I know nothing about, but even if they have emergency standby generators those will need fuel at some point, and I could be wrong on this but it only seems logical that at some point it has to join a land line system.

Now a satellite phone system may or may not at least allow you to call another satellite phone, so maybe there is some potential there. I honestly don't know, but it may be worth inquiring about.

The other thing that may be worth inquiring about is Huges net, depending on how their satellite actually connects to the internet there may still be some limited internet access via their satellite so long as there is a server connected to it which is still up and running.

CAPT, I guess it would signify both...lol. You could ask my wife about my fashion sense. They eventually took my advice and bought the youngest just plain jeans and some plain shirts for the days I have to get her ready for school.... I see things in just crude colors and if they are actually "2 different" colors of pink, they are both pink to me and were put on her. I guess they didn't think much of my color coordinating efforts.

The Army taught me my fashion sense - I can match any OD colored item with any other OD colored item!:rolleyes: Other than that, my bride helps me pick my clothes (as in 'You're NOT going to wear that shirt with THOSE pants') so I don't look like the geek I am.

Reg,

In a world where denial of cell phone service for a day leads to emotional trauma, imagine what it will be like in a world that moves at pony express speeds?

Heliograph devices are a possibility as are signal fires for short distances. If radio exists it could be a major help in organizing groups of survivors. Information may well travel at the speed of freight wagons. It won't be a fun time; interesting but definitely not fun.

Dr K, I too have the CBs and a ham on the list. A few friends have hams, so as a group/community, we should be covered if the grid stays up.

I don't know much about the telegraph requirements, but the pulse set up makes sense and is probably why they would send down the line and each operator would resend in the old days. I'm still digging into that option.

Capt, I hate to even think about the mass panic the cell phone grid going down will cause. If it drops for more than a week, I imagine the self inflicted trajedies will be extreme, especially among the younger generation who can't function without them. I keep trying to find the O2 line that feeds them from the phone but to no avail....lol.

Freight wagons, Dispatch riders, etc can become our means again and as you said, it will be interesting. After looking at the thread Awake started today, even if the grid is up, it may not be in the best interests of Americans to use it.... JMO.

Just take away the cell phones and we may have as much as a 20% drop in population as the younger generations turn to wrist slashing, closet hangings and jumping from roofs to deal with their anxiety and depression.Of course i wouldn't suggest touching that number as I pulled it out of my arse, but I am betting the actual number would be huge.

And don't completely rule out the rail system, while the newer engines may become worthless due to excessive electronics, the old small switch engines were a simple diesel electric design that may survive an EMP and still function provided a small refinery could be brought back online to produce fuel to run it.

Yup, I'm also a train buff. My grandfather was a senior engineer when I was little and got me hooked at an early age.

What's sad is progress would prevent putting any of the old steam engines that have been restored on a main line, the track gauge is slightly different today. But even with a single switch engine on each main line, that's 20 loaded cars (if I remember right) with a top speed of 45mph I could see the rail system back online on a small scale as soon as there is enough fuel to run it. I still have grandpa's books on them somewhere that would tell us anything we wanted to know including how to run the darn things.