Sign in to follow this  
jerry9491

Louis Lamour - What has he taught us?

OC,

yep, they don't all live happily ever after, sometimes the good guys die (not the hero, but they can be maimed), sometimes the bad guys really are not that much different from the good guys etc. Amazingly like life. Glad you liked these two, they are among my favorites as well.

Louis L'Amour truly had a gift. Now I wish I had tried reading these when I was younger, because it would have been fun to be able to talk to my grandpa about them. (He seemed to always have a Louis L'Amour book on hand when I was growing up. At the time, I just thought, "Yuck, cowboys!" LOL)

I just downloaded Hondo and will probably read it over the Thanksgiving weekend.

This thread is really bringing back memories for me. My father was a serious Louis L'Amour fan and at one time own all of his books, in print and out of print. I read them all as well and we had many interesting discussions about the themes and meaning of Mr. L'Amour's work while we were busy hauling hay or milking cows. My father was a prodigious reader who also enjoyed the outdoors and I know he regretted never getting to finish college - he went on a basketball scholarship but had to quit to come home and take over the family farm when his father's health declined. He turned me on to several authors, including Mr. L'Amour, Elmer Kelton and Elmer Keith to name a few. Now that my father has been stricken with Alzheimer's and is in assisted living, I think about those talks when I go to visit him.

I haven't updated my "what I've read" list here for a while. Absolutely loved Hondo, by the way!

So glad you mentioned Louis L'Amour; I just read two more of his books and liked one considerably more than the other (although both were still better than 80% of the fiction out there).

The first book was Radigan, which was basically the story of a very small cattle war; Tom Radigan has been working his ranch for four years and comes home after moving his small herd to almost get his head blown off by a hired gunman. The very next day, a cultured young woman and her brother show up and announce they are the rightful owners of his property and send their hired hands to try to drive Radigan and his long-time friend and ranch hand off their land.

The second book was North to the Rails and I really had no idea how (or if) Tom Chantry, the main character, was going to make it. Born in the west but raised in the east after his father was killed by gunfighters, Chantry "doesn't believe" in carrying a pistol or engaging in random violence. This doesn't stop Dutch Akin from calling him out on his first night in Las Vegas, but instead of facing him, Chantry simply sets about trying to find a large herd of cattle that he can drive to the railroad at Dodge (as a way to impress and enrich his future father-in-law). Word travels of his cowardice, and no cowboys will ride with him because they don't think he has the mettle to see it through. Finally one cowhand with a bad reputation offers to get a team together, on one condition: If Chantry doesn't ride with the herd all the way to the rail, the cowhand gets to keep the herd for himself. Imagine his surprise when the first member of his new team arrives: Dutch Akin. And that's only the first little twist that Chantry encounters! It's really fun to try to guess what's going to be thrown his way next, and whether he'll learn from his mistakes in time to save himself and his investment.

Okay, I've added To Tame a Land to my Kindle! Any Louis L'Amour book is not a hard sell for me now. LOL I really liked North to the Rails because the story touched on what it means to carry a gun - or not - and examines the difference between believing in non-violence when you're in a civilized setting versus on the frontier. And there was a lot about the character of a man and following your own conscience, and the regrets that come when you act too hastily (also the danger of not responding quickly to a threat). Loved it!

Finished Guns of the Timberlands. In some ways, it was a little like Radigan in that it was a cattle war where someone (Devitt) is trying to steal the land out from under another guy's (Clay Bell's) cattle ranch. Devitt is traveling with the regional judge and his daughter, who Devitt plans to marry. But as Bell stands his ground and Devitt unleashes his goons on Bell's ranch hands, his bride-to-be starts reevaluating who is "the better man." And Bell and Devitt come to the realization that their strings are being pulled by a third party. Really interesting and a lot of fun to read!

Also read To Tame a Land and it was AMAZING. Definitely in my top five Louis L'Amour books. The story opens with 12-year-old Rye Tyler and his dad getting left behind by their wagon train, and follows Tyler as he learns about what it means to be a man in the west and the responsibility that every man has to create the kind of world they want America to become. Absolutely fantastic look at how character, conviction, and tenacity shape a person's life and the lives of those they encounter.

I knew you'd like that one. That book has earned it's place in my library at my BOL. I can't think of many better books for young people growing up to be responsible adults, learning to make their own choices and deal with the consequences. The world can always use more people like Rye Tyler.

Thanks for the recommendation, catfish hunter. It was definitely a great read, and something worth revisiting!

And I completely, jerry9491 - there aren't "bad" Louis L'Amour books. There are just some that grab you a little more than others. LOL