Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

MayDay Survival Bar

A few months back I bought my first emergency survival rations ( MRE, Calorie bars, etc)

I bought ten of the MayDay 2400 Calorie bars. Off of the top of my head I can't remember the "flavor" but will add that later on. I didn't want to open any because they are for emergency situations but I wanted to know if they tasted good or not so lastnight I opened one up and tried it. It is split into six bars but is all one big bar. It hard but easy to bite through kind of like a thick stale brownie. Mine tastes a little like lemon bannana bread but the flavor is subtle. After rolling it around in my mouth for a minute it starts to get a little doughy like uncooked bread but it goes down easy and it does not make you thirsty.

For about four bucks a piece, five year shelf life, ease of storage and carry and is ready to eat I would definitly recommend these and buy more when I have the chance. Has anyone else tried this brand before? If so, what are your thoughts on the product?

Edited by SurvivalCache

Tinderwolf,

Been there, tried it, liked it:)

Since I'm a diabetic consistent meal times can be critical for me. That as much as anything was the driver for trying these. They did a decent job of providing calories without driving my blood sugar nuts.

You are right, they are not exactly gourmet cuisine but they are not bad. Every one in the family agreed they wouldn't be the first meal choice but they are a viable source of nutrition. I have several in my vehicle 72 hour kit and one in my desk kit.

I've had datek and mainstay, yours sounds like mainstay. Actually both brands were fine, although I prefer the mainstay/mayday type.

I'll say the datek doesn't make you thirsty. I can't remember on the other, but I think it wasn't too bad.

My complaint with the datek is that there's no way that's 3600 calories. If it is, its the most unsatisfying 3600 calories I've ever had, because I still feel hungry LOL.

I did keep one in my BOB, till I ate it :) I will getmore though.